Brothers Karamazov Pre-Requisite Reading?

What prerequisite reading should I do before The Brothers Karamazov?

the entire western canon

link?

I'd say read some more Dosto before getting into TBK. If you're in a hurry, read the Underground Notes, it is a short read.
Of course some background on Russian literature would be good, but if you get an edition with good notes you're golden.

I've read Crime & Punishment and almost all of Chekhov's stories. I hear TBK is very philosophical, are there any philosophy prereqs/concepts I should be familiar with?

Honestly just Crime and Punishment. Obviously there is a ton about the orthodox faith and it's dense conceptually, but it doesn't quite rely on others texts that much outside Dost having been influenced by various things.

if you use ignat avsey's translation for oxford world classics, you don't need to read anything. his footnotes describe every allusion in full detail.

however, pushkin gets referenced a lot because he's, well, pushkin. it wouldn't be the worst idea to read eugene onegin beforehand. also, read the bible, old and new testaments. also, read oedipus rex. also, read freud's "totem and taboo." also, read kierkegaard's entire output

Also, learn how to construct a fucking sentence.

first dostoevsky i read was notes from underground, and then brothers k. thought bk was amazing so i don't think you need to know too much as a prerequisite.

Tbh you could just jump into it if it's Avsey's translation. Either way most everything Dostoevsky wrote was fantastic so I'd definitely read his major novels/novellas.

The FUCKING Bible

What do u guys think of the David McDuff edition? Did I waste my money? Just bought one recently without thinking fml

Good translator, I read his Petersburg and it had a ton of notes. I hear both his Bros K and C&P are good, sasuga Penguin

Why has no one mentioned p&v??

It's a prerequisite thread not a translation thread you fucking faggot

I would also read "Resurrection from the Underground" by Rene Girard in order to understand the mechanisms whereby Dostoevsky is able to shed light on the anthropological fact of mimetic desire. And i will reiterate what another user said.. Read the Bible.

Best answer

If you have a version with footnotes, you are already set. You don't need anything else. It was my first Dosto book and I think I "got it", then again, I was raised catholic, so I don't know how much that helped. You were likely raised in a christian household, so most biblical references should be easy to get.

Probably because they're not worth mentioning

Only pussies ask these questions. Just read it

also, learn how to recognize a literary device

Yet another worthless thread.