Best textbook on Greek mythology?

Name the most comprehensive textbook on Greek Mythology, the gods, the legends and the culture.
Also could anyone give a complete list of the major works from that time that refer to their own myths?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Brills-New-Pauly-Vols-Encyclopedia/dp/9004122591/
pastebin.com/17BuEyuq
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Richepin
archive.org/details/nouvellemytholog01rich
archive.org/details/nouvellemytholog02rich
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

theoi.com

amazon.com/Brills-New-Pauly-Vols-Encyclopedia/dp/9004122591/

pastebin.com/17BuEyuq

The pleasures of mythology is reading the myths themselves, not a dry summary/textbook.
Read homer, hesiod, theognis and the Homeric hymns.

Edith Hamilton

Theognis has not much to do with myths, although there are theological elements in his work. Because he is an early poet, he is in the Penguin edition of Hesiod, but that does not make him a mythologist.

Ovid's metamorphoses is p good. It's an embedded narrative that runs through almost all of the span of classical myth.

That was more for the culture part of OPs request

Culture of Critique by Kevin Macdonald, it made me think about the subversion of the Aryan by the Judeo Christian jew a lot.

Is The Cambridge Companion to Greek Mythology "good"?

don't fall for the hamilton meme
best is hard

start with the greeks

why not?

Thanks guys, these are the books I'm going to get:
Homer: The Odyssey, The Iliad
Hesiod: Theogony, Anthology(Works and Days)
Ovid: Metamorphoses

First off, hello from Greece. I had to do my research on greek mythology and stuff, and I can tell you that this:

is really a legit website. This person did a fantastic and accurate enough job.

Also, this guy:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Richepin
wrote a Greek Mythology that was quite easy and fast to read and it was almost everything major in a nutshell.
I got a copy in Greek of both tomes, I found both tomes online in French, here:

archive.org/details/nouvellemytholog01rich

archive.org/details/nouvellemytholog02rich

Keep in mind that many myths have a LOT of different variations on "how things happened" with other myths.

Thus as that guy suggested:
This website is your best source. For real.
Καλή μελέτη.

Same guy here.

These are the best sources yes, especially if you seek the sources of ancient Greek Mythology.
Especially Hesiod, that has the Theogony.

what do you think about mythology by edith hamilton?

>edith hamilton

Dame guy here again.

Well as always, I will be honest with you.
I never read her books, but it seems that she has done a magnificent job.
Her books are said to be a great start for College Students in the USA, and she was awarded for her work. by Greek Kingdom (we had a king back then) in 1957 awarded the Golden Cross of Good Deeds or something and was also awarded the Citizenship for Athens.
That kind of awards means that she did something really outstanding that does not insult Greece in any way but on contrary it was something deserving honor, so...

I have no opinion on her work since I never read it, I don't believe governments don't do mistakes, but it seems it is all right, because such a mistake would cause major problems to a king, so...

I assume she was okay. :)

ty for the response and for the sources.
also, i hope to go as soon as possible to greece
:))

Don't rush it, organize it well. :)

Take care hand have an enjoyable research.
Love from Greece.