How to break a picky eater?

Any pointers? Adult, by the way.

Keep them in a rape dungeon or somewhere almost devoid of any stimulation feeding them nothing but soylent for at least a couple months.

I don't have the money for a dungeon sadly

shoot them in the head and incinerate the corpse

use a smaller scale

>picky eater
>Adult
Afraid not.

Which items does this individual think of as food? The most important thing is that the individual in question actually wanta to get out of it.

Basically, most vegetables aren't food.

Time, mostly. My husband only ate about five different dishes when I met him, and I learned how to cook those five things very well. So much so he began to trust my cooking and maybe once every other month I'd try making a new dish that was similar to what he liked, but had maybe one or two other ingredients he never had before. Sometimes they were a hit, sometimes not, but I learned what tastes he'd enjoy from those experiments and try again next time.

He's still picky after about 7 years but nowhere near as bad. Make the kitchen your domain and don't try to change them, just introduce and let them explore. Most picky eaters just never got exposed to different dishes, so do that for them.

So the person(?) accepts pretty much any meat as food? How about potatoes? Rice? Pasta? Fruits? Nuts? Sauce? Spices?

There's a reason I asked for what the person eats instead of what it doesn't eat.

Depends on the meat, seafood not so much, generally fried though. Potatoes yes, rice no, pasta no, fruits yes, nuts yes, not a fan of much more than salt and pepper.

a few months without good will fix that.

It's really hard to break picky eaters. I had an ex that I worked with for about a year of adding one or two 'odd' ingredients so she'd get a taste for it but we had a big blow out where she said she was sad í was trying to change her and there's no reason we shouldn't have two separate diets. Maybe I did it wrong, but her and every other picky 'adult' never change.

either cut the onions small and/or cook them before adding to a dish
make sure your mushrooms are clean and don't use canned
make sure broccoli and cauliflower and brussel sprouts are cooked nice and soft, by roasting with garlic oil preferably

when I was young I wasn't the biggest fan of a lot of vegetables but I loved vegetable pizza like pic related so I knew I wasn't doomed forever. and those are all raw. maybe cut them small if you try a veg pizza and put a good amount of cheddar cheese on top

basically try to cook the foods that are in question better than you've ever had.
I love veg now, every savory dish needs onion in my opinion and I wish I had a mushroom garden because there to expensive and I want to use more of them. broccoli and brussel sprouts are some of my favorite side dishes. thank god

At least it isn't on a tendie diet. But does it actually want to change or are you wanting to do it involuntarily?

This is some legit advice

Make sure the actual food is generally delicious, and when you do incorporate new ingredients make them important for the actual taste so you can't take them out and still have the same dish. This is how I'm starting to get over my long hatred of coconut, I've had a couple of stews that I can't say would be as good without the coconut.

When you realize that the ingredient has a legitimate place in the kitchen you start being a lot more accepting of it and that will make everything so much easier.

>But does it actually want to change
nope

>to get over my long hatred of coconut
congratulations, I never understood how someone hates coconut

Welp, you're more or less fucked.

If it's a loved one you have to ask yourself if you want to eat with this person person every single day for the next 50-70 years. Don't ever expect someone to change their personality for your sake, people only ever do it for themselves.

Thanks, it has a really weird taste to me but there were several things I didn't like that I tolerate, like or even love now that I've grown up and started cooking for myself.

The two things I can think of that I still hate with a passion is the domestic "yellow curry" blend that everyone uses to make "curries" and fucking caraway seeds. The first of the two I'm sure I could get used to if I cared.

Monitoring this thread as an adult (in name only) picky eater. I'm by no means unwilling to try new things and my palate isn't as restricted as some, I just have very strong "like vs. don't like" food opinions that I've found impossible to break.
My main problem is that there are a few extremely common dishes/ingredients that I don't like at all. Specifically broccoli, peas and corn, and basically all salads.
Send help.

Have you tried eating sweet green peas that aren't overcooked with a bit of butter and salt as a side with something like mashed potatoes and steak or a hearty beef stew?

Frozen peas shouldn't be boiled or they'll be overcooked, they just need to be heated in hot water.

If you don't like them when cooked "right" it'll be trickier, incorporate them into dishes where they "belong" and don't take over the taste of the dish.

Salads are boring as fuck unless you spice it up with vinegrette or balsamic vinegar. An entry into salads may be something like a chicken salad (without mayo and stuff that completely hides the salad). Remember that lettuce taste like nothing at all and the obly purpose it has ever had is to be tasteless and crispy.

I've never had curry and I have no Idea what caraway seeds are. but that doesn't concern me if I'm almost 40 and never had to deal with them.
the only thing that I might never try is sauerkraut only because of the smell. it was only a year and a half ago that I realized all cabbage wasn't shit. and finally tried coleslaw because of this basically. and had some regular cabbage and what ever the meat that is usually eaten with sauerkraut. I dread tomorrow because the house will smell like sauerkraut. fuck
>peas and corn
how? I have a cousin like this meat and taters only. I want to choke him every time he eats here

Tfw onion immediately triggers my gag reflex, no matter what form it's presented in (Other than powder).

I want to eat onion so bad, it's tasty, but as soon as my mouth feels the onion I immediately violently gag as my brain puts it together.

This also happens to me whenever I have a sauce that has chunks of tomato/onion/whatever in it. Even if I enjoyed the first 2/3 of it, as soon as I get a chunk of tomato, or even some skin I violently gag.

It's fucking suffering and I have tried probably close to 100 times to get over it, everything from "it being a surprise" to literally sitting with a bucket and a plate of chunky sauce pasta and forcing myself to eat it

In general I can't do anything soft/slimy, but those two things are the only one I have a violent reaction to

Iceburg Lettuce tastes like dirty water to me and I can't stand it. I get everything without lettuce unles they have romaine/spring mix/spinach

Corn is too sweet, peas I just find completely intolerable, both have an unpleasant texture. The one exception to the rule is I'm willing to eat a good samosa if it has peas in it.

>never had curry
That's too bad, they can be absolutely amazing when done right.

Caraway seeds are used here mostly to spice the traditional liquor we drink at holidays, but it's sometimes also in bread every now and then. No big deal really.

>violently gag
this makes me smile, I wish I could see it

>Caraway seeds
so I wikipedia searched and these are the things in sausage that I wondered why they're not ground up. there good
Someday I'd like to try curry but I doubt I'm going out of my way to try it.
I use to hate lettuce but after I ate a spinach salad, I started to eat lettuce more and more. now I'm not the kind of person that eats salad, maybe once every 7-10 years, but I like lettuce on burgers or tacos/nachos and other stuff. just not a ton of it.

When I met my girlfriend she was the worst pickiest eater I had ever met. That spastic bitch would only eat macaroni and cheese and then complain when she went from 55kg to ~68kg. Smart girl. So, she moved in with me but I wasn't going to buckle to her cravings of exclusively eating Mac & Cheese every single day. I cooked whatever I normally I cooked, and if she didn't like it, tough shit. Beyond operating a microwave and having no money she had no choice other than to eat my delicious food.

does she enjoy the foods now or is it like the user about that his "ex" went apeshit for trying to change her

more like
>I just like to stare at myself while shitting on the sidewalk

>does she enjoy the foods now
Yep. I've introduced her to red meat, spicy food, asian/pajeet dishes (all of which she said she 'hated'), and taught her dumb ass how to cook some basic dishes.

every time I go out for lunch with my boss he orders the chicken tendies with fries.
I never used to believe in memes
>at least he pays

didn't mean to link you, my man.
It was the easiest way to reply to thread, and I am too drunk to remember to delete the link.
Glad you got your gf on the straight and narrow, hopefully she isn't a stuck up bitch hat won't kiss after cunnilingus

usually that's a safe order, and tasty enough. oddly enough the only time I had food poisoning. was ordering that.
I went to a diner style restaurant about one in the morning and the waitress informed me that all the cooks but one quit/walked out (leave right away if this happens to you). so I figured there is no way they are breading their own chicken strips. I was wrong. you could see that it was breaded in a bunch of the chunks when you near the end of your dredging flour. I can handle that. but I think he grabbed my fries right after and cross contaminated them. I woke up like four hours later throwing up for a couple hours. one more restaurant I won't go back to.
I'm to drunk to realize you replied to my thread anyway

>four hours later
food poisoning takes longer than 4 hours

that's what I've head but I don't believe it after that night. I'm not the kind of person that has a "weak tummy". but when you wake up like that and need to hurl. ????

My friend is like this. He is almost 30 and will eat pretty much only three things: Pizza, chicken fingers, or french fries.

He is gay, pretty obese, and won't even go to Thanksgiving dinner with his boyfriend because he doesn't like any of the traditional dishes.

Is there hope?

If there is a will there is a way. Otherwise your hope is wasten on him

>He is gay
>Is there hope?
afraid not
>My friend
Oh My