Are there any other writers that appeal to the imagination as magically as Borges does...

Are there any other writers that appeal to the imagination as magically as Borges does? He wasn't as verbally virtuosic as Joyce was, but the images and concepts that he is able to conjur up are astounding. Looking for other writers with his abilities, not just for a Borges circle-jerking thread, though I wouldn't mind that too much.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fAM2NJnv3Dk
collegelit2014.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/the-continuity-of-parks.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no one?

Subscribe to this thread
Captcha: delivers long, lmao

Nabokov. Read Pale Fire and Ada

not even close

Very nice Borges documentary on youtube for those interested:

youtube.com/watch?v=fAM2NJnv3Dk

Italo Calvino, particularly in The Complete Cosmicomics, If On a Winter's Night a Traveler, and Invisible Cities.

Not quite as good as Calvino and Borges, but Adolfo Bioy Casares is worth your time.

Marcel Schwob, particularly Imaginary Lives and Double Heart.

italo calvino

Salvador Dali

Great point. I've changed my mind.

But seriously Pale Fire is endlessly imaginative, and Invitation to a Beaheading reads exactly like a lengthened Borges short

Julio Cortázar. "The Continuity of Parks" is a great short story.

collegelit2014.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/the-continuity-of-parks.pdf

Pretty decent, but what makes you say great?

Holy shit Jorge, it's a tiger, run!

Calvino and Umberto Eco

I heard Rodolfo Wilcock has some nice short stories. Italo Calvino gets often called "the Italian Borges", and he's got some points, but their style is very different. I would say that the writer I read that is the most close to Borges' style is Giorgio Manganelli

borges makes me want to learn some spic languages desu

that and working with a hot puerto rican chick

No.

I read this and i honestly think Dali should have kept to painting. The only thing he did while writing was presenting his eccentric personality in a convoluted manner, masking it as literary talent. Now some might like his style, fair enough, but even if do you like his style: i think it's a huge stretch to say he appeals to the imagination as magically as Borges does.

I've only heard the names Wilcock and Manganelli mentioned once before here on Veeky Forums and that was also within one post. Are you that poster user? Does sermones contra solicitudinem ring any bells?

Kafka

I'm not that poster but I really appreciated that post because it made me know my favorite italian writer (Manganelli).
> Does sermones contra solicitudinem ring any bells?
I heard of it. I think it was in the same post. I'm still pissed that I can't buy it on italian amazon

It was, the three books of that post are still on my to-read-list. What is it about Manganelli you like so much, i'm curious, i haven't read anything by him so far.

Bruno Schultz. Thank me later.

Italo Calvino
Copi
Bolaño
Gene Wolfe
Kafka
Silvina Ocampo

In Italian his prose is gorgeous, and in terms of content he's a unique mixture of baroque style and post-modern content. Centuria is a wonderful collection of short (2 pages) stories, which are always smart and remind sometimes of Borges' "cosmic delirium", but in a more sober and compressed way, even if all the stories have a certain "playful" feeling, since Manganelli himself considered tbe book a game.