Why is slow cooked food so comfy? I love just watching the food simmer for hours and smelling the scent. Also...

Why is slow cooked food so comfy? I love just watching the food simmer for hours and smelling the scent. Also, slow cooking general I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_stew
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nothing better than setting a nice fragrant curry in the morning and heading off to work.
Come home and smell the aroma all through the house

When you smell something cooking for hours it never tastes as good as when the aroma just shows up right when you are about to eat it. It's like your senses get tired of it before it's done.

I still love slow cooked food and braised anything.

My favorite (slow cooked) comfort foods are generally soups and sauces ... like chili, and spaghetti sauce. I let them gently simmer on the stove stop for hours. Next to that it's old fashioned chicken and dumplings, beef stew, and potato soup. It's the warmth that makes it most comfy to me.

Gimme some good slow cooking food senpai

Basically what this is saying famalam. Things like soups, stews, and chillis are the best. Also things like ribs can be smoked or slow cooked for hours. My dad used to make ribs in a slow cooker that were so tender after being cooked for 8 or 10 hours.

I simmered a 1kg gammon joint in a pot full of apple juice for about 3.5 hours a few days ago. Threw some red onion in during the last half hour (cut into quarters) and served with carrots and roast potatoes.

It's even better when you've made a big pot of chili or gumbo or jambalaya, and then you dig into it on the second day, after the spices and chilis have really had time to soak into every bite.

>gammon joint

Is this some kind of britstanian nursery babble food term??

I believe in america you would call it a "BIG MEAT"

It's a ham shank, numbnuts.

what the fuck is going on I thought this board hated slow cooking

Slow cooking done right is delicious. It involves searing meat beforehand, adding ingredients at various stages, and building flavors.

Simply throwing a bunch of random shit in the crockpot doesn't have the same effect and ends up with everything tasting like mush, which is what the board hates.

Prepping stew for tommorow. Gonna be top tier

Just throwing everything into a pot and letting it simmer for hours can still end up tasting pretty good though, as long as you have enough aromatics/salt/acidity/etc.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_stew

Yeah it can be pretty great.

Slow cooking a lamb tagine right now. In hour 7 of 8. Finished off a nice 8th of hash and now salivating.

>tagine
>hash
Are you literally from Morocco? Or just trying to get the full experience?

kek, this

>Also, slow cooking general I guess.
you almost made a good thread

I just did it because it seems the norm now. Every time someone seems to have a question on here they seem to just turn it into a [insert here] general.

Don't leave the house with the stove on you retard

I jsut made some chili (simmer time 4 hours), can't wait to it eat it tomorrow.
I fucked a bit tho and burnt a bit at the end, lost maybe one portion of food that way :(.

What do you shimmer exactly? Like beans and all or just the meat and tomato?

Serious question:
Why does meat get destroyed if cooked too long in the pan, but somehow gets tender and lovely if slowcooked for hours (and seemingly even more tender the longer it cooks)?

post curry recipe

I use a slow cooker on low.
Who the fuck would leave a stove on unattended?

made chili new year's day. my house still smells like chili when i walk in.

Probably because when cooked in a pan it's higher and drier heat than slow cooking where there's lots of moisture cooking the meat and it's a low temperature so it's hard to really burn.