Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/24983620-the-vimana-incident
amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY02OXB/
amazon.com/Transmission-Lost-Stefan-Mazzara-ebook/dp/B015EUV4QY/
youtu.be/VDPxs90oRjk
thebookseller.com/news/brian-aldiss-dies-aged-92-614886
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for the eternal GOAT, /sffg/ is a Wolfeman thread now and forever

What do I read after Dune? I loved it and I kind of want more.

Hyperion and Foundation

I didn't find foundation very similar to dune tbf (to be frank)

Only other thing I could think of that comes even close. The golden path and psychohistory is kind of similair.

not really huge a Veeky Forums guy, here, but ive been reading old mans war at the behest of a friend and now finished metal boxes book 4.
can you guys recommend me similar books? i liked the serious tones of old mans war but also the more humorous style of metal boxes so either way is fine. bonus points for books that have audiobooks as i can absorb those while i work.

wrong thread. go here:

So, I just finished the Prince of Nothing trilogy, the first trilogy anyway. A thought occurs: why the hell don't sorcerers wear heavy armor when they go to war? The only way mundane soldiers pose a threat to them is through Chorae arrows, but the arrows have to make contact with skin to work. And their spellcasting is entirely verbal, there's no somatic components to be fucked up nor is there any "large amounts of metal interfere with mana" rule at play in this universe. Logic dictates that sorcerers should go to war armored like fucking turtles, the only reason they'd have not to is if they're too lazy to train to bear the weight.

>never read ringworld
>have had heard of the concept of course
>Imagine it'll be a great sci-fi story with lots of high tech shit
>read it
>it's not at all what I expected
>all the sci-fi shit with aliens and teleporters and levitating beds is on earth
>The Ringworld itself turns out to be more of an expedition trough uncharted savage territory
I don't hate it, but it was not at all what I expected. What to read next?

Rama, Blindsight and Gateway are also part of the "big shit in space" genre

To be honest I think I'm mostly a fan of the "living on stations/ships" stuff.
The best part of The Expanse series for me was the very beginning where we learned about the Belter physicality and mentalities, how they live, racism from and against them and little things like the fact that the fun absolutely ends when you fuck with their water/air supply and if they catch you doing it they'll lynch you by throwing you out of an airlock.
It's pretty fucking great.

What's the worst case of Mary Sue/Gary Stu you've read in SFF?

>the only reason they'd have not to is if they're too lazy to train to bear the weight.
You didn't read the series did you? Akka was a fat literal faggot. He was too good to wear armor or train with the soliders. Schoolmen were like those elites back in the day with top hats calling other people working class scum.

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress has that in spades.

Daenerys in ASOIAF.

They have to gesture and stuff
The swayali wore heavy gowns and used thick scarves as shields for that purpose

John Carter in ERB's Barsoom series, singlehandedly winning against masses of taller multi-limbed aliens, winning the instant respect of hostile tribes, and finding a way out of a tight spot. Burroughs is good at describing aliens and exotic scenery though.

>read fantasy book
>dozens of characters are introduced only by their names and gender
>no characteristics or looks described
>imagine someone as a bald average dude
>hundreds of pages later a there's a throwaway line about his onyx black skin and long flowing blonde hair

This shit infuriates me to no end. Why do writers do this?

Travis S. Taylor's Warp Speed. Basically a Gary Stu fanfic about the author and his astronaut girlfriend, you can find more detail in various reviews but it's easily summed up by saying that the author's goodreads page has quotes by himself on it and they include "I love my haters." It's one of the books that made teenage-me realize that no, anything Baen publishes isn't worth reading.

They're bad writers.

Feeling pretty unsatisfied after Urth of the New Sun

It's well written and from a technicaly standpoint it's impressive I admit, but I haven't really felt it's an especially engaging or focused story. Does long sun or whatever follows get more interesting, or just more of Sev meandering about and occasionally getting spooked

Long Sun has nothing to do with it

I see
ok well I guess that's me done with Wolfe

how do i become so Veeky Forums that my mere presence sets librarians panties on fire?

I think the idea is that casting sorceries - especially the Gnosis - is incredibly exhausting, so loose fitting cloth is a bit more manageable than heavy armor. I believe in later books there are some examples where sorcerers of rank go armored, though.

don't bother, they're shit birds, even if they're in good shape
literary women have no passion or fire, they go through life ticking boxes

other than Gateway, what's some scifi with decent romancing

im pretty sure everyone can be trained

any vlad taltos fans here? was recommended to me by a friend and it certainly looks promising

Somebody was asking about scifi with furries in it last thread?
goodreads.com/book/show/24983620-the-vimana-incident
amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY02OXB/
amazon.com/Transmission-Lost-Stefan-Mazzara-ebook/dp/B015EUV4QY/

Every single character from The Icemark Chronicles.
Without a doubt the biggest piece of shit i've ever suffered through.

How far along are you guys?

>user the drowned and dripping corpses went away; and Fulbra was stripped by the Torturers and was laid supine on the palace floor, with iron rings that bound him closely to the flags at knee and wrist, at elbow and ankle. Then they brought in the disinterred body of a woman, nearly eaten, in which a myriad maggots swarmed on the uncovered bones and tatters of dark corruption; and this body they placed on the right hand of Fulbra. And also they fetched the carrion of a black goat that was newly touched with beginning decay; and they laid it down beside him on the left hand. Then, across Fulbra, from right to left, the hungry maggots crawled in a long and undulant wave...

>forcing yourself to read
I've read approximately 20-25 books this year.

>forcing yourself to read
Has nothing to do with that. I read what I will. It's just fascinating to see how many books you read in a year. (bragging) I don't have a social life, nor a semen demon to steal my mana. So I read when I have free time (or when I'm not playing league)

Would maggots attack healthy flesh? Can you have maggots attack a healthy person this way?

I wish I had more time to read tbhtq. I should probably spend less time shitposting.

Nah, you can even use maggots to clean out a wound. They'll eat the dead tissue and leave you alone.

Poor old King Fulbra had already had a bit of a going over at this point. This is an excerpt from The Isle Of Torturers, one of CAS's Zothique stories.

Some needs to answer this, I'm interested as well.

What's the consensus on Bakker's latest book?
What was the point of Mimara?
Does anyone have the short story mentioned a couple of threads back ? (knife of many hands) ?

Consensus seems to be that TGO and TUC should've stayed one book.

That was really good, I think he hit the nail on the head about why Tolkien is so different, why his work feel so authentic.

Yeah, I wish there were more of his talks on the web but I have a hard time finding them.

You can find similar things over at online university shit like mythgard though.

is this good?

No, it's shit.

I am so stoked next semester i get to teach a world lit for science majors from antiquity to the present ... gonna end eith brighter than a thousand suns about the creation of the atomic bomb and fifth head of cerberus. From herodotus and the iliad to wolfe ... ohhhhh yeahhh. Oppenheimer's granddaughter is coming to talk to my class

*with

What makes an alien hot?

What books are unashamed in their use of hot alienettes.

Are there any books as comfy as the first two Harry Potter?

it's subjective to the other party's tastes.

appealing skin colors are key
but what's also important is a flair of the exotic mixed with the familiar.

>Asoka and the Twi'Lek having the appendages on their heads while still maintaining a human face and sexy body
>Tali from Mass effect having different shapes to her hands and feet in addition to the mystery being forced to live in a bio-suite, but still rocking a nice set of hips and a charmingly human personality

>And their spellcasting is entirely verbal, there's no somatic components to be fucked up
There are actually though the prose doesn't call much attention to them. They prefer huge bits of cloth armor in the later books.

>the only reason they'd have not to is if they're too lazy to train to bear the weight.
Also this.

Sunset found her squatting in the grass etc etc

kings dark tidings or spellsinger
former being more serious latter has instances of lelsorandumXD but its not intolerable

>I believe in later books there are some examples where sorcerers of rank go armored, though.
Pretty much all Nonmen magi wear armor.

Any scifi/fantasy with romance between a human and obviously nonhuman thing? I mean more than just pointy ears or a weird skin color. Bonus if it's a major plot point with lots of drama and GRI.

>What's the consensus on Bakker's latest book?
Bretty good but this >What was the point of Mimara?
We don't know yet. We'll find out in the next series. She's a pretty cool character in and of herself though. 9/10 would waifu.

Tali is all about the accent and you know it.

How is this.

Fairly basic, but still an okay read.

I did it /sffg/, nearly a year after starting, despite trails and pain, I finally finished the first act of my book

The final scene is a cross between Polnareff vs Vanilla Ice and [S] Jade: Enter

most people here don't even read.
you expect them to use goodreads?

What did you guys think of the new GoT episode?

Good but it seems like it's the season finale when they still have one more episode

Perdido Street Station, the human main character is plowing an insectoid babe.

What makes them furry?
It is people who dress up like animals or anthropomorphized animals?

Cuz if it is the latter there are endless examples in mainstream sci-fi.

>Titanides come in two sexes, male and female. Both sexes have a rear vagina and uterus, and a large penis in the position where a horse's penis would be. Both sexes also possess humanoid breasts and can thus give birth to and suckle young.

>Male Titanides have a frontal penis analogous to a human penis, and female Titanides have a frontal vagina. While sexual intercourse using the horse organs is indulged in casually between individuals of all sexes, so-called frontal intercourse is reserved for intimate relationships. The product of frontal intercourse is always a small, spherical egg a few centimetres in diameter. These eggs are often kept as keepsakes or mementos of special occasions. They are sterile unless first treated with the Wizard's saliva.

>An egg which has been made fertile can be implanted in a rear vagina and "quickened" by rear intercourse. After that, the egg will develop into a young Titanide.

>All Titanides can have eggs implanted. The Titanide who receives the egg is called the "hindmother". The Titanide who quickens the egg is called the "hindfather". The Titanides whose original act of intercourse produced the egg are the "foremother" and "forefather".

>There is special case: a female Titanide may use semen from her ventral penis to produce an egg, transferring it by hand. If the egg is made fertile, she may then implant it in herself and quicken it with the same source of semen. The resulting offspring is a clone of the mother. Semen from the ventral penis can only produce an egg in the same individual who produces the semen. This is the so-called "Aeolian Solo" method of reproduction.

The season finale will be the ice dragon breaking the wall.

is there any scifi stuff that is similar to the scp foundation? ive been binge-reading the scp wiki and while i admit its very hit or miss from entry to entry some are fucking fantastic scenarios for books. maybe there are books about organizations like the scp foundation.

Why is it so hard to find books by Jack Chalker? He sold great in his time but I've never seen him in any store.

I just want fun adventures with transformation. Are there any substitutes?

The Dying Earth

Robin Hobb's Assassin triology

Just finished Cugels Saga, man I wish there was more.

What was your favorite part of his adventure? Your favorite parts?

youtu.be/VDPxs90oRjk

The ongoing cultural revolution that is based purely of racism against white people in America is pretty interesting to me. Now I'm not here to post about politics but I'm curious if there's any science fiction that takes place after the brown commie hordes has demolished America and killed all the white people. I'm really interested to see what they think their endgame would look like, hence I want to read a sci-fi book about that.

The Rhialto stories get some hate but I liked them.

I don't know if it's my favorite but the part early in Overworld where he just fucking abandons Coreme to become a swamp rape slave definitely made me realize what kind of ride I was in for. Apparently that's a common reaction because several of the entries in Songs of the Dying Earth basically amounted to "don't worry, she got away eventually *_* "

QUICK I NEED A FANTASY BOOK THAT IS ULTRA VIOLENT BUT NOT FUCKING GAY LIKE THE PRINCE OF THORNS!

Michael Shea wrote an authorized sequel to Eyes of the Overworld called A Quest for Simbilis. I thought it was pretty good, actually. But this was before Vance wrote The Skybreak Spatterlight (Cugel's Saga), so IIRC, they contradict each other somewhat.

I'm gonna assume this was directed at me.
I only just started reading the first book but I'm in love already, it has pretty much everything I look for in sci fi or fantasy.

The sea journey. I find the life and mind of a worminger to be fascinating and inspiring.

matthew woodring stover's caine books

Was thinking of reading got books after watching, is it worth it?

I finished reading the final empire by Brandon Sanderson and I need to know what to feel about it, help me out Veeky Forums

Books have better characterization but the Fat Fuck will never finish his series.

>I need to know what to feel about i
You should feel horrible, your post is the worst post I've ever seen in this thread.

post an excerpt or your lying

Mormon literature is pretty bland.

I've hit a rutt in an escape scene. Neither of my characters are ruthless killers and I can't imagine just detailing how the ran from one location to another is going to be fun to write or read. I've opted with dialogue and a secret escape route, but that doesn't feel so great either.

Making the protag take a bullet so I can time-skip feels like another option, but again that doesn't feel like it would be fun to read or write.

So my question is, really, how much action do you guys expect to have your hands on when you read a sci-fi novel?

Brian Aldiss dies aged 92 thebookseller.com/news/brian-aldiss-dies-aged-92-614886

>fun to read or write
was it fun to write that twice? it was fun to read it twice

>no badass action chase scene
What are you doing man? Escape scenes are some of the best moments in stories! Don't waste it!

How insectoid are we talking?

Prince of Nothing featuring Cnaiur urs Skiƶtha the most violent of all men. he's bi

You enjoyed yourself and nothing anyone else says will change that.
>being this new

>You enjoyed yourself and nothing anyone else says will change that.
I see you're new to Veeky Forums.

Marc?

Huh, I picked that up recently because the cover was so pretty. Sounds like I'm in for a treat :3

If Veeky Forums makes you feel bad about stuff you like then it isn't a healthy place for you to be.