Made my first prosciutto, how does it look?

Made my first prosciutto, how does it look?
Took me 8 months in my curing chamber to cure an 11 kilo leg, final weight was 6.5 kilos, it cured way faster than I expected.

m'chamber

My experience with prosciutto is limited to pre-sliced unfortunately, but I think that looks great and I would definitely love to try it. I hope to be able to set up a curing area someday, that's really cool user.

Process was pretty simple. I could have probably pulled it a month or 2 ago had I weighed it. It tastes pretty good, not too salty like the presliced.

Hey man that is pretty cool. I love hobbies like that. My family has grown a lot of our own food for years so anything you do by yourself is neat. It looks really good and I'd try it.

looks bretty gud

I’ve done a few pancettas and some sausage as well. I’m hoping to do a salami soon but the process for that is a bit more complicated since you have to introduce a mold culture.

beautiful my friend, i hope it tastes delicious. i would love to try and make prosciutto but i dont have the room, ill have to stick to making bacon for the time being.

more pictures OP please, I fucking love home curing

Same one. I’m too lazy to look through my phone to find cured sausage and pancetta. I’m doing 2 more pancettas this month though

I want to make bacon this month. Do you do a week long cure then smoke it?

who else do you have in the curing chamber

It looks like you should sciutt yourself.

I don’t have anything in it right now. I’m going to start some more stuff this month.

pro-skweeto

Looks beautiful. Can we see some slices?

When I get home tonight I’ll cut into some

Did you purchase a curing chamber or rig one up in an old refrig with a humidifier and thermostst?

I’m a refrigeration mechanic by trade so I made a chamber using an old fridge. The one I have doesn’t have an evaporator with a fan so I had to install a small dehumidifier to get the moisture out of my meats. Works excellent though because I can hang 8-10 legs of prosciutto if I want to.

>dehumidifier

Interesting. I was under the impression that standard refrig humidity was @ 40% and that causes the surface of the hams and sausages to dry too rapidly and trap moisture in the interior leading to spoilage. I thought you had to install a humidifier to increase humidity.

Looks kinda weird.

A traditional fridge has an evaporator coil with a fan blowing the air across it. The one I have is just a shell so the humidity in the box remains too high (90%).

congrats you made old ass crusty pig jerky

>prosciutto
Yeah it doesn't really appear to have to same texture or color that prosciutto is supposed to have.

What are you gonna do with it?
Also what makes it prosciutto instead of ham?

Damn OP. Looks pretty good.

Great question, and i must say i was hoping for it.

The thing is that prosciutto is the same thing as ham; It's just that i, like all "Italian americans" are such a massive faggot, but also that i because of my lack of personality use these italian terms to get attention from other people.

Oh okay, so it's not prosciutto then.

Well, yes... but also no.

Well it works i guess. Enjoy your dried ham.

Was just thinking about learning curing and aging
Any protips?

Not OP but prosciutto is aged longer than an american country ham and the american ham is cold smoked, so there's those thats. Tuscan prosciutto also adds a number of spices.

Ham is usually brine cured for a few weeks then smokes. I’m going to try and make one this month along with some bacon since I’m turning an old bbq into a smoker