Hey Veeky Forums, /n/erd here...

Hey Veeky Forums, /n/erd here. I'm currently a student and the extent of my cooking skills are cooking chicken and vegetables with ethnic looking sauces.
What are some good introduction recipes to every day cooking? What are the must haves for any kitchen?
Any advice would be helpful

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/25678/beef-stew-vi/?internalSource=streams&referringId=1540&referringContentType=recipe hub&clickId=st_recipes_mades
cookingwithdog.com/recipe/spicy-tebasaki-chicken-wings/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

start with pasta

make a variety of different sauces

Make the sauces from scratch? I buy jarred sauces already but that's not real cooking

For me it's the McChicken

Chicken and dumplings, shepherds pie, casseroles, lasagna.

Keep onions, garlic, pasta, rice, and potatoes on you always.

Keep cream on hand if you like cream sauces.

Honestly, the “must haves” for a kitchen depend on your style. For example, my mom ALWAYS has soy sauce, ginger, rice (calrose), apple cider vinegar, and used to always also have some type(s) of pork on hand because my mom cooks a lot of Filipino/Asian foods. We typically didn’t stock pasta (aside from maybe spaghetti), cheese, chicken breast, basil, cumin, etc. We NEVER stock curry. My boyfriend’s mom will stock nutritional yeast, cheese, canned tomatoes, basil/oregano/sage/thyme, etc because she cooks Italian.

But as mentioned, onion, garlic, pasta/rice/potatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, various herbs... vinegar, dry white wine, dry red wine, chicken broth (maybe beef or vegetable broth...)

Making tomato sauce from 'scratch' is pretty easy. Sautee some onions/garlic in olive oil, add various herbs (oregano, thyme, fresh basil etc.) and some spices (salt, pepper), and some crushed tomatoes and simmer for however long you want (longer will generally be better). There's more you can do with it, but that's a really basic idea.

*because she cooks vegetarian and Italian. She NEVER had soy sauce stocked.

Watch America's Test Kitchen, Good Eats, and Food Wishes. Also read Serious Eats

Never substitute ingredients until you don't suck. If you can't find the ingredients for a recipe, don't make it.

Easiest sauce is minced garlic sauteed in olive oil, then add lemon juice and red pepper flakes to taste.

My personal essentials are aromatic vegetables, potatoes, rice and broth. Especially broth, people don't tend to think about needing it until they're SOL without it.

>If you can't find the ingredients for a recipe, don't make it.
but that's fucking retarded. If I just write down my edit, then it is a recipe. I cpould post it to whatever internet blog, and then it'd be "legit" holy fuck you are retarded.
cooking is about experimentation.

Your food probably sucks because you can't read and insist that you must substitute ingredients.

When you aren't good at cooking and then you start substituting ingredients you're probably fucking up because you don't have any intuition. You end up doing stupid shit like substituting chicken breast instead of using chicken thighs because its more expensive thinking that its better. Or you buy a tenderloin when a recipe calls for chuck and wonder why it sucks.

cooking is about experimentation when you know what the fuck you are doing and why basic recipes are made the way they are made.

Beef stew. I'm just like you, and I just made myself 10 servings of beef stew and its AMAZING. It's time consuming but easy af fuck to make.

I used this recipe but replaced the corn starch with 1/4 cup flour. allrecipes.com/recipe/25678/beef-stew-vi/?internalSource=streams&referringId=1540&referringContentType=recipe hub&clickId=st_recipes_mades

Make it, freeze extra and be happy for a week.

t. Student cooking for the first time

Thanks I'll look into it

Im talking about seasonings

>ethnic looking sauces

jesus christ just stay out of the kitchen please.

I find that buying puff pastry and filling it with whatever you want works very well. You can make a ton for a very cheap price. That or buy egg noodles and stock. More healthy than pot noodles and cheaper.

Must haves?
>a decent knife
>10 inch or bigger stainless stel pan
>a cutting board
>a wood spoon and/or metel stirring utensil
>a metal spatula
If you do most of your cooking on stove top this is pretty much all you need

Oh yeah, and a sauce pan. Fuck that nonstick coating bullshit. Go stainless.

Yes, from scratch. Make everything from scratch, even mayo (super easy to make). It's fine to use canned tomatoes though, the one I find in a store is worse than the canned ones. Just make sure there isn't any sugar or other useless shot.

I suggest getting into stews as well. Cheaper cuts (the fattier bits with lots of collagen and preferably bones) can turn heavenly and they store a lot better than pasta in both the fridge and freezer.

Puff pastry is like 50% butter, just so you know.

The more ethnic the jars the better. Best ones only have english in small print next to some squiggly language. Top tier desu

Seasonings are an even more important thing to not substitute when cooking something new and you're a beginner. Most don't realize how fucking important they are. They also do stupid shit like reduce the necessary amount of salt to be healthier and other dumb shit.

This dish taste absolutely nothing like the real thing without the sansho and ichimi even if you follow the other steps exactly. cookingwithdog.com/recipe/spicy-tebasaki-chicken-wings/
A new cook would see something like mirin and sake and sub those out for vodka and sugar. And then they would wonder why the dish sucks.

If you're aware that's not real cooking, then yes, obviously from scratch, shit for brains.

I bought stuff for that recipe
I'm gonna try it later

Here we go

That is some sad looking stew, my friend.

You can sub thyme for oregano pretty safely. I dunno what jap nonsense you are telling me.

Shitty bait fuck off please.

Jesus Christ fellas. Get a grip. The guy is asking for help.

okay going to simmer for 2 hours now, beef stew is in the pot.

Is your name Gannon?

so I'm making my stew now. Should I make scones too? They are easy no?

Still, he need to be ridiculed until he's strong enough to survive on his own.

Okay here's my stew

Kek

surely that should not be the prevailing dogma of this board:– intellectual chastisement in order to enforce norms.

I just looked into the recipe and i must say its pretty shitty. With just a little bit more effort you could cook something 8/10

Britbong says curry. Madras especially. Look up an easy recipe and get the basic ingredients, you'll end up using them all xx

GAMMON
A
M
M
O
N

please elaborate

I made scones too and had people for dinner, they said it was really good. I feel proud of myself.

Nice! Sorry I just got back to this thread. Yea my housemate really liked mine too. I added to much flour (was like 1/3 cup) so it was super thicc but even so was super easy and tasty. Ive got enough left over for a few more dinners too.
Is this you Nick?

The recipe is really basic. Check out some french or belgiun stews. Way more flavor.

>The recipe is really basic.
Isn't that the point? It's flavorful, but needs very little ingredients or skill.

All im saying is that it could be much better with little more effort.

I used pre packaged beef broth instead of the boullion and water. I think that made it taste much better

Most Americans do not have reasonable access to produce that doesn't require a lot of ingredients. Even in higher end grocery stores and farmer markets the produce most of the farmers are pumping out sucks when compared globally. Our meat and dairy is good enough, and there actually is access to the higher end, but simple ingredient recipes don't work in this country.

I had to go to three different stores to find navy beans the other day. I've seen rare instance where supermarkets didn't have celery, or carrots.

Shit is ridiculous.

Where the fuck are you living? I live in the middle of flyover country, on the least-fashionable end of town, and my local grocery has a dozen kinds of tomatoes, half a dozen varieties of chiles in stock at all times, friggen plantains, bok choy, hell we've got goddamned pomelos when they're in season.