Why won't my bread rise?

What are some tips for getting bread to rise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YFpykvPSJfY
breadcompanion.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/making-sourdough-bread-using-the-tartine-folding-method-and-banneton-basket/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

needs more yeast

Did you intend for it to be a flat loaf like? If not, it looks like the yeast worked fine but you had a high hydration dough, so it spread and you lost the height.

Either stick it in a tin to contain it, or reduce the hydration to make it less slack.

Refrigeration slows down the activity of the yeast, so make sure the area is a reasonable temperature. Make sure you're using the right type of yeast for whatever you're trying to make, as I'm assuming you're following a recipe. Make sure you're using enough yeast by measuring by weight.

blast it with piss

wew, there's an old one

Classic

Proof it by putting it into the (cold, off) oven with a lasagna pan of boiling water underneath while it rises

is that a no knead?
what flour you using? how much yeast for kg of flour? water? oil? salt? resting time?

old yeast

dough was too cold while it was proofing.

rub a thin coat of oil in metal pan. like a sheet cake pan. put a electric heating pad under it and set it to 100 degrees or medium. put your dough in . then cover it with a kitchen towel.

Have you tried waking it up?

it'd be helpful to know what your recipe and process are, OP!

it rose a bit by the looks of it

try not fucking with it after the initial rise

First, you need the right amount of yeast, and time for it to rise. Second, you need heat for "oven spring". Make sure to pre-heat your oven until it gets up to temp, and use a baking stone to put your bread on, or flip a cookie sheet upside down and use that as a "baking stone".

We can't really troubleshoot your baking unless you give us your recipe.

We use silicone bread pans now.

>bump
this rises your bread. you're welcome.

Top kok

Fuck crumbfags, don't have time for them- but that's just if im being honest WITH my fans...

>tfw poor so the apartment is always

Make sure your flour mix isn't too dense.

A loaf with lots of rye and spelt flour won't rise anywhere near as much as a straight white.

Yeast you stupid motherfucker.

How do i keep my dough from getting a "skin" during rising?

Looks kinda crumby OP, did you knead the dough properly to get the glutens working?

Depends on the shape, but typically you can lightly cover it with plastic wrap that has a light coating of non stick spray oil. Just very loosely cover it so it doesn't press against the dough when it rises. If you proof in bannetons or couches you can just cover it with a towel unless it's going in the refrigerator over night

>How do i keep my dough from getting a "skin" during rising?

put dough in cardboard box, then put box in plastic bag.

I figured I'd post here rather than making a whole new thread.
Recently I've been baking sourdough loads, but they always end up very dense, and lack the bit air pockets I am trying to get. I am almost certain that it is not due to weak yeast, as my most recent recipe I used 2 cups of very active mother starter, and spiked it with about 2 tsp of commercial yeast. The dough is rising, but not as much as it should. I am wondering if I am over working the bread.

the bread rises, brother

a bit more kneading
keep it warm and away from drafts

Other photo of my loaf.

Rise your dough in the oven with the oven light on, or turn it on "warm"(or lowest possible temp) until it reaches about 90 and then turn it off.

>Why won't my bread rise?

Too little yeast

Insufficient kneading to distribute the yeast

Too much handling after the rising has started

Insufficient time allowed for rising compared to the amount of sugar in the recipe

Too much time allowed for rising, bread has risen, then collapsed again.

Initial liquid too warm, killed the yeast

Initial liquid too cold, yeast never woke up from hibernation

>But I'm using baking soda!

Then I have no idea.

mayb more baking powder?

>this rises your bread. you're welcome.

kek

>What are some tips for getting bread to rise?
it did rise

are you baking it at like 200F or something?

The only rising agents in the bread are the mother starter and yeast.

Bread novice here:

How does the baking soda reaction not create more rise?

*baking powder reaction

Baking soda may cause a lot of rise, but it can leave an after taste if you don't have an acidic ingredient to help neutralize the residue it leaves behind. That's why recipes that use baking soda often use buttermilk, which is acidic, in the same recipe.

I meant baking powder, which has the acid mixed in.

try using the long and slow "stretch method" instead of kneading it. also, if your starter is very active you shouldn't have to spike it with commercial yeast, or at least not with that much!

The slower process of letting it rise with the yeast helps add flavor to the bread. as the bacteria eat and multiply, it changes the flavor of the bread around them.

Do you have any guide or youtube video you can recommend for that method?

>The slower process of letting it rise with the yeast helps add flavor to the bread. as the bacteria eat and multiply, it changes the flavor of the bread around them.

Alright I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just wondering why the baking powder reaction would not, in addition to that or if you're not doing that time, help the rise?

Sure.
youtube.com/watch?v=YFpykvPSJfY

breadcompanion.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/making-sourdough-bread-using-the-tartine-folding-method-and-banneton-basket/

There are lots of examples on YT and on different bread blogs. Some googling will give you a lot more info!

Learned what I know from this dude

he knows his shit

>youtube.com/watch?v=YFpykvPSJfY
I don't have enough knowledge to say why it is so, but in all the recipes I've seen, baking powder is only used in quick breads as they are called. Traditional breads using yeast never have them used in conjunction with baking powder. It could be a silly tradition, but I assume there is some reason why more experienced bakers don't use the two together.

Thanks!

what warm place do you put it to rise? I think that may be the issue

you can put it in the COLD oven with the oven light turned on

depends on the wattage, my 40W light doesn't appreciably make it warmer than room temperature

i turn the oven on ~300F for about 30 seconds then turn it off

you could also boil water in a pot and put the pot in there

yeasts are fungi you maniac