I just moved into my first house. I'm not a "doomsday prepper" or anything...

I just moved into my first house. I'm not a "doomsday prepper" or anything, but I would like to prepare 30-60 days worth of food to keep in the basement in the event of an emergency or natural disaster.

What would Veeky Forums recommend? In order, my requirements are: (i) fairly inexpensive, since I'll probably never actually eat it, (ii) long shelf life, (iii) high-calorie, and (iv) light and portable. My requirements do NOT require it to be tasty or pleasant whatsoever. Again, I'll likely never eat it.

I was thinking about hard tack (aka sailer's biscuits). They're easy to make and can remain edible for 1-5 years. I was also looking into pemmican, which is much more expensive but also nutritious (offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/how-to-make-pemmican-a-survival-superfood-that-can-last-50-years/).

I'm also open to buying it online rather than making it, but the markup on MRE's and stuff is crazy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2fE5KzvOZRk
providentliving.com/preparedness/food-storage/foodcalc/
theepicenter.com/food-storage/mountain-house.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also, is there way to make hard tack more nutritious if I go that route? Anyone have experience blending in powdered blueberries or anything?

A sack of potatoes

Sardines and other canned fish are good for years, don't require cooking, and are inexpensive. Canned legumes are good too.

Big bag of rice, big bag of beans, big bag of flour. A set of spices reserved and set away, will go miles to help enduring more or less the same food day to day. Get some canned chicken or vegetable stock, but eventually learn to make and can it yourself i guess. Root vegetables can keep a long time but will eventually need to be used and switched out. Get a .22lr rifle (available and cheap even in noguns countries.) and develop a taste for rabbit and squirrel.

infowars has awesome sales on food supplies for like a thousand dollars or make the food yourself and get a vaccum sealer bag thingy they sell those also

spices and herbs depend on Volatile Organic Compounds. old spices oxidize and lose their flavors and aromatics.

You can buy bulk dehydrated/freeze dried ingredients for less than MREs or backpacker meals online.
Most of it comes from Utah because strict Mormons are required to always keep three years of food in storage.

google 'thrive freeze dried food'
not a prepper either
just got tired of throwing away unused food every week only to buy the same items and throw them away the following week

>fairly inexpensive, since I'll probably never actually eat it
why would you waste food?

Look at this person

Pemmican

I want AJ to go back to /pol/

don't give your money to infowars

Just buy army rations

That's gonna be over priced for what he's wanting to do.

The hard tack reminds me of this. You could make dry, portable soup.
youtube.com/watch?v=2fE5KzvOZRk

OP here.

Don't potatoes go bad pretty quickly? They start fruiting within a couple months in my pantry. Is it different if kept airtight with a desiccant?

Good idea about the canned fish. FYI, canned fish has an expiration date of 3 years after packing, but you can probably get more mileage than that in an emergency. It's pricey for the calories, but it could be a good source of protein. Really, more of a supplement for carbs via hard tack / flour / whatever.

I've also realized that peanut butter keeps forever and is cheap. Again, like canned fish, that's a good source of protein to supplement carbs via hard tack.

Thanks, bro. I own multiple pistols and rifles and thousands of rounds of ammo, and I'm a damn good shot. I also have several respirator masks. (None of this is for prepping, though. I just own that for hobby purposes.) I'm good on everything but food.

This is the shit I'm trying to avoid. Not because of InfoWars alone, but because it's pointlessly expensive.

I looked into that, but they all seemed pretty pricey for what you get, compared to making hard tack and stocking up on peanut butter and canned fish. Any recommendations?

I admit, pemmican has me intrigued. Any tips on getting bulk lean meat for cheap? I heard pemmican can last forever if kept with a desiccant.

these. hands down will not find better, cheaper, lighter, tiny, more nutritious tiny meals. 200 cal per bar.

It's also gonna make him shit literal bricks, if at all.

t. armycucc

Go to costco and buy like 30 cans of tuna, canned beans, canned pasta, some ramen noodles, crackers, sardines, canned vegetables. Maybe some jerky of some sort.. Multivitamins (you can find a big bottle with 60 pills easily enough). Get enough bottled water to last 2 months and some medical supplies/first aid is good to have too. Extra blankets and a portable stove can never hurt as it's nice to be able to boil water for tea or coffee and have a warm meal if your power is out.

OP here again.

Cool, I'll price it out. Again, I'm not looking to be luxorious or anything. I just want a few months of dirt cheap carbs and protein.

Now that I think about it, having a few bottles of multivitamin is probably a good idea if I go with hard tack, then supplement with peanut butter and fish.

If pre-prepared meals are cheaper, then great. But I doubt it. I'll see.

Correct. Spices don't last that long.

Also, soldiers and sailors survived for months on hard tack, with no spices. This is for surviving, not camping or for enjoyment.

I'm telling you man, datrex is the shit for emergency rations. lasts for like ten years too

Consider asking /out/ for suggestions as well

>FYI, canned fish has an expiration date of 3 years after packing, but you can probably get more mileage than that in an emergency. It

Two years from now, pull it all out of storage and replace it, and eat it in the year before it expires.

You might find this useful.

providentliving.com/preparedness/food-storage/foodcalc/

Besides that, you should go to the store and buy canned vegetables, fruit, and meat. However much is up to you. And don't forget water, that's more important than food in the short term.

Anyone that says MREs is a fucking moron. They cost too much, don't last that long and are basically gas-station food.

theepicenter.com/food-storage/mountain-house.html

Freeze dried food on the other hand is cheaper, lasts longer, tastes better and is much easier to store with the only draw back that it needs hot water to rehydrate.

addendum, I use mountain house all the time when I'm backpacking and camping. I never have issues securing, filtering and boiling the cup of water these meals need. I have about 3 dozens of the 10 serving cans in the my basement for disaster preparedness.

You shouldnt just store food in your basement. Itll eventually go to waste. You need to bulk buy things you use and gradually replace it as you use it. Always having that large buffer.
Thats what I do. My chest freezer is alway full and slowly cycle through my dry goods.

That one website Ben Shapiro shills for on his show all the time, literally a year of food for like 100 bucks or something. Forgot the name tho

Get stuff you'd normally eat and group them by expiration date. Make spreadsheet to keep track what's about to go bad, eat it and replenish.

Go to Walmart, pick up a couple buckets of Augason Farms rice, beans and oats. Put them in a closet and forget about it until you need it. They will last 30-50 years.

You should never go past expiry on meats, that's an easy way to get botulism.

What preppersbdo is get the amount of food and then cycle through it so it never goes bad.

scanning control SHIP EVERYTHING TO CHINA

More nutritious in what way? As a balanced all-in-one meal? Good question. Incorporating target nutrients that other emergency foods are likely to be deficient in? Use iodized salt and enrich with vitamin C. Just want it to be a caloric baseline? If you can can or vacuum-pack, Japanese recipes tend to include significant amounts of sugar, milk, and sometimes seeds, which don't hugely hurt storage life if not exposed to air.

just buy some guns. then you can take food from people. that's my plan.

Civvy MREs are cosplay accessories for the tacticool crowd. Military MREs are absurd decadence from a society so far removed from an existential war that Pvt. Frogposter literally sperging out and fragging the lieutenant's tent if he doesn't get his tendies is considered a major threat by our planners.

In almost any plausible scenario, you're dead without water or fire long before you're dead without food. Hot water on demand's only a big ask on the march, and you're not gonna be marching away from your cache or it's pointless to have a cache to begin with, so yeah freeze-dried proteins and veg along with sealed containers for oats or rice is the way to go.

Sometimes it's the most obvious things that people forget. Having toilet paper and a USB power bank for example, can make the difference between surviving and thriving during an adverse event.

Granola is one of my favourite foods to have around since it's calorie and nutrient dense, tasty and stores easily. I will typically bulk buy it whenever it's on offer and my usual consumption will ensure no bag gets anywhere close to expiration.

Unless you need a tactical supply to evacuate from a civil war or huge flooding, it's silly to place full emphasis on extreme shelf life and portability. Almost any scenario you can encounter in a first world country will last a week or less and make it a lot more sensible to store food you find comfort in and can cycle through naturally throughout the year.

Consider the following: You can survive much longer without food than without water. On a water fast with some vitamins, you can go into ketosis and actually last quite a while just fine.

On the other hand, if you eat just enough food to stay out of ketosis, like 900 calories a day of rationed bread or something, you will actually do *worse* because you'll lose muscle mass and have ravenous hunger.

You're better off stockpiling mainly water and water-purification devices, vitamins (particularly: a multivitamin/multimineral, B12, D3, iodized salt), and some medicines (topical and systemic antibiotics, painkillers like aspirin - especially if you have heart disease - and naproxen and tylenol, antifungals, anxiolytics, and supplies like medical-grade tape, tweezers, splints), and as for food, going with protein/fat-heavy stuff and some canned green vegetables.

Think: Vacuum-sealed tea (for something to taste and drink while fasting), and for food - dry TVP (very high protein by gram/calorie, light-weight, long-term shelf-stable in an airproof container, easy to cook), shelf-stable oils (camelina sativa oil and saturated fats like coconut oil would last longest, if kept in a cool, dark area), canned green vegetables, and then as a last resort, the time-tested big bag o' beans and rice. Maybe keep some canned 'comfort food' for when depression sets in or it is a holiday.

I'd say more 2-3 weeks in some areas. A once-a-decade or once-a-generation winter storm can put you in that range if you drive a normal sedan or rely on mass transit.

That said, I definitely agree with the versatility point. But dried beef and mushrooms, maybe some salt fish - mushrooms in particular, there's not much better veggie broth than the soaking water from shiitakes - are shelf-stable for a long long time anyway. Some of the best uses for short-grain rice prefer older stores of it, the huge markup for sushi rice is because it's aged and dryer. And a variety of cured sausages keep indefinitely in the pantry or in the fridge once opened. So my preparation for a storm like that, while it doesn't need attention every year and could be kept in a cabin or a vacation home without worry, is also comfy Asian cooking basics and game-day staples that gets cycled when I feel the mood.

>infowars

pfffffhahahahaha

If OP needs water on the move, he'll need those compressible water bags and either a gravity filter or a pump filter. Also consider a single-wall, stainless steel 64.oz water bottle so you can use that as a container and something you can safely boil water in.

>being this cucked

> TVP

Protip: check out if you have an Adventist grocery store (sometimes inside of Adventist book stores). They often have big containers of dried TVP in various flavors that are pretty good, and fortified with vitamins you'll need. Just avoid the ones that contain 'partially hydrogenated' anything as the last thing you need is heart disease in your bunker.

Stuff like pic related is good:

> 16 oz bag
> 1oz is serving
> 94 calories per serving
> 14g protein per serving
> 0.3g fat per serving (cook with an oil!)
> 2.8g net carbs
> 5.7g fiber (so you can actually shit)

One bag is like 5 days worth of protein (unless you plan on doing weight-lifting or something).

Buy a 5 gallon bucket with a good rubber seal (Home depot sells them for like $5).

Get some cheap oxygen removers from amazon.

Fill half the bucket with a bag of rice, fill the other half with a bag of beans, on the top you can add some simple spices that will last a while like salt, pepper and some chicken stock cubes.

I have like 10 of these buckets sitting in my closet, they will last forever, only cost me like $200 to fill and can feed you over 12 months.

I forgot to say that you should be placing oxygen removers in each bucket, but it should be obvious and the $200 was for all 10 buckets.

Or some of this shit - I fry it up with onions and sloppy joe seasonings and tomato sauce and use in on sandwiches, but it can also be used for tacos.

1 can has 10 servings, and each serving has:

> 60 calories
> 0.5g fat
> 12g protein
> 0g net carbs
> 2g fiber

So each can has roughly 3 days worth of protein. Also fortified with thiamin, b6 and b12, riboflavin. Cook it with some fat or make it into a low-carb chili con carne for some tasty shelf-stable food that will keep you burning your reserve body fat efficiently while you wait it out.

Fucking shit, I ain't waking up every four hours just to stay alive!