Beginner Cook

What's the best chef's knife for the cheapest? Willing to spend 40-50 dollars. More if you can convince me.

Also, what are some "essential" appliances for a beginner cook like myself?

Pic related. It's who I hope to be someday.

A thread died for this

It's a legit question bro. What's your deal?

Oh no not another ja/ck/ thread what will we do

Whetstones and a proper honing steel are more important
Invest in those

Ok, noted. But I still need a knife.

Come on broskis, don't fail me now!

This should suit your skill level and budget.

There's a Henckels santoku knife on Amazon for $45... It's decent enough to get you started.

Just go to a good store and hold some knives and ask for advice. This whole knife thing is one big meme

Get an 8 inch Victorinox chef knife or the like.

I'd say that a food processor/blender/immersion mixer is pretty essential. One of those. A food mill would suffice, though.

Ikea has decent 20$ knives and I think they even have more expensive 30 or 40 dollar ones too. I use 2 of the 20$ Ikea knives and I haven't had a problem yet. Then again I don't debone chickens or anything, just general chopping and slicing of veggies/meat.

Ordered this knife, have an acquaintance that makes custom handles. How'd I do?

faggot/10

That looks fcking terrible

Pretty fucking ugly in all honesty.

people mostly shit talking you just to be dicks/because you're on Veeky Forums and desperate for validation. the knife is probably fie, although this pic tells us nothing about what kind of steel it was made with (or how it was made) which is pretty important

Global, Dexter, Victoria Knox are good brands that aren't super high end and should fit your budget make sure to hold the type of knife you want if you can to be sure the handle feels comfy to you.

Get a stone (ask the guy who sells you the knife what the best grit it and order it online) and a honing steel.
Beyond that get a peeler, tongs, a spatula, a fish spatula and probably like a whisk. Maybe a basting spoon and madolin. Otherwise don't buy equipment until you need it for a dish you won't use alot of it.

Well this is the rest of the page, I've always wanted Damascus steel and I love Santoku styled knives. I want this knife to last me a... Knife-time.

I have no idea about the quality of the knife. I'm sure it will do it's job fine. I just think it's an ugly knife.

I take it back, you deserve every bad thing anyone says about you.

Why though?