/BEER GENERAL/

Happy new beer edition

Best beers you drank in 2017?

What trends will we see in 2018?

What beers did you drink over the holidays?

Are you a bad enough dude to fill your glass as full as pic related?

Prev thread: Discord: discord.gg/rqsxQdW

Drinking one of these tonight. Best beer I've had from fairstate. Their Roselle is good too.
I'm going up to Duluth for a few days though and was wondering if there are any breweries besides bent paddle and castle danger worth going to. Any of the mnfags? I heard fitgers is supposed to be pretty solid and thirsty pagan across the bridge is always a stop for me as well

>What trends will we see in 2018?
I doubt we'll see many trend changes. Maybe more experimental yeasts used for beer or barrel finished beer but other than that it'll probably be
>focus on stout for winter
>focus on pilsners for spring
>focus on IPA for summer
>focus on pumpkin ales for fall
And so on

Best beer I had in 2017

>What trends will we see in 2018?
even more NEIPA everywhere

good choice my dude

Thoughts on pic related?
First scotch ale I ever had, really enjoyed it.

That pack of guinnes is for giving something to drink to your normie friends when they come to your home, right?

Ain't my picture

>Best beers I had in 2017
Trillium DDH Fort Point
Summit Westie 7th
Indeed Rum King (though apparently 2016's was better--didn't get to try that one)

>Trends
Fuck if I know. Hopefully so many people figure out NEIPAs that they get a bit cheaper

>Over the holidays
Blacklist Or de Belgique, some Fair State Pils (but I mostly used it for cooking), Surly Barrel-Aged Pentagram (good but gave me some nasty heartburn), uncle's homebrewed stout

>Am I a bad enough dude
He didn't even try to get a head on that thing, how can he smell it

Blacklist has some solid Belgian stuff. They can a few of their beers (big fan of Dark and Spruce) but there are some taproom exclusives like a cranberry golden ale and an apple dubbel. Hoops is super high quality in general but always rotating their taps, so it's hard to pin down a recommendation for a specific beer. They had a cherry ale on tap over the holidays that was great, not sure if it's still pouring. Also, Bent Paddle has Double Shot Double Black on tap rn if you haven't tried it.

god damn I need to try some of the non-shitty CW stuff. I hate most of their year-rounds but never see the specialty stuff

Fucking this.

I know it's an unpopular opinion here, but I'd much prefer more quality West Coast/SoCal style.

>I hate most of their year-rounds but never see the specialty stuff
The year round stuff is pretty average, nothing remarkable about them (though HHG is a solid APA).
Their barrel aging program is excellent though, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any of their BA 4 packs if you see it. The Black Gold is just ridiculously good, though don't expect to find it at retail, I just lucked into a bar next door to me having it on tap one day

Best beers I had this year were probably a 5 taster flight of AleSmith's Speedway Stout.

As already said, NEIPA's are the new thing, and having just moved back west from New England, it's a shitty trend.

Currently drinking pic related. Port's "Santa's little helper" is an okay holiday brew, but I really like Port in general.

No. I don't fill my glass up all the way to the top; when I'm that drunk I overflow it and spill all over myself.

I had Fair State's pilsner this weekend and was less than impressed. I'm fairly sure it was just old, though. It was pretty hoppy, and it was a month old already, so it probably wasn't at the top of its game.

Thank god I had a bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout lurking in my cupboard.

I totally forgot about blacklist. That's the one I'll be hitting up. I'm only there for a day so I wanted to try a new spot. I loved their green tea and honey tripel? I thought it was a tripel, but I could be wrong. Haven't heard of Hoops.
I'm burnt out on stouts so that double shot will get passed up. I heard it's fantastic though

This seems the most likely trend for the coming year. Though I also expect more sours and the like.

Don't think I've had the APA actually. I'll give it a shot. And trust me, I keep my eyes peeled for the BA stuff.

Don't believe I've had the green tea one. I think my favorite thing I've had from them was the rhubarb witbier. Hoops was founded by the former head brewer at Fitger's, I'd definitely recommend at least stopping by there to pick up a couple of crowlers.

Wrong. Midwestern lagers and pilsner surge. Hops are played out.

More balanced Midwest IPAs are the best, but New England Style is way the fuck better than West Coast

>It's January 1st, 2018
>Summit's Keller Pils isn't on shelves as a year-round yet
Do we riot, boys?

I've been buying wonderstuff from Bauhaus for now. Their schwarzbier is good too

Wonderstuff isn't all that IMO but their schwarzbier is fantastic. Also a big fan of their California Common in the summer. Until Keller releases I've been scratching my (admittedly rare) pilsner itch with B-Side from Indeed

B-side is the one indeed year round I really like. Their wooden soul releases are top fucking notch though.
But yeah that Keller pils is seriously good shit. I was stoked to hear it's becoming year round now. EPA will always be my go to fishing beer tho

Yeah I think NEIPA is going to be 2018's most popular ipa. 2017 seemed to be the variants of ipas, i.e. red, black.

Personally hoping for more sours to hit the scene in Australia. along with old styles, pilsners, and lagers.

picked this up on a whim because it was the only porter the store had in stock and I was pleasantly surprised, was not expecting anything decent out of it.

best beer i drank in 2017 was Lagunitas' Born Yesterday , it was everything I wanted their regular mediocre IPA to taste like.

Just finished one of these cringy meme beers.

Honestly, not a bad stout. Just the right level of bitter imo.

what the fuck is a cuvée?

Had pic related on Christmas Day. Wasn't bad but the wine overpowered the beer desu.

>the trips of truth
Also Clown Shoes makes pretty good beers.

Wasn't able to find Old Memeputin at my liqueur steur so I copped a 750 of this because of the cool bottle.
REALLY good, deep flavors and it actually manages to make the alcoholic notes pleasant. The aftertaste is almost metallic, instead of caustic like you'd get from a shitty high-alcohol beer.
Are their other ones this good? They had a Christmas version but I didn't get it.

I hope to god you're right

>what the fuck is a cuvée?
it's when you blend an older vintage with a newer to achieve a certain flavor, though usually reserved for just lambics

Do you think it's better than duvel?

I like Nocturnum a bit more but Tremens is also quite good

Duvel is a nice solid beer but it's also quite basic

I can't remember. There's the Tremens, the Nocturnum, and the Noel. The Noel is the best though, especially on draft. I'm afraid, user, that you dun'd goofed.

Oi, that's some good shit right there nigger. I've had that and the Tremens.

That bad enough dude won't be able to take advantage of his glass's shape but that's his problem and not mine.

Dunno but I spent my night in your mom's cuvée at New year's Eve

cellaring beers is a fucking meme, it encourages retards to buy the same thing twice but one is gonna taste worse after a year

and the reward for 2018's dumbest post goes to this early fellow

So much memeness. I just drink heineken. Best beer there is.

got this the other day, they were good and i like the glass

Good choice. One of the best belgians available out there.

Nice; the dragon egg goblet is my go-to glass. The Calvados aged is also worth picking up if you see it on tap, but I wouldn't bother shilling out for the bomber. Same with the '9000' quad.

>Speedway Stout
Did you try the Vietnamese coffee aged? Definitely on my bucket list.

Howdy, fellow MNfag. I'm the guy working in a bottle shop by Stillwater (posted some Lupulin the other week). Giantsbane is indeed good shit, though if you can find it, grab a 4pk of their Raspberry Roselle. Also, fwiw, I've never been to Fitgers, but most reports I've heard are mediocre at best.

Favorite glassware, anyone? I love the Duvel tulips, and pic related is my favorite of their designer series. They seem to be thicker/heavier than stock Duvel glasses.

Do you guys have any experience with mead?

I saw some at the store the other day and it caught my eye. I was thinking about picking some up eventually. What are your opinions on it?

Dansk Mjod - Viking Blod
Hidden Legend - The King's Mead

Also, Redstone Meadery puts out some good stuff.

yeah definitely, i feel it will take over west coast style IPAs as the standard

i have very limited experience with it
it's alright. worth trying

Jerseyfag?

What does it taste like?

honey/white wine

Yeah, that was probably my favorite.

>tfw no goose island bourbon county stout gf

except most stronger beers taste better after a year.
This as someone who has been saving a handful of good strong beers for the last few years and trying sequential years back to back as the opportunity arises

meadfags, how do I brew this shit? I agreed to make a batch with my friend but don't know the first thing about the process, I'm only familiar with beer. any tips?

I wonder why sours are so popular, I tried one and didn't like it. Do they all taste nasty and vinous?

What are some sessionable IPAs? Two Hearted and 60 Minute are the only ones I've had so far that I can drink a few of without the cloying factor being present.

I'm not referring to alcohol, but the sticky feeling in my mouth that I get from drinking more than 1 IPA in a row. Like when you eat too much milk chocolate and don't wash it down with anything.

if that's your general reaction then just skip IPAs, it's not a huge loss and there are plenty of other styles. I rarely drink IPAs these days because I find the flavor balance usually very lacking. even most pale ales or DIPAs have more going on in the flavor department than most IPAs because breweries are poorly copying the west coast style and seem to think people want 2 dimensional bitterness

Well I like most of the ones I try I like, but usually don't want more than 1 or 2 in a row

The maltier ones like Two Hearted I like a lot though, they seem to be less cloying.

I have the duvel glass too, but I never saw that limited edition, where did you find it?

Pic related is my duvel glass

Maybe try Amber ales? Always malty, plus the American ambers usually also always include quite a bit of hop presence if that's what you're looking for.

The best ones are Belgian. Try to find any Geuze. Also try Flanders Red Ale.

>mfw Trillium is literally 5 minutes from my house

I spend way too much money there

Maaaaannn

I visit my gf's family in Boston a couple times a year and I finally got my shit together to stop by Trillium this summer. Had some Night Shift too, y'all have a great selection out there

Here's a few of the beers I really appreciated this past year:

Hofbrau Dunkel
St. Bernardus Tripel
Lindeman's Cuvee Rene
Saison Dupont
Goose Island Sofie
Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Anyone else care for these, or have any suggestions based on them?

Good shit. I like these recommendations as well as a lot of the less... experimental meads a semi-local meadery makes.

It's Superstition meadery if you happen to be an Arizona fag.

What's your go to beer? MIne is founders all day ipa, really good shit

It's just another trend; beerfags (which I kind of am) love the latest thing. Definitely an acquired taste, and very different, but can be really good. Not exactly a lawnmower type of beer.

Triple IPA's are my personal favorite, and tend to be the most balanced style when done right.

Always thought this one was kinda gimmicky but it really is fucking tasty

I had a sour stout a while ago and it was excellent, maybe just the one you had wasn't that good?

Castle Danger Cream Ale and Pseudo Sue are the two I fall back on if I can't decide on something else

I can't even imagine what a sour stout would taste like. I've had dark sours but they aren't roasty or anything, just dark and fruity.

A proper APA is incredibly well balanced in my mind, but I agree that double and imperial IPAs are at their best when balanced.

Pour two cans of that in a dutch oven with a bunch of garlic and chopped onions and some seasonings (I just used salt/pepper/old bay), bring it to a boil, put some raw shrimp in, take it off the heat, let 'em cook for 6 minutes. Chill the shrimp and serve. Best fucking shrimp I've ever had

Was given one of these for Christmas, does it really make a difference? I've used it a couple times and I can't help but feel like something's different, but that could just be me trying to justify using it.

Nice pick. Altough I prefer duvel or delirium over la chouffe

Belgian beers power rankings when?

I can't get over that coriander seed taste

Science magic bullshit makes it taste like its out of a tap.

Am I doing beer wrong? I just really don't like it. My city recently fell for the microbrewery meme, and there are two "decent" ones within walking distance of me (liquid mechanics and Odd13, if there is anyone local), and I have been there a few times, and I am just not a fan of beer. I understand the whole acquired taste thing, I am a huge coffee drinker, but I just can't seem to get into beer. Is there any reccomended activity to aclimate correctly?

Stone IPA because it's around $1/can at costco.

Which is your favourite beer reviewer? MIne is real ale, always explanatory and goes really in dehpt.

Naw, beer doesn't taste good. Anyone who tells you differently is either lying to your or themselves. People drink it for the alcohol, not because it tastes good. However, some beer tastes better than others.

What styles have you tried? If you're a coffee drinker, find some stouts or porters or schwarzbiers, lots of them have mild to strong coffee notes. From there, you might be able to branch out to simple malt-heavy styles--brown ale, dubbels, and amber ales. Amber ales might lead you try more balanced stuff like pale ales or bitters, while dubbels might send you towards tripels or Belgian pale ales.

Stay away from IPAs and saisons and sours--they can all be kind of abrasive if you haven't developed any sort of taste for beer

I like Massive Beer Reviews for his opinions and personality, but his voice is kinda grating

>People drink it for the alcohol
If this where true why are they drinking beer and not something like vodka/gin and tonic, rum and coke, etc.? Most beer really doesn't have a lot of alcohol in it, and unless you are a total lightweight, you are going to get bloated a lot faster than you are going to get buzzed.
Thanks for the suggestions, normally I just drink whatever the bartender suggests or whatever has a neat sounding name on the board. Pretty pleb tier. I have written down your suggestions and I will take a trip down there tonight.

Those two breweries you mentioned have really great reviews so your tastebuds are probably defective. Either keep trying different styles until you find something you like or try again in a few years.

yeah, that's why I had to ask the question. It is hard to believe that basically everyone in my city could be wrong, but I just wasn't feeling it. I think it might also be better to try it with food, so I think I am going to try to order in a pizza or something while I am there (they don't serve food), as well as trying some of 's suggestions.

Fuck off, if it's not true why aren't people drinking non-alcoholic beer all the time.

Keep lying to yourself. Beer tastes bad and nobody would drink it if there wasn't alcohol in it.

Drinking up this

was it Tart of Darkness by The Bruery?
it was really good but after half a cup it gave me heartburn

>go to beer thread
>beer tastes bad!!!
0/10 apply yourself

>tfw live 15 minutes from one of the most acclaimed breweries in New England
>only one of my friends who knows it's overpriced and overrated hipster shit

Non alcoholic beer typically is bad tasting but it's false equivalency to think that means beer generally tastes bad. Name one artisisnal non alcoholic beer, they don't exist but Odouls is fucking Budweiser tier garbage not the type of thing you drink for the taste. Like comparing a cask aged 40 year old wine to fucking communion wine and claiming they are exactly the same shit.

Is the one where the owner thinks he is fucking Willy Wonka of beer in the flesh or some shit?

I wanna try it, but we have some decent beers here in the pnw.

Not sure. I've never actually seen him at the brewery. Wouldn't surprise me, they've been hyped up by a lot of beer mags.

You're probably better off since you'd be ordering it online desu, to get it in person means driving to the middle of bumfuck nowhere at the ass crack of dawn on a Saturday, getting in line with a thousand soyboys for 4-5 hours and even then having no guarantee they won't be sold out.

real ale craft beer guy? yeah he's my go to, reviewed loads of different beers too

I like Ronald Theriot, Dr. Dave, and Real Ale

Greg is too much of a typical craft beer snob