Can Veeky Forums recommend any good horror books?

Can Veeky Forums recommend any good horror books?
I've read some King but he's rather hit and miss, and I'm not interested in his larger mythology.

Thomas Ligotti

Scary Perry

King has no larger mythology.
He fills 800 page rectangles with words.
Actual thrills not included.

>

you can start with the catalog

I think Pet Sematary and Misery are pretty good. He has some really intense short stories as well.

"I have no mouth and I must scream"

He's all about Marvel-tier "connections" though
Like Randall Flag and the clown from It turning up in the Dark Tower books

I just read this after discovering on Veeky Forums
Lots of real-world "horrors of war" stuff with a tinge of the supernatural creeping in around the edges (like a character who might be a Djinn or might just be a crazy old man who lives in a well)
Just ignore shitty cover

Ligotti

I'm authoring a horror story in real time. Its pretty fun. I even get paid to do it, submitting a few chapters at a time. Its about a band of little monkeys who must dance whenever their patron bids. They don't like dancing, but he just says " Would you kindly dance for me, little monkeys" and there they go, right off at it! Its a horror story because they're dancing so much, its killing them, the poor monkeys.

The Night Land. I guarantee it will be like nothing you've read before.

How do I get a job like this???

seems interesting

The King in Yellow
The Other Side

A good referral.

you can read that in 10 minutes.

Dude, you're beginning to come off like the Culture of Critique nutsac. Don't obsess over one thing on every thread.

Langan's The Fisherman is a recent but very good one. Any of Lovecraft's famous stories is great too.

Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg

Go get some of the Dark Horse EC comics archives.
Those are pretty much where King gets his ideas.

King turned boring sometime in the mid 90s, probably when he sobered up. His early books are entertaining.