/FSG/ Fermentation Station General

As in the previous threads, this is all about the fermentation, long term storage, curing, home hooch concocting, and the general discussion of the life force we breed into our food and drink stuffs--which makes them not only delicious, but pretty damn good for you too. The informational links are a growing dialogue, so maybe post a link to something you found overly useful or very interesting and it might find a home in the below. Let's learn together.

What is lacto fermenting?
culturesforhealth.com/learn/natural-fermentation/what-is-lacto-fermentation/

Beginner lacto fermentation recipes
thespruce.com/lacto-fermentation-fruit-and-vegetable-recipes-1327727
farmcurious.com/blogs/farmcurious/17599580-lacto-fermentation-recipes

Lacto fermentation brine calculator
pickl-it.com/blog/737/brine-calculator/

Fun fermenting YouTube Videos
youtube.com/watch?v=Ng2zOFADe0s&list=PLKtIunYVkv_S7LqWqRuGw1oz-1zG3dIL4 [Open]

Canning 101
simplebites.net/canning-101-the-basics/
seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-can-canning-pickling-preserving-ball-jars-materials-siphoning-recipes.html

Home brewing 101 & recipes
northernbrewer.com/learn/homebrewing-101/
homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipes/

Curing 101
melissaknorris.com/how-to-dry-cure-meat-at-home/
breakingmuscle.com/healthy-eating/home-curing-101-create-delicious-cured-meats-at-home

Hot search keywords: BOTULISM... AM I GOING TO DIE????, jarring, fermented hot sauce, ginger bug, air locks, kombucha, scoby, sauerkraut, tepache, pickles, kimchi, ginger beer, kefir, fermented vegetables, fermented breads, refrigerated meat curing, home brew, kvass, tempeh, yogurt, kham yeast, t'ej, miso, koji, sourdough, fermented condiments, homemade vinegar, natto, fermented honey garlic, mead

I've got kvass and beer brewing right now. The kvass should be done this afternoon. The beer should be ready to bottle in 2 weeks

So you crazy pepole convinced me to try this

Just chopped up some carrots and ginger, crammed it in a jar, salted it and added water.

The other is my white peoples kimchi, paksoi, daikon/rettich, carrot, ginger, fish sauce, chili and salt oh and some chards leaves because why the hell not.

This better be worth the food poisoning

What % brine?

Did 5 grams on half a liter and some extra just to be sure

It is my first time so please don't take this as advice and please tell me of I should add more

5 grams of salt is a 1% brine.
I like a 3% brine personally. So that's 15 grams of salt for half a litre of water

Just doubled up on the salt and gave em a good shake. Thanks

quick question i made my first batch of kimchi, i did a mix of two recipes and had to use sirachi as my main chilli paste ingredient i know the best but hey ho. unfortunately i had to split it between to jars because they were to small, anyway i was wondering how salty should it be?
or am i being a silly novice because i didnt really weigh it all out

Im attempting to make some sauerkraut, I think I oversalted them. Im not getting any fermentation at all!

New batch 3 days in

I've never had such a bubbly ferment, I think I got my hand on some quality source ingredient.

Only new one is the red; the pepper is called el guapo.Somewhat sweet, somewhat spicy. Should make a great sauce.

That's a really low brine %. Make sure to test it properly before eating. Veggies usually have a standard of 3% brine. Remember to burp it every day since you don't have airlocks.

I'm getting conflicting results, can kimchi be stored at room temperature for over a month if sealed?

You're going to loose a lot of the crisp that a fresher batch has, but most certainly. Although it is ideal to move it into a cooler location after your desired ferment period in order to slow the ferment down.

So my very first batch of Kvass just finished brewing.
It smells pretty tart and fairly pungent.
I tasted a bit and its sweet with a tart kick. Is that normal? Will i die?

Pics and recipe? Been wanting to try Kvass since the first general.

I have been using a starter culture for saurkraut and other veggies. Should i give it a try without? It is organic produce.

Also wanting to make fermented chickpeas, black beans, maybe some pickled boiled eggs. Any tips?i just became vegetarian so reducing phytic acid content is important, as i am getting most of my protein from beans now.

Im considering doing a food experiment where i eat 80% fermented food in my diet for 3 months, to see what happens.

Ferment without culture, and just save some of the excess liquid from it to make your own culture for future batches. It's an ideal way to go because it will add depth over time.

Added 10 grams to each jar after another comment :)

The kimchi jar already had a small layer of sediment the morning but that is probably from the small stuff like chili.

p.s. the kimchi jar seemed to let off some air when I gently unscrewed it a bit but it might have been my imagination

the carrot jar didn't and it seems like the carrots have shrunk a little because yesterday everything was crammed in there and now it can more a little bit.

any other simple recipes are welcome because I will probably empty another pickle jar tonight

So how do you guys know when something has gone bad?

In before cooch

Visual test: Unfamiliar fuzzies
Smell test: Smells pleasant, and not spoiled
Taste test: Small piece on your tongue to test for bad flavor

so a friend gave me a scoby in a ziploc bag, i have no idea what to do with it.

kombucha. boil 2 Lt earl grey, let it cool, strain it into a big ass jar, dissolve 1/2 cup sugar into it, and add 1/2 cup of bought kombucha. throw in the scoby and cover with cloth and elastic bands for 1 week - a month. transfer to bottles, add some juice of your choosing. leave at toom temp for another 2 or 3 days to carbonate, then keep refridgerated

>scoby
Scobies at gay as fuck hipster trash. Toss it out. Buy yourself some champagne yeast and make a real fermented drink.

can anyone recommend me a beginner drink to ferment?

Hard cider. Assuming you already have the gear it's very easy.
1 gallon apple juice. Any kind as long as its 100% juice with no preservatives.
1 cup sugar
Champaign or a neutral ale yeast.
Wala.

Fermentation is cool

Fuck off

Kvass.

Its literally just bread, fruit and water in a jar for 14 days.

Okay update:

Kimchi, some stuff got floaty, some stuff sunk, some sediment on the bottoman

Carrots: clearly shrunk because they were tight and now they can move a bit.

Both seemed to have some tiny bubbles at the surface but that could be me seeing stuff

Sorry for potato quality pictures

Crappy closeup of the sediment

Looks like the carrot pickles are clearly fermenting. Fwiw, your kimchi looks too watery. Did you salt the cabbage, leave it sit for a day and drain the water? It's different from kraut, at least the way my korean wife makes it. She doesn't have it submerged but she only leaves it out for a day before refrigerating so I guess hers slow ferments in the refrig but it doesn't hsve much liquid. I like it before it gets very sour except for kimchi chige which we like sour af.

Yeah I didnt do the rice flour thing so it may be too watery due to that, or alternatively I didn't compress it enough. Ahhh we'll see what happens

Throw it out before it puts you in a coma.

When a ferment is done bubbling... does that mean it's done fermenting?