Rate my skirt steak

Rate my skirt steak

Poor Sear/10

Not thick enough.

Could be browner. Reddish pink and juicy though.

It is possible to get a proper sear while still getting a rare inside, you know.

literally 2 min a side. i thought my cast iron was gonna give me a good sear but she failed me today
checked. you know i used to eat medium well but eating med rare is soooo much better. not a meme

>cast iron failed me today
you failed you today

no, you failed today

100% this. Cast iron can't help what it is, you just didn't heat it up enough.

Today, you let down cast iron by not fulfilling it's purpose.

it's shit.

You're the only thing that failed today.

You pulled a jack, bro. Make sure it's actually hot next time.

>2 minutes a side
You need to crank the heat up way higher, a steak that thick should only be one minute per side at most.

it was smoking when i put it on. i should mention that the top of the steak in the pic is actually the bottom cause i couldnt get a good picture. still the top wasnt that much more brown.

Damn maybe it was the self aware cast iron pan that caused this

All that tells me is that you cooked the oil past its smoke point.

>it was smoking when i put it on
Tell it to get back to work.
>i should mention that the top of the steak in the pic is actually the bottom cause i couldnt get a good picture.
The oil is smoking does not indicate a temperature. You can get vegetable oil way hotter than olive oil or un-clarified butter. Also if your pan was too narrow or tall it might have steamed itself.

Because you are throwing a room temperature or cold object onto a heated surface, you should kick the temperature up after dropping it then reduce it back down. You're causing a massive thermal drain making it only seem like you're cooking at a reasonable temp.

skirt steak should be seasoned and beaten paper thin. then thrown on a scorching hot grill for like 60 seconds per side

And by that you mean marinated, roasted, and thinly sliced on a heavy side bias against the grain. Right?

You can beat the shit out of any piece of meat and/or let papaya or pineapple tenderize it, but fucking up a skirt steak with a hammer is damned retarded when cutting it properly will do.

there's a carniceria by me that seasons flank steak, then puts it through some type of roller...it comes out paper thin. grill it for about a minute on each side and it is fucken killer....throw it on a buttered, corn tortilla with cotija or oaxaca cheese and wash it down with a cold beer....shit's cash.

I just feel like any cut of meat is going to be super-tender when that thin. A lot of roulades exist for a reason, toughened land animals can be made into butter with some diligence and a mallet. I just think cheaper cuts could be done the same way with the same taste.
>oaxaca cheese
Love it. It's hard to not just snack on it.

T H I C C M E L O N

bad sear. let your meat sit out till it's room temp, pat it dry, and put it on the pan as hot as it will go to sear both sides, then turn it down to let it cook through till whatever level of doneness you desire

Not cooked over coals/10
meh

Not as good as this one

lukewarm

Skirt steak > ny strip
100% fact

Would be nice if it was cooked

Agree to disagree

This whole meal looks pretty meh.

False

Keep that up and you'll be wearing a skirt proteinqueen

That is NOT medium rare

buy some plain white plates nigga.

Yeah I know it's shit. I have a bunch of pic related in reserve, but Hell, the corellewear was free before college and I can't stand to get rid of perfectly functional things

Corelle is surprisingly durable, especially the old stuff. Nothing wrong with using an attractive and practical item. I'm in the process of unfucking a dresser that's likely over 70 years old. It's a mess with having 4 years of abusive painting over the stain and lacquer, and fucking wallpaper on one side, but it's only going to cost me under 30 USD and some time to restore rather than buy a cheap knockoff for at least 200 USD.

Take care of your shit, especially if it's old. If it survived this long chances are it will survive longer.

With the risk of sounding like some old geezer, stuff from the pre 60s was just built to last forever, and will likely be better than anything made recently provided you care for it. Most of my tools are from the 50s and will likely last 100 years after me too.

>those dry ass potatoes

...they weren't dry

no way that is skirt, the meat and taters look tasty as fuck though. and I dig the plate

It's a ny strip. "This one" referred to steak not the cut

Raw, the way a steak should be

looks kinda oily, but yummy, would eat

Look at this queer

center looks a little closer to rare than medium rare, unless that's what you're going for. definitely needs more of a sear on top though