Veeky Forums, what is the "Dark Souls" of cooking? Post the recipe and it's difficulty level

Veeky Forums, what is the "Dark Souls" of cooking? Post the recipe and it's difficulty level.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O8YQX-QgbXc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Beef Wellington on christmas eve

Fugu

Making one of your grandmother's recipes taste the same as it did when you were growing up

No, because you can't learn from your mistakes.

Whelp.

There we go.

>
Croissants from scratch

Steak. It has a hard learning curve that ranges from inedible shoe leather to king of meats and is extremely easy to fuck up if you don't pay attention.

Fucking this. Or your mother's for that matter.

Churros

whole roast turkey
cooked all the way through without the outside going dry

My mom could barely betty crocker, so idk what the fuck you're talking about.

take a really difficult recipe with a lot of convoluted steps
and then make an easier much less complex version of it so it appeals to a casual diner

I think he's referring to his own mother.

In what world is learning to cook a steak hard? It's like 2 steps.

Why do you do this to me user?

I think his point is that it's easy to learn how to make a shitty or mediocre steak, but making an excellent steak takes experience to do.

Cooked a 28 pound bird on christmas. Mixed all the seasoning I was going to use with soft butter then just massaged the entire thing. Threw some apple, onion, and lemon inside it followed by half a bottle of red wine. Halfway through cooking added more wine.
It was incredible

I get what he's trying to say, if you're not careful or you don't cook it a lot it's very easy for a steak to be overdone. The finger test only gets you so far.

Did wine go into the cavity or did you just baste the outside with it?

Emulsions, laminated doughs, shaping fresh pasta, steaming milk/latte art, piping bag skills, deboning skills, stock making (most people treat the stock pot like a garbage can and don’t understand the nuances of clarity and flavor), sauce making, knife sharpening, kitchen twine work, some egg white leavened items, tournes

Kitchen difficulty scale

God-tier
>Fine pastry
>Advanced butchery
>Properly shaping dough

Hard-tier
>basic butchery
>foams and emulsions
>making and controlling fires

Mid-tier
>poaching
>protein cookery
>knife skills

Easy-tier
>most of basic savory cooking

1/2 bottle in the duke prior to cooking, second round when it hit about 130 i'd say about 1/4 in the caboose and then 1/4 over the top

I tried making french macaroons once and failed completely.

this guy knows

good post

>Dark Souls
>hard
wewlad

I dunno, I cooked a picanha cut steak over a poorly made campfire medium rare with almost no experience

Why would I want to recreate those horrible recipes?

Fondant

>Dark souls is le hard

hello rreddit

being good at a videogame is like being good at sucking your own dick. either way, you're gay.

How are you this stupid?

I do that with chicken and dumplings actually... And i think Dark Souls is decently easy.

Risotto. Thousands of ways to do it, but getting that consistency just right is a pain in the ass, and if you fail, you've thrown away half an hour of your life.

I hear tail that it's blowfish.
But I'd say Ortolan. Look it up and visit the Cracked most cruel foods article and just give that a scimmy, that'll give you an idea.

I've never understood what's the point of drowning the bird. Couldn't you just pump it full of brandy after killing it?

Nigger, I don't drown birds for on a daily basis. I can't give you an accurate answer.

What's a finger test? I was raised on burnt steak so its the only steak I like now. Though its hard to burn it just the right way like my mother used too. Rather strange. Seems you need even experience to fuck it up

Dark Souls isn't hard.

youtube.com/watch?v=O8YQX-QgbXc

Did you actually just tell someone to go to Cracked? Why? Is this some sort of shitpost?

Turducken

sushi

Souffle?

Omelettes and salads (mixed and composed).
The simplest and freshest recipes are the most difficult ones to perfect.

Fish can be a bit tricky to get right. Most of them are very easy to overcook.

Good post

A lot of French food and technique is hard to master.

You died.

I've heard some Chinese dishes like abalone and sea cucumber are difficult to prepare well

I dunno about the Dark Souls of cooking, but the DS3 would be any dish with teleporting dogs in the ingredients.

moms can't cook for shit

grandmas are where it's at

The obvious ones in terms of technical difficulty are stuff like macarons, choc tempering, and white based foams and mirangues for pastry, and fish/primal meat butchery, intricate knife work (japanese stuff like katsuramuki or french tournéeing), complex sauces using volatile ingredients (fish/herb/game stocks), but also modern techniques like hydrocolloid emulsions, gels, spheres, foams and shit can be very hard to develop recipes for
This is also the case, you'd be surprised how few cooks can't cook a decent omlet to save their lives, even in fine dining. Eggs generally are a good indicator of raw ability and understanding of the intricacies of cooking.

the unironic best omelette of my life was from a greasy diner, i guarantee that whatever illegal immigrant made it had no grasp of the art of French cooking but it was still ten times better than omelettes I've had from actual restaurants.

sushi

Recreating a dish from home in a different country.

>Post the recipe and it's difficulty level.

If you don't mean to say "IT IS" then it's ITS and not IT'S.

the only learning curve for steak is not panicking when it starts to smoke during a reverse sear.

nothing in cooking is particularly difficult until there's money on the line AKA until you're churning it out for a restaurant. I guess butchering whole birds can be intimidating but worst fucking scenario you just pull up a video on YT before you start and play it in slow motion so you can follow along.

Emulsions are the only thing I struggle with here because I don't like fiddling with a sauce cooking it down and shit.

No one cares faggot kys

>not wanting to be drowned in cognac and eaten alive
Are you even Veeky Forums?

Apparently you cared enough to post that.

It's called possessive form you retard

That faggot argument doesn't make sense

the possessive is simply "its" with no apostrophe
apostrophe in "its" turns it into "it is" as a contraction, the other genitive forms "his" and "her" do not become "hi's" or "he'r"
adding an apostrophe to "its" when you don't mean "it is" is simply hyper-correction and is grammatically incorrect

Not using capital letters is also grammatically incorrect. So why don't you do everyone a favour and kys?

I have feet for hands and I find stuff like pleating crusts and stuffing delicate things like tomatoes difficult.

Sorry you both had mom's who were failures at cooking.

You were triggered enough to shit on me, therefore you cared.

Oh I'm sorry, my dear Baby Boy.
Don't like getting called out?

I told you no one cares about what you have to say. Me telling you that does not mean I care about what you have to say. Why would it? Pathetic reditor response same thing every time you idiots parrot the same shot constantly even though what you say is meaningless. Tell me where you live so I can cut your throat out.

>Tell me where you live so I can cut your throat out.
>being this triggered
kek