Home-made Burger thread

Sup, Veeky Forums? I'm struggling to find a way to make my burgers stick. It still comes out tasty as fuck but it falls apart a lot that it almost looks like a sloppy Joe.

What can I do? Do I need to work the meat and compress it more? What are some of your favorite burger recipes?

Give us some details. What's the percentage of meat to fat? What are you putting in the ground? Is it course ground or fine ground? What are you cooking it to? High temp cooking or low temp?

Just some basic details.

this. an 80/20 burger, ground normally, with some salt added, should have no problem holding together. one other factor is how are you cooking it? on a grill or pan?

my worry is you're adding a bunch of extra shit thinking it's going to make the mix stickier when actually it just gets a bunch of water and uncooked starch in between the proteins making it crumbly.

Does it fall apart when you go to flip it? Your pan might not be hot enough if that's the case, a properly heated pan will almost be nonstick.

Coarse grounding. Not sure about the percentage but I've tried several different times. I try searing it a little on a regular pan and then switch to a grill pan. I sear it at fairly high tempature and grill it on a lower temp.

Playing around with the ingredients but I use some BBQ sauce, a little bit of mustard and ketchup, salt pepper and an egg.

That might be a factor. It's just that a while ago I made it the same way and it didn't fall apart so I'm trying to put my hand on what went wrong the last few times. Maybe I am over-doing it with the extra shit.

At what temperature am I supposed to grill it?

>At what temperature am I supposed to grill it?
Depends on the thickness but I think 400F is about right

Anyone tried making an egg like that? I would probably just roll it up after smearing it on the griddle. might be good

You are most definitely over doing it with the extra shit, save that for a meatloaf. Good meat, pressed into patty and some salt and pepper sear on high heat.

apart from way too much dressing, looks good

It's not too uncommon to break the yolks for fried eggs, but I wouldn't cook it that long. It looked like the eggs were done after about 20 seconds

Listen to I like extra shit on my burger but if it's giving you trouble there's nothing wrong with starting simple.

use cold 80/20 meat

i use glue myself

I buy hamburger in those 5lbs size tubes. I put it in the freezer for an hour or so, until it is easy to slice without mushing and isn't frozen hard. I slice off the thicknesses I want for burgers and put those in the freezer for later. I end up with 15-20 burgers (4 to 5.3oz each) depending on thickness. I grab one out of the freezer and plop on the hot skillet, cover, season, flip, repeat until done. They never fall apart, I never need to form them.

Why not just use the whole tube for one burger

Mix the ground beef with minced, roasted mushroom and fried onions and transglutaminase/casein, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Trust me on this.

When exactly is it falling apart on you?

My life.

use egg to bind it together?

wouldn't that be a sausage

second this, i add egg to the meat mixture to bind it together.