ITT: Books women could NEVER understand

ITT: Books women could NEVER understand

>Implying there aren't sick, spiteful, unattractive women
Literally any middle-aged cat lady could be the Underground Man

You haven't read the book have you?

No woman would be capable of coming to the (correct) conclusions that the Underground Man came to. Especially not some used up old granny

Is it a good entry way to Dostoevsky? I'm 19 and haven't read that much so I'm having troubles with getting through Devils.

Seems to be most people's way in, yeah. Or if you want one even shorter, try The Grand Inquisitor.

Start with Crime and Punishment my dude then Notes

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

>the (correct) conclusions that the Underground Man came to
>correct
>thinking Dostoyevsky wanted people to relate to the Underground Man

lel, look at this pleb.

why do you plebs insist on interpreting dostoevsky even though he never produced anything worthy of note?

Pretty sure Dostoevsky intended for the Underground Man to be a sort of stepping stone or warning to a more fulfilled self or meaningful existence. It's sort of like how Kierkegaard will write opinions that don't necessarily match his own in order to provoke his reader into having their own experience.

Notes From The Underground is a character study of a neurotic before neurotics were considered a thing.

Women understand male narcissism very well.

>implying I'm proud of it

In a utopian society what was thought to be a satirical characters can be realized. If anything the fact that people do relate to the undergorund man redounds to Dostoevsky's brilliant foresight. Nevertheless the character clearly represents a faiilure of manhood

Yeah, this is always the one I think of when this thread comes up. It's just impossible for them to get it. Hell, even most men these days completely misunderstand it.

>Not knowing women understand this book better than any man

I want to start with him too, but I haven't read the bible. Is it any point in reading Dosto without having read the bible?

You've fallen for the memes again. Just read Crime & Punishment and decide for yourself whether it was worth reading

Women can relate to the prostitute, though. Like every woman has had to deal with a fucking loser like that.

>x pages of platitudinous whining thinly veiled as fiction
what's there to understand

This is true.

more like gaybokov

>Pevear

Nope. Every middle-aged cat lady was once a young lady and young ladies are always desired by someone. By virtue of that, they never knew the true and complete isolation of Underground Man.

t b h

I'm sure it was hard for Nabokov to criticize the long dead Dostoevsky. We all know if Dostoevsky was alive, Nabokov
A) would never have criticized him so openly
B) would look like a child conversing with Dostoevsky

It's also worth noting Nabokov, as a proto /r/atheism thinker, disliked Dostoevsky solely because of his religious themes.

read notes and then crime and punishment
don't listen to this fucking idiot holy shit, why would you read the longer book instead of one of his shorter works to see if you even like his writing style? not to mention that the underground man is pretty much the seed for the main character in c&p. go eat shit faggot.

I think CaP is quite easy.
The Grand Inquisitor is a chapter of Brothers Karamazov. And it's the most difficult chapter of that book. It's amazing though I must say.
CaP is not connected with the Bible as I remember. Karamazov is on the other hand very much. I had to read whole parts of the Bible because of references.
Why is Veeky Forums full of misogynists and anti-misogynist.

>a guy acts like he is deeply in love with a woman but then becomes utterly repulsed by her after he busts a nut

Yeah, a woman could never understand this

this

This post annoys me.

How much of a grasp on the Bible would you say is required to fully appreciate the brothers k?

>tfw just came from /tv/ because I saw a "movies women will never understand thread"
>tfw came to Veeky Forums with the intention of posting a "lit that women will never understand thread"
>tfw I see this thread on the first page
>tfw I was intending to use the Bros K by Dostoevsky as a book women will never understand
>tfw on The Grand Inquisitor chapter right now and it just fucked my shit up after reading the previous chapters easily.

In any case, good job lads. Women will never understand this ass either.

Of course they would. Women are naturally narcissistic.

bump

>it's a pathetic incel thread

Sad.

Idk about you anglos, but my edition (Italian) has a footnote for every biblical reference.

Hmm mine doesn't.

Just read his works chronologically. If you aren't trying to read everything, I would recommend at the minimum Poor Folk > Notes From Underground (a philosophical prologue to C&P) > Crime and Punishment > The Idiot > Demons > The Karamozov Brothers. Don't even think about skipping any of the last four because they compose a giant Shakespearian tragedy and, obviously, build off one another considerably. Add The Double and House of the Dead in chronologically if you are feeling up to it, the latter being more important contextually. Find translations by McDuff, Meyers, Avsey, Coulson, Meyer, and Wilks. Most of all avoid Garnett and P&V.

Can you tell me what it is about then?

I haven't read the Bible, but I think you should read the Bible once casually to get a global picture about Christianity, and then when you are reading BK you should check wiki for example to remind yourself of specific references.
I remember there was a reference to the "Temptation of Christ", and I spent some hour reading about it on wiki.
It's doable without having read the Bible, but you'll miss out many references and allusions which you don't even know that are connected to the Bible.

>tfw I was intending to use the Bros K by Dostoevsky as a book women will never understand
I don't think we talk about that kind of understanding. Grand Inquisitor is complicated, and it requires previous knowledge and IQ and everything. Notes on the other hand might not be that difficult, but you need to have "felt things on your own skin" (idk what's the English phrase for this exactly) previously so you can essentially understand the mindset of the character. Women can never be men (and men can never be women), so it's hard for them to understand Notes.
I know some girls that have read BK, but Notes not.

Care to elaborate the issue with Garnett and P&G?

Women could never understand The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien

I agree 100%

Thanks for the response m80

Fuck off roastie.

What woman wouldn't like to piss on the decapitated head of an enemy then tread on it untill the skin comes off?

XDDD

It's just my opinion, but having read a good deal of the translators, some Garnett versions are originally insufficiently edited and read P&V side by side comparisons with competent translators to see the issue for yourself. It doesn't do the work justice.

Here's a summary+meaning

This.

Women are reading this thinking 'Why doesn't he just work harder and progress up the career ladder and a buy a Porsche. I don't even care about this character, how tall is he anyway?'

Bravo good sir.
You are truly doing gods work.

I'm sure they can understand cucking a man.

>do extensive research on which translation of Brothers K is superior
>majority report back that it's P&V
>order said translation and begin reading
>an user on Veeky Forums is suddenly saying to avoid P&V at all costs
Care to explain the issue? I've been told it is the superior translation that stays as close to the original Russian than all the others.

P&V for crime and punishment
McDuff for TBK

I'd say any book that deals with the combination of concepts such as 'honour' and 'sacrifice' in combination with combat/conflict.

Examples would be the Iliad (and maybe the Odyssey), hagakure, etc.

>(correct)
getting brainwashed by a fictional psychopath autismo who didnt even try

OP: Women can't understand this
reply: [contrary example]
OP: No, the women I've made up in my mind can't understand this

first day back on Veeky Forums and I already hate myself again

Are you saying women don't understand vague, socially constructed value systems?

Substitute "nuturing" and "caregiver" for "honor" and "sacrifice". Can men not get anything out of books associated with traditional feminine values? I hear way too much praise for Austen and Morrison on this board for that to be true.

Where is the "nurture" and "caregiving" in Austen?

Toni Morrison? Literally never mentioned here. Austen only mentioned to point out how shit women are

C&P...he's 19, his brain isn't even fully formed yet. He will be physiologically unable to follow several characters.

Poor Folk is formulaic and involuntarily funny.

my diary desu

G R E E K S

>vague
i thought you said you can understand it

>vague, socially constructed value systems?

I don't understand why you people are so fanatically devoted to "equality" and "diversity" but think that honour and sacrifice are mere "social constructs".

Why should I respect your value system any more than you respect mine?

>muh "social construct = bad"

>women literally writes about about a subject and group of people she later admits to never understanding

>what is the idiot

Nice, that's a sentiment I've had but haven't been able to express.

None of you have talked to a woman clearly

Even Chad knows women are dumbdumbs, you turbovirgin

This is wrongheaded as fuck, I know multiple beautiful, intelligent women who were unnerved and moved by this book. Cut your dick off.

This HAS to be satire. If not... wow

do you seriously think that women can't be lonely and angsty?

You have to be a fucking idiot to be this hard in denial. How many women do you fucking talk to?

if women are foreveralone it's just because they are too snobby and are waiting for prince charming to come a long, if they want to get laid or even a husband they basically just have to go outside, some guy will be hitting on them within 10 minutes, if that doesn't work they can go on any online dating site and get a million hits

I'm sorry mate but you are talking utter shite. I've met few women who have read any dosto and they had only read C&P.

Where are the multiple beautiful and intelligent women who have read the underground man because I certainly haven't met any?

Source: English Major

The Things They Carried.

do you think Big Mohammed the crack addict fawning over you counts as an ''option''?

You think mudslime women read Notes? Are you retarded?

I don't understand why a woman wouldn't understand Notes from Underground. The Underground Man's impotence isn't gender-specific, although his isolation is; even neurotic, manic women are attractive to (unhealthy) men.
Consider, however, that the Underground Man exhibits borderline tendencies. (Dostoevsky himself is presumed to have suffered from BPD.) The Underground Man's impotence, pettiness, narcissism, and delusions are all characteristics you can commonly witness in females with personality disorders. Even his interactions with Liza remain essentially the same with the genders inverted, although the dynamic changes from one of explicit "domination" to implicit "control" more appropriate to gender norms.

I suppose my point is that it isn't their gender itself that precludes women identifying with the Underground Man, but the external contextualization of gender. So while neuroticism or mania occur in women similarly, the way they're interpreted by society differs. Although, you could argue that that difference recontextualizes the internal experience. Anyway, Notes from Underground isn't merely about the personal, internal experience of this mania.

Yes, but not not as trapped into existential angst/autism as men.

BTW tryhards are welcome to post litterature that proves OP wrong instead of making pissy fits (which ironically proves him right).

i bet if i tried to talk to you it would go well right up until as soon as you determine i didn't go to a top ten school or have a phd you'll start mentioning your "boyfriend" fuck off, i'm sure prince charming with the harvard phd will come along someday

the time that really pissed me the fuck off was when the chick started talking about her boyfriend AFTER we fucked, it's like What The Fuck is your god damn problem

I think the bitterness would put me off first

well we can't all live charmed one percent lives ok ho, maybe try your luck at some night club that won't let people in if they're not wearing gucci, no resentful proletarians in there except maybe the mexican guy wiping down the tables

You are derailing of the thread with your "womyn are so oppressed" act. We are trying to have a discussion so kindly leave us to it

i fapped to a hetero fantasy for the first time in probably months, ugh, what was i thinking

this whole thread is ''men are so oppressed'

no one said men are oppressed, just that womyn can never understand the male experience, kys

Are women like you really that oblivious to the fact that you are proving OP's point by answering like that?

It's not oppression. But obviously cunts like you don't understand that, which is the whole point of the thread.

ITT:

A bunch of teenage boys who don't know anything about women (because they are weirdos who can't look people in the eye), making massive generalizations.

tell it to your cats, no one cares