Thoughts on this crazy nigga

Thoughts on this crazy nigga

"Thick as a Brick" is one hell of an album, all right.

if nobody replies to your thread, let it die and make a new one

Check the post/reply count, it's legit.

Anyway, if this were /co/ I'd have a lot to talk about as I'm a fan of his work, Lost Girls being my personal favourite.

As it is though, this is Veeky Forums and I've not read Jerusalem or the other novel he did before that, so I'm not sure what to say.

Every time it does come up, there's usually a discussion between people who have read it with half being fans and the other half saying he uses too much description and it's a bit boring.

he's a top5 author for me. haven't read jerusalem yet, but voice of the fire is a great novel and i'm a huge fan of his comics.

He actually buys all that Gnostic rot that was disproved in the numerous Church Councils. May the Lord have mercy on his soul. Kyrie Eleison.

Homeless man: “Yeah. To be honest with you, I’m an alcoholic, but I’ve cut it right down to a couple a day, and a couple of days ago… I don’t believe in ghosts, but I saw a woman walking, and just – out of the corner of my eye, and I looked, it was in the rain and I was going to say what are you doing in the rain, and she just… went away. There was nowhere for her to go.”

Alan Moore is so enrapt by this story that he’s unconsciously taken several small steps towards the man, and is leaning in to catch every word. I’m starting to understand that Moore is some sort of Weirdness Magnet.

Moore: “This area is full of ghosts, and actually, being a bit pissed helps to see them. I believe it. It’s why there were so many of them in pubs. All the pubs round here had at least two or three, when I was a kid. So, the pubs have been pulled down, where else have they got to go? Out in the rain with you, eh?”

They chat for a while, the homeless man and the super-successful author who only looks like he could be homeless, about the supernatural and the history of Northampton. Then, in an echo of a scene in Jerusalem so uncanny it makes my head spin, Moore stuffs a crumpled £20 note into the man’s hands.

Moore: “You look after yourself mate, have a good weekend, it’s really nice to meet someone who appreciates the ground they’re standing on.”

Homeless man [suddenly blurts out]: “I enjoyedWatchmen.”

Moore: “Did you?”

Homeless man: “I loved it.”

Moore: “Oh, that’s nice.”

Homeless man: “You and… Gibbon?”

Moore [Northampton accent suddenly stronger in anger]: “Dave Gibbons. Oi hope Oi never see that fucker for as long as Oi live. Oi don’t have a copy of the book in me ‘ouse, but Oi’m glad you got some pleasure out of it, mate.”

Homeless man: “AndThe Killing JokeBatman, that is a belter.”

Moore: “Well, I threw it out. But glad you liked it, man. Have a good day, won’t you.”

pretty cool. told hollywood to fuck off and admits watchmen & vendetta films were shit.

>Church Councils
White-washed tombs

I lol'd, and you're right.

/co/ is mostly a shit board. Graphic novels should be talked here. At least they match the general thread of Veeky Forums more than stupid talks about religion. I dream of a future where Veeky Forums can discuss the artistic merits of Daniel Clowes, Charles Burns and Chris Ware. (And Moore, of course). Join me, o Veeky Forumsizens who like graphic novels, we shall smash the /pol/s with the Grant Morrison!

You know what? Imma make a thread about this. I want a revolution

Reading Jerusalem right now, it's good

why don't you just mock wingnuts when they get kicked up into a fit instead?

Liked watchmen. Jerusalem is one of the 5 physical books I brought with me to College. will probably get around to it once I finish The Recognitions (other 3 are Meme Trilogy)

Currently reading Watchmen and I think it's great. Anyone read From Hell? Thinking of trying that next.

Ultimately one of the worst things to happen to comics. At least the superhero genre. Though he has written a few apologies for the hot watery shit he took all over the genre. He also doesn't seem capable of creating anything original.

Moore... easy on the drugs.

Holy fuck you are a walking meme

Dry your fucking eyes mate. Anything in the genre with any artistic merit can trace itself back to Moore (and the rest of that generation of British writers coming out of 2000AD, but especially Moore).

>implying capeshit has value

One of those people who I love as a person but never cared for their works, prefer to listen to him talk about magik and glycon and stuff

Same with Jodorowsky for me, love that man, don't care for his films

"A Passion Play" has a better story and it even has a sub-narrative. "The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles".

Lot of myths surrounding Rasputin but Hellboy was a pretty good movie.

Literally none of this is true.

Bollocks. Moore's run on Swamp Thing was the first comic from either of the big 2 to defy the Code, broke all sorts of new ground in form and content, that it revolutionized the medium is an objective fact.

He hates watchmen now?

it's great :)

He hates everything he made that's been turned into a movie.

>More recently, the V for Vendetta mask of Moore’s anarchist antihero was adopted by both the Occupy and Anonymous movements.

>“Well, how do I feel…” Moore strokes down the errant whiskers on his beard as though they were straying thoughts that must be put in order. “I’m glad that they’ve got it, although – they didn’t get it from the comic, did they? They got it from the film, which I have never seen and which, from a position of complete ignorance, I am willing to describe as a total rat’s abortion. But I’m glad it’s been of use to these protestors, because generally I really admire what they do.”

Incidentally, while V For Vendetta artist David Lloyd gets kickbacks for every mask sold, Moore disowned his royalties out of principle

Yeah, i knew that. (Lloyd admitted to like the movie). What surprised me was the "don't want to see gibbons anymore" line. I mean, they got back together for 1963

Watchmen has ben spammed and raped. DC Comics even made that Doomsday Clock crossover with all other shit superheroes. If I was Alan Moore I'd place a bomb into DC's main office

American comics and the "superhero genre" have always been watery shit. Moore and the other brits got paid for basically playing around with infantile memes and were all lauded for being geniuses. Then they moved on to doing other things, except Grant Morrison who was always a talent less poseur hack but at least knows a good gig when he sees it.

And meanwhile US "culture" is still stuck in its endless infantile limbo, where some 30 year old comic is controversial and brainless morons await the yearly reboots of Batman.

My male and female power fantasies though! Can you or can you not defeat a cgi robot with your cgi powers? It's epic. Civil War really made me think.

You forgot jack kirby m8

I do think Jerusalem is long, but I never got bored with it. I personally feel there is something special about it that keeps you reading. There is definitely brilliance here, more so than most recent books I can think of. I'm actually really surprised it's spoken about so little on lit.

He does babble on about things but never repeats himself or over uses words and finds such interesting ways of describing things. I think even if the story is boring to some people they would still take enjoyment from his prose and lexicon.

Source?

In fairness, Veeky Forums has some cool threads about graphic novels from time to time when an OP is brave enough to bring it up.

> doesn't care for Jodorowsky films

is your heart made of stone, user?

No, the first big two comic to defy the code would be the Spider-Man drugs issue.

It made the 2016 meme list, and scored pretty highly, so it's not doing too badly.

I have a copy of watchmen comming in the mail today, what should I expect?

Rape.

>except Grant Morrison who was always a talent less poseur hack but at least knows a good gig when he sees it.
rude desu
The ending of Doom Patrol is very touching.

If you've seen the movie, it's pretty much like it, even if I'd say that in the comic the atmosphere is more dark and apocalyptic. If you haven't seen the movie, you've probably heard it all already. However, here's a quick primer: you're about to get into a grim post-modern novel (yeah, graphic novel) who exposes to the extreme consequences the fact that even superheroes are men. They're paranoic, perverted, weak, have sexual issues, can only get a hard on when they're wearing their costume. They're violent and fucked up, they work for money and help to create empires just to watch them fall later. Rorschach is my favorite literary carachter of all time (not because I agree with him, but I find him fascinating). In Watchmen superheroes like Dr.Manhattan are gods. But what happens when gods not only walk on earth, but also work for the government? It's Doomsday, and in Watchmen the end feels really near.

subtler than most