twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Low n slow

COOKIN UP PULLED PORK IN DA CROC POT

>Low n slow

high and fast nigga

1200C 5 minutes per pound

Which oven even goes up to 1200C?

Cut into strips. Marinade with teriyaki or filipino style. Skewer and grill

Is pork shoulder the new meme part now? How long before the price shoots up to $40/lb?

You shouldn't do that with a skin-on cut fampai
I buy it because it's cheap, tolerant, and tastes good. If it becomes the new meme cut I might just kms

glassblowers ovens

they use them for food all the time

guaranteed terrible

Micro for 4 min. Serve w avocado toast

That would suck on so many levels. But I doubt it will happen.

i just took one out of the smoker. i'll post pics in a little while after it rests for an hour or two and i have a chance to pull the blade out and shred it.

Bls do. I just bought a huge one and usually make pernil with it, but the skin's only on a small part of the roast so I'm looking for ideas. Won't be able to smoke it, but it'd be nice to see your results.

god i hope not. i feed my family one of those a few days per month. we do bbq pulled pork for one meal and use the meat as a substitute for something more expensive or less tasty on several others.
i'd fucking grow my own pigs if shoulder went through the roof price wise.

i got a picnic one with a large portion of the skin on the other day for our christmas dinner with family, but i took the skin off to smoke separately for dog treats.

>skin off to smoke separately for dog treats
naw naw, you smoke it then crisp it in the oven

you know, i was gonna, but i decided against it last minute.
i almost regret it now, but it's in the freezer and i could still scrape the fat off the inside and make chicharones i guess.

Depends on what I plan to make with it.

I picked up some boneless shoulder at the store yesterday that I plan to smoke tomorrow. I cut a bunch of slashes all over it, put a dry rub on it with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, chipotle powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper and I'm letting it sit overnight. I'll smoke it tomorrow for probably 4 or 5 hours, then sear on the grill and chop it up to make tacos. I'm also going to make some tomatillo salsa and some rice with corn and poblanos to go with it.

I usually put them in a pea soup that I portion and keep in the freezer for whenever I need a quick lunch.

that sounds good.

The skin is one of the best parts if you do it right, tho. Reading your post was physically painful.
Add a little bit of apple cider vinegar, trust me on this one.
You make big enough batches of pea soups to the point where you can chuck a shoulder in there?

At my job, we score the top and coat the whole thing with a simple rub (salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar.)
We then smoke it with mesquite wood at 204 degrees until internal temp is 190° F (at about 165°, we put them into a pan and continue to let it smoke.)
It's a great cut because with this method, it's nearly impossible to fuck up.

Nah senpai, belly sure but not for shoulder

Try doing Vietnamese pork. You make a sauce from fish sauce and spices. You simmer the shoulder cut in cubes until tender and the sauce is thick and starts browning.

post pics before you pull the blade too, please
>mesquite wood
doesn't that type of wood overpower the flavor? I've tried masquite once and hated it but hickory and apple is so much less overpowering, that I loved it

i planned to score it and crisp it under the broiler, but it was going to be perfectly smoked no matter what. it's not like i'm doing whole hog and using bits of crispy skin to add texture to pork plates or sandwiches. it was a square foot of skin.

Sounds like a great method

Which spices?
Sounds delicious, but the skin is the best part of the cut. Would you suggest a smoker?

hahahaha
>not smoking

>before i pull the blade.
i will since you asked.
i'm really looking forward to it. i'm finishing it in the oven and it just hit 191. i'm about to go throw it in a cooler and i'll see you again at about 10:15 central.

Porc à la Poêle

Dont have a smoker :(

i'm not working with an egg or komado style. i don't have electric or propane either. i got a cheap dyna glo charcoal 36'' at the beginning of the year, and it's suited me fine. i like handling the fire maintenance myself as well.
you'll have to do your research if you're about to try to spend a grand or more on a big outfit.
i'd personally go with one of the komado or eggs if i was looking to upgrade to something big, but only because i prefer charcoal to other fuels.

look up "carnitas"

mesquite can become overpowering especially at the higher side of the low spectrum. at the temp he's describing and with sparing use of wood, it can be okay with pork just like beef.

>You make big enough batches of pea soups to the point where you can chuck a shoulder in there?
Well, yeah. I throw a shoulder and a package of yellow peas (however much is in a package idk, maybe a kilo dried) in a big pot and get about 7 liters total. Of course with some spices and such but it isn't a very exciting food.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Wow, I'm an idiot. I love carnitas, but making it has never crossed my mind.

White pepper, red flakes if you like it hot, or regular ground pepper. I'd recommend the white pepper though. Look up Thit kho to.

You can make a makeshift one you know? Probably a cool idea for a homemade present or something.

Pull the trigger and get one user. It's a whole different sport in terms of flavor.

someone recommend me a webm converter please.

I got my original recipe from here,

recipetineats.com/vietnamese-caramel-pork

This sounds delicious, user. I'm probably going to do a more traditional roast for new year's though. Definitely saving this for the future.

i second that. that looks really great.
thanks

It's cheap, and I found this after getting tired of eating slow cooked pork. No matter what it has the same kind of flavor, this is something very different.

Also. Don't go overboard with the fish sauce. It's very potent.

I wonder what it would taste like if converted to roast format

don't know. could be really good with the pork belly option that's in the recipe.

There's something similar made in a ramen or soup format, so that may work.

Remove the skin and fry it up for chicaronnes/pork rinds. Smoke the meat for around 4 hours with a nice mesquite wood then drop it in a crock pot with about 1/4 cup vinegar some garlic and brown sugar cook it till it falls apart.

This sounds pretty good, kind of similar to pork adobo which is one of my favorite ways to cook shoulder.

Pic related. Pork adobo I made a few weeks ago with coconut rice and sauteed kale and radishes.

cut into 1 to 2 inch chunks, boil in a pot of salted water with onion garlic and jalapeno if you want spice. let it simmer for a couple hours until all the liquid books off, mash it up a bit with a fork so it's somewhere between chunked and shredded. carnitas are the best

Terribly sorry for the flash effect. The flash on my phone completely destroyed the dark beautiful bark color.

Here's the pulled meat. I also made a video, but the webm will be a min. I love smoked pork shoulder!

thanks
damns that looks good
what spices do you put in that container?

Salt, black pepper, paprika, chili powder, mustard powder, turbanado sugar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, cumin, a touch of cinnamon for the holiday flavor.

garlic powder between paprika and chili

As pernil. Look it up. Basically marinate in an extreme version of Italian salad dressing, then roast.

do you use it as a rub and after you break it up or just after?

both. i season it after i break it into large chunks and then i pour some of the drippings back into it. and finish the shred. here's that blade shot.

it was hot still. very. ideally i would have left it for another half hour or more, but i wanted to upload it for benefit and glory of people of Veeky Forumsstan

nice. thanks
I don't think I've ever had tasty pulled pork. it was always dry

I did wonder about that. your a true hero. hopefully it doesn't dry out like I just mentioned

i've got the season and drippings webm making.
i feel like this one would have been super juicy anyway considering it was 30 outside when i started it around noon and it had plenty of time for that more stubborn fat to render gently into the meat. i cannot wait to warm it in a skillet with some more of the juice and throw it in a taco or on a bun.

>tfw somebody on Veeky Forums makes something good
based as fuck. thank you for sharing

well apparently 120 seconds is max for webm on Veeky Forums. i just cut the last convert down to 60 seconds and it's working now.

does it not fit Veeky Forums limits? where are you posting it?

it was a couple thousand k short of the size, but it was too long. i got a 120 second limit error when i clicked post, friend. sorry. i chose 240 over 320 so i could fit more, but it wasn't in the cards.

who's going to be heading up the ck challenge this year and when does it start?

>tfw my mom makes this every so often
>tfw I have a weird texture thing with the fat but eat everything else

You can and should trim the fat. It takes over too much of the flavor. Render it and use it for biscuits or something.

Happy New Year, you specific people who are looking at this.

here. That's what I thought before I started working with it, but it actually brings out the better qualities of the meat. I think the only item it overpowers is our chicken wings.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
I think the one time I had masquite was put in the charcoal for some burgers, worst burgers ever. thanks for the reply
I thought let you post bigger webm's. that's why I asked where you where posting it. but I saw what needed seen in the thrity second one. thanks again

Depends on how you're cooking it.
I just finished dry rubbing a pork shoulder to put on the smoker Tuesday morning. I'll let the dry rub do it's thing for the next 24 hours, then put it on the smoker with apple and hickory wood for about 13 hours, give or take. Pull it, add a little vinegar sauce, and eat up.

Too much mesquite can leave a bitter flavor. It has to be mixed with other woods.

>vinegar sauce
I spent a half year in NC and that "bbq sauce" was the worst part of it. give me some open pit

Oh please, don't be such a snob. People make their sauces differently. Very few taste exactly alike. There's nothing wrong with straight pulled pork, it's delicious on it's own, but some people appreciate how the vinegar sauce compliments the fatty bits of pork.

why would you think I'm a snob because I don't like vinegar? some people hate bitter flavors. doesn't mean I'm a snob
BTW I ate the pulled pork sandwich and said that it was good

Motherfucker this stuff is ang sarap

i got it worked out and then i had to get on the phone with a buncha fuckin yankees and then a buncha hippies.
i had fun cooking with yall tonight.

>the cheapest meat out there
>ggetting that expensive
maybe if you live in california

Tfw no Veeky Forums Veeky Forums bf :(

Any recipes for this?

Do you use the bones for anything else?

why would u post this

OP here, my pork shoulder is officially in the oven. I seasoned it with Indian paprika, cumin, black pepper, grains of paradise, garlic powder, a tiny amount of long pepper 'cause it was left in my spice grinder, Mexican oregano, marjoram, and cayenne, with a mix of good olive oil and orange-infused olive oil and apple cider vinegar. It's gonna be some good shit, will probably sprinkle on some mace after it's done because it's great with pork. Will report results if thread doesn't die by the time the roast is done.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schäufele

One of the best German dishes.

>maybe if you live in California
Don't be ridiculous, I live in NorCal, and I just bought a pork shoulder to smoke this week for $1.19 a pound.

>love the pork steaks
>but why the pistachio pudding?

there's a few in poland, they're only lightly used.

I cannot wait to see it. I'll have a taco with crema, cilantro, and onion and a little salsa Verde till then. While I'm waiting.

Yum, you have the right idea. I'm gonna serve it with cilantro, crema, and tortillas as well.

This sounds like some GOOD shit, will have to try it out sometime.

Got a 2-3 more hours to go, need to get the skin crispy within that timeframe, though. It's a big ass roast, so I guess I'll have to cook it for longer than I usually do.

Throw it in the pressure cooker and make pulled pork.

UNDERRATED

What's your recipe?