Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

>Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

What did Joyce mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TV3vT5nW_I4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_James_Joyce
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnegans_Wake#Hundred-letter_words
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Everyone always talks about the first thunder.

No one ever talks about the other nine.

That's because most people don't read more than the first three pages.

The fall

Pride.

i fucking hate pseud-teir notes like this

>The Final Boss of Literature

Why waste 15+ years on a joke book though? Just to do it? I've never met anyone who's ever gotten past ten pages in it

>calls someone a pseud
>can't even spell tier

People only call it a joke because they don't have the stamina for it so they want to make themselves feel better about it by downplaying its relevance. Kind of like the people who dismiss genre fiction out of hand.

Here you go OP. Took me two minutes

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TV3vT5nW_I4

And probably shouldn't...

This is how everyone annotates, you fucking asshole

They're better readers than you

I always, always thought it was a referance to the fall of Babel.
Considering the different languages describing an onematepoetic sound.

Apparently the grandson who manages the estate is a total fucking asshole.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_James_Joyce

This guy doesn't even have the excuse that James was his /immediate/ family, like it's that close, that personal. Yes, it's still personal but you know what I mean.

Hm.

This time, it's personal.

I ordered fw in an impulse like a week ago and english isn't my first language, I know nothing about irish history and mythology, and I'm not even close to what a "well read" person is
AMA

>AMA
How much did it cost you?

A few dollaridoos
I'm to lazy to check, but it wasnt a hurtful amount

>english isn't my first language
Don't worry, the book is not written in English.

But it sounds like it.

No not really.

Joss.

Jim Joss of Dab-lin?

Joss of Whedonia

This. The thunderword itself is at least 6 languages in itself

you have no hope of even finishing the first page. And even if you persist you will get nothing out of it.

it means its hard to get down a gangplank early in the morning, sailor

Carl Jung, while treating Joyce's daughter for schizophrenia, claimed James was a schizophrenic diving headfirst into the waters.

I'll never understand people on Veeky Forums who try to stop other people from reading. And I only ever see it on Veeky Forums.

POSER thread

You're probably blind then. Every board tells idiots not to jump in the deep end. Those idiots don't listen and then come back to shitpost about how lame everything is and how everyone is poser for liking something difficult. like

He literally explains it in the same sentence.

Well it doesn't help that nobody seems to be able to explain what's so good about Only God Forgives. You ask and they just say "pleb" and call you underage.

it exists elsewhere. it's called gatekeeping. small souled people need to keep others down to feel big and important. there's nothing more pathetic.

>Implying reading is a competition or skill

I want to buy a book filled with annotations like this, but I feel like I would become more interested in the notes than the book itself.

There is that book by J.J Abrams that is basically about this (I think it is named S)

I would literally never read a book by J.J. Abrams. The man can not write. And I do not say this as some pretentious asshole who dismisses film completely. He is legitimately bad.

Only God Forgives is shit and /tv/ just has a boner for Refn. He's a fucking hack and has no screenwriting skills (his movies are pretty).

The "deep end" of movies probably starts with Tarkovsky, Tarr, some of Resnais, etc.

Wow, a post on Veeky Forums of all places manages to be more helpful and informative about films than /tv/ with a passing comment.

That really is a consistent problem I've noticed with /tv/. They only know how to appreciate the visual aspect of a film. When someone criticizes the writing (or lack thereof) they melt down.

I've heard of it, but I read a summary and it doesn't catch my attention. Pale Fire is supposed to be something like it in a way, right? An author is commenting on a poem and eventually switches gears to talking about his own life instead? I might be wrong though.

Eh.

Meh.

...reading IS a skill. That's why you learned it when you were a fucking baby.

A fucking. PENCIL.

Heh.

Glad I could help. /tv/ doesn't like to read much so they don't care much about narrative structure, dialogue, 'deeper meaning' or any of that textual stuff. Notice how they've been circlejerking over Malick's "Song to Song" when it's a clear late period embarrassment from a filmmaker who's actually studied philosophy (although, again, it is pretty)

He meant that we all should respect women.

he was having a stroke, but decided it made as much sense as anything else he wrote and put it in his book.

Especially their farts.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Thanks. I was actually thinking of bringing up Malick specifically so it's funny you mention him. Like, I can't deny it's visually stunning, and sometimes that's enough to keep me entertained. But what I'll never get is pretending it's so much better than everything else, like some high form of art that only a select few enlightened can understand. It all boils down to people wanting to feel like they're better than others without having any real right to do so. And those who actually do have such a right acknowledge it as a childish thing to do and know better than to condescend.

>takes a bunch of words for thunder from a ton of different languages and mashes them together

wow, absolutely genius

>I'm a faggot with a big brain and basically you're fuckin' retarded

I think he meant notes regarding Finnegans Wake

Trust me, knowing English will not significantly increase the scrutability of Finnegans Wake

It is a mistake (and a bit plebish mind you) to dress this arbitrary dichotomy between "visuals" and "writing" in films, as if a filmmaker role was simply a technical task of porting a script to the screen. Cinema is a visual art, Metropolis wouldn't be a great film if it was shot by a mediocre filmmaker, Kurosawa isn't regarded as one of the great because of the writing of his films.

It's more like the most powerful hidden optional boss that you have to use all the best equipment upgrades for to even try to take on.

And I will snatch every motherfucking birthday.

>he watches movies for the plot
I bet you also read for the plot, brainlet fucking shit.

nice
fag

You are mistaking movies with cinema. In movies the screenwriting is very important because otherwise the movie would have little redeeming value. In cinema, the writing is of little to no importance. Many great filmmakers don't even have a script when they start filming, yet their films still manage to be engaging in ways a movie would never be. A very famous example of this is Fellini's 8 1/2. That's why filmmakers like Malick or Lynch are respected and liked by many people, it's not just because their films look pretty.

>be an irish intellectual
>try to think how to get famous and respected
>i know
>ill write a bunch o pointless senseless scribbles and sell them as genius of the avantgarde
>if anyone tries to argue against me - emperor is naked
this is why i respect joyce - takes a real genius to scam and make entire world fools

Imagine saying
"They're better readers than you" and not feeling embarrassed

Jack London wrote a novel like this, was interesting.

>clittering
>note says "clitoris"
>better readers
Only a pseud would misconstrue an onomatopoeia transformed into a verb as a direct reference to the clitoris.

cliotar in erse means patter
klettern, in germain, to climb

www.fweet.org/cgi-bin/fw_grep.cgi?srch=clittering&cake=&icase=1&accent=1&beauty=1&hilight=1&escope=1&tscope=1&rscope=1&dist=4&ndist=4&fontsz=100&shorth=0

>the noise of hurrying feet
Is this not an onomatopoeia?

>You are mistaking movies with cinema.
Oh, please don't do that /tv/ thing where you use two synonyms and pretend they're completely different words.

>feet
That James Joyce and his fetishes for literally everything.

>I know thunderwords. I have the best thunderwords.

That clitoris note is written in a different color, which makes me think someone else wrote it or that it was thrown in there as a joke to see if anyone would notice.

Are you retarded? The differentiation between movies and cinema is widely accepted. /tv/ takes it to autistic levels with shit like kino and flicks, which if you haven't noticed it's meant to be humorous. Or are you saying that Star Wars and Solaris are the same thing? Movies are made for entertainment and profit, cinema is made for artistic expression.

epic trol

It's just like Veeky Forums making a distinction between literary fiction and genre fiction. Don't be so autistic about it.

epic cuck

>It's just like Veeky Forums being autistic. Don't be so autistic about it.
That distinction is stupid too. Just call them all books.

Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

I'M THE SCATMAN!

All right, which one of you autists just did this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnegans_Wake#Hundred-letter_words

What the fuck are you specifically referring to?

*farts in your face*

t. genre fiction reader

Don't be dumb.

The fact that the item was added to the article very recently.

tfw youre romanian and there s no translation available for finnegans wake

tfw romanian and able to read joyce without any issues

where's a decent place to start for 'cinema'?

any /tv/ move/film/cinema starter kit or are they shit?

cheers

Start with silent films and The Jazz Singer.

any silent films in particular?

metropolis

Amazing, meme posts from both of you.

Everyone, these are the kind of people who pretend to read "literature."

Bababa.

I've read it twice and loved it, but I don't take it nearly as seriously as the asspie in OPs picture.

If you don't take it seriously what the fuck are you getting out of it? Just a scrawny guy with an eyepatch saying a bunch of silly words.

>what the fuck are you getting out of it?
I read for pleasure. Why do you read?

I also read for pleasure, but I don't try to pretend there's some nobility to reading Joyce over a piece of genre fiction.

nice

Why do all the pseud shitposters on this board always have no arguments? I call them out and they freeze up.

The Little Rascals, and Charlie Chaplin for starters, and this

The Birth of a Nation