I'm moving into a new place /ck /. I've got no food at all and a $500 budget. What's my grocery list look like?

I'm moving into a new place /ck /. I've got no food at all and a $500 budget. What's my grocery list look like?

That Entirely depends on where you're moving to

And what you like to eat, and if you have an allergies or other medical issues to take into account. It also depends on if you're religious or you have some other mental problems like vegetarianism or veganism.

Same city, I live in canada
I'll try anything. No medical issues, no other preferences.

OH BOI HERES A LONG COMMENT,

Get mulk. Got mulk? gud.

VEGETABLES:

Well um if you like savory vegs and hearty dishes go for cheap still filling veggies no soyboy shit. A good place to start is with yellow, onions garlic and potatoes, broccoli, green onions and some cabbage plus carrots. They're all really versatile in cooking and I often don't use a dish without at least what I've mentioned.

MEATS:

Meats, now It's good to go for chicken filets and boneless stirfry slices for versatile use, beef IMO are the best eating as marinated stakes where you want to get the most juice out of your red meat as possible I don't stirfry them and use them as the focus of a meal instead of a base or side. Lamb is pretty good but others don't like it.
Salmon is another staple meat of my diet, Atlantic or Pacific the closer you live to the coast the better. If you live let's say in Vancouver or Toronto get it! But it gets less tolerable inland, lemon goes well with it off course. Eggs too and begon straps.

SNACKS AND FRUIT:

Greek yogurt is a good substitute for mayonnaise and it's a good protein source as a snack, and try cottage cheese too. I don't usually get juices and i don't have a good reason not too. I get olives, cheese it doesn't have to be expensive I get smoked swiss and gouda for cheap feta too if you like it. Cream crackers, cherry tomatoes as well. Bananas are dirt cheap and good I never left the grocery store in the past 5 years without half a bunch, peaches and apples they're cheap too. You can get shit from the snack aisle too I get kettle cooked chips, Oatmeal bars, and Oreos.

BREAD AND GRAIN:
Get some basmati or jasmine rice. Flour, grab it, it always comes in handy. Use a rice maker too it helps.
Now for bread, this is pretty much up to whatever you really like. I go for french bread for slicing and using with egg. I can always dry them to make crostini and garlic pieces of bread. Ciabatta is good too for making leftover meat sammiches and shit with too. General Personal preference.

IT"S Veeky Forums
Search up you're own dishes and meals and slowly build up your personal catalog of meals and recipes so it's easier to shop for shit at the store. I eat a lot of Mediterranean and Eastern European Dishes so a lot of these ingredients are pretty common, but these are what I would always get if I go grocery shopping regardless of the day. Hope that helped OP

I usually think of a few meals I'd like to eat and buy what I need to cook those meals. Why would you do anything else?

Eggs
Bread
Salmon, red snapper, and dover sole
Maybe some crab/lobster meat
Pasta
Jar of tomato sauce
Carrots
Lettuce
Celery
Cucumber
Mushrooms
Dill
Mint
Onion
Garlic
Bell Peppers/Spicy peppers
Potatoes
Apples
Oranges
Banana's
Lemon
Grapefruit
Butter
Olive oil
Flour
Rice
Salt/pepper/paprika/bay leaves
Vegetable stock and some bullion cubes
Cheese/herb cream cheese of some sort if you want
Hummus
Olives (kalamata personally)
Tzatziki
Pistachio's/other nuts
Dried fruit (apricots/prunes/mango)
Canned tuna in olive oil (try to find the good stuff from Spain or Italy)
If you want more snacks a bag of potato chips, instant noodles and a half decent frozen pizza is always nice to have around. Also I don't know if you're big on dark chocolate but dark chocolate and berries are always nice to have.
Also a few bottles of wine and some beer

If I had a $500 budget this is what I would buy moving into a new place anyway. Happy cooking OP

Awesome stuff! Thanks

You gotta buildup, so start with basics...

>vinegars
>rice
>pastas
>spices

ive done this so many times, that literally, every time, it starts with those 4.

from there

>syrups
>frozen goods
>nuts
>sauce stock
>soup stock

etc.

i cannot stress the importance though of having a good amount of rice, and vinegars/syrup in hand. After that, all you gotta do is collect proteins

I'm glad Herzog has gotten back into his old style. His recent stuff is bland as fuck.

How long until you have a steady source of income and will it be enough to support luxuries?

If you're not secure yet, balance flavor with calories, considering other nutrients temporarily an added benefit.

I agree with suggestions like whole-fat milk and real butter, as they are filling and contain both calories and nutrients. They also make everything taste better which means you're not as likely to get bored with them. Cheap cheese is also a great binder with fat, protein, vitamins, and flavor.

Meats should be whatever is cheapest. If it's on sale, freeze it for later use. Do not go for lean cuts as they contain less calories. Also fatty foods taste better and are more filling. Don't be afraid of salting things if you drink plenty of water, better too much sodium than not enough. I drink nearly a gallon of water a day and my kidneys are spotless.

Flour costs almost nothing. So do eggs and sugar, and baking soda and baking powder. Keep these around to make breakfast items and breads, or to make pastries.

Keep mirepoix and trinity in mind. Onions are probably the most important thing and really cheap, carrots, celery, squash (including summer squashes), beans, and corn.

Garlic is antimicrobial so it has nutrition and takes a long time to go bad, and makes everything savory better. Kale also stays for a surprising amount of time. I really wouldn't recommend mushrooms as they're low calorie and low nutrition, only good for flavor and the small amount of cancer-risk reducing agents are killed by cooking.
You can pretty much live off of peanut butter. Make satiating snacks because you will eat less during lunch or dinner.

$500 worth of human semen

I do have a steady income, my gf and I will both be living there and we pull in about 5 grand a month all together. Meats aren't a problem for me, by brother is a butcher and I get all my stuff off him for cheap
Thanks so much

Stir fries and soups are an endless source of free recipes. You can eyeball everything and cook seasonally.

Learn the cooking times of ingredients that you like/crave, add them at intervals, and serve with some rice, bread, or crackers. Stir fries and soups both make use of aromatics followed by a protein (optional), vegetables, legumes (also optional), and spices/sauces.

I'm going to slim down my kitchen before the Christmas break ends. My plan is to get down to only the things on this list:

dutch oven
rice cooker
wok
blender
vegetable brush
vegetable peeler
chef's knife
cutting board
few long wooden utensils
ladel

That's all I need and everything else is weighing me down.

If you pull in a steady $5k/month, why are you even making one of these stupid "I am poverty, pls halp foods!?!" threads?

-a few choice cuts of steak (can be frozen)
-hamburg (can be frozen)
-shiitake mushrooms (or canned mushrooms if you're not going to make the steak right away, they get mushy quick)
-a couple lobsters
-a bottle of good bourbon
-sushi rice
-tuna
-avacados
-a sushi tatami
-sheets of nori (seaweed)
-soy sauce
-two onions
-greek dressing (or a bottle of balsamic vinaigarette)
-a bag of grapefruits (or citrus of choice)
-various spices / garlic powder
-canned sardines in mustard
-canned oysters
-a 6-pack of Dr. Pepper
-a 6-pack of beer
-a bag of spinach
-snacks / chips of choice
-popcorn
-butter
-cheese
-grapefruit juice (or orange juice)
-if you don't own one, a good pan
-bread
-milk
-mayo
-various canned goods / soups
-mustard
-ketchup
-hot sauce
-there's probably more to get but it's a start

Beans and rice

A $500 budget for how long? These things are important.

If it's $500 for the entire year be prepared for your diet to consist mostly of rice, beans, and ramen.

If it's $500 per week then the options are near limitless.

I don't know where you're coming up with poverty stuff, I never said I was poor. I just want to get a good grocery list before I go shopping. I have my own list already, I just thought maybe I'd see what other people have and try it too.

This is a one time thing, big shopping haul. Rest of the time I can get by on 300 a month or thereabouts

What grocery store do you go to where you can buy bourbon?

most of them, where the fuck do you live??

Not that poster but you can't do that in canada, they have separate liquor stores

Sea salt/ kosher salt
table salt for pasta water & baking
peppercorns & a pepper mill

canola oil (high smoke point neutral flavor, cheap) for shallow/ deep frying
rice bran oil/ peanut oil for everything (high smoke point neutral flavor & nicer)
Cheapish olive oil for frying italian dishes, oiling pasta after cooking, mayo
expensive olive oil for salad dressings
sesame oil for seasoning asian food/ dressings (add at end)
butter for frying fish, french food, flavor, toast
coconut oil for memeing it up

white vinegar for pickling/ multipurpose
white wine vinegar & balsamic for dressings
rice wine vinegar for asian food

dijon & wholegrain mustard
chilli flakes & cayenne pepper
5 spice
powdered cinnamon
powdered cumin
powdered coriander
whole coriander & whole cumin if you have a spice grinder and like making curries
whole star anise
whole nutmeg
paprika
tumeric

Sesame seeds
peanuts (roast both)

Ginger
Garlic
Onions
Chilli
Frozen galangal
lemons