Steak Night

Who /steaknight/ here?

the color and marbling looks good but the lack of intermuscular fat makes it looks like some fake meat glue shit or something
what cut is it supposed to be?

dude what

>marbling looks good
>but the lack of intermuscular fat

It's NY Strip. What do you mean by the lack of fat? Its well marbled.

Nice. Now the cross-section where everyone will shit on your personal taste.

He means the fat held between muscles. That's important too in a good steak. You have trimmed steaks, which are one piece of muscle, no bone, no intermuscular fat.
I'm sure your steaks taste good, but they fucked up at the butcher.

Took it out of the oven too early. More rare than I usually like, but still delicious. I don't usually cook steaks this thick.
Eh, I don't mind not paying for a fat cap at USDA Prime prices.

butcher here, that's definitely NOT NY strip. It's boneless short rib from the chuck. Good meat for the chuck price though.

My butcher told me it was strip. Should I ask him next time I'm there?

correct

>he thinks bone in a steak affects the flavor

It affects the moisture of the steak, just like bone in chicken does, dumbass.

Every fucking night its like talking to people who have cooked 3 meals. You know nothing about food.

Look up what the prefix inter means

You're an idiot. Of course bone affects the flavor. Have you never made stock? Or eaten bone marrow? Do you even understand what heat does to food? Fucking moron......

This entire site lives in a trailer. I'm convinced now. Poverty food, poverty ideas, poverty lives.

Yes, because he lied to you. Those are definitely what said. Good stuff, but you shouldn't be told it's something else.

kys

make way, sous vide porterhouse coming through

helped if i included a pic

it's not ny strip, that's sirloin strip. it has better grain than my pic and it's had the silver skin trimmed off but I get identical looking meat often

bullshit you're a butcher if you can't even identify sirloin strip steak. looks like every package of sirloin strip I've gotten at stop & shop

sirloin strip. not NY strip

retard

retard

That is definitely flap meat, and you should fucking kill yourself for thinking it's even close to boneless short ribs.

retard

You dumb fucking cunt.

Have another, dumb fucking cunt.

bingo. boneless short ribs will also hold shape and be more firm, flap meat will be soft. As you can see in OP's finished product picture they are able to slice easily. But who would know better, a butcher for a decade or some dickhead who gets his meat from stop n shop?

It's almost as if most people in the world are poor

they look similar, sure, but your retardation still proves true. Short rip is a tough cut and is not cooked quickly like a "Steak". Additionally, the butcher referred to it as a "strip steak", of which there is NY strip, or sirloin strip that I'm aware of. I am unable to find pictures on google that show the same level of grain I have purchased at my supermarket, but I assure you that I have gotten sirloin strip identical to OPs picture, and that you are retarded

Bone does not affect the flavor of the steak. Look it up before being as overtly retarded as possible

then cook your fucking stupid shit they way you want to. The rest of us don't need to listen to an asshole like you.

>but I assure you
Yeah, NO, fuck off. Also, you've never cooked short ribs before. Dumbfuck.

"I have nothing to support my argument but you're still wrong." lol, what a moron.

Stop falling for food memes that have been around for ages just because they've been around for ages. There is a fuckton of pseudoscience in cooking, because cooking is far older than science has been in the mainstream. Leaving a bone in a steak and cooking it does not affect the flavor any more than it would cooking the bone in a separate pan next to the meat.

>Look it up
What? Did the conspiracy theorists start an "alternative fact" cooking site?

my mom made fillet steaks tonight and they were great :)

Asshole, I actually cook food. I don't listen to even the smartest people here. You're all fucking stupid.

Bone in increases flavour and moisture. If you haven't learned that through doing, You fucking dullard fuck up.

Don't repeat what other fucking idiots say, try it yourself.

I don't know what to tell you besides the fact that you're retarded. I suggest you go to a stop & shop in massachusetts and check out their meat cooler, where the realization of your retardation will wash over you like a cool retarded breeze

Yeah because a fucking stop & shop is the go to source for beef cut knowledge. Funny that you say its a sirloin strip when there is in fact no such thing as a sirloin strip steak.

I'm sure there's regionality to the names of cuts of steak but you're literally retarded

It's not a "food meme that's been around for ages". It's fact. You're a fucking faggot. That is also a fact. Boneless meat is the "meme" here. Use what little brain you have and ask yourself these questions:
1. How long has raw, boneless meat been available for purchase to the general public?
2. Why do you think companies encourage people to buy boneless meat?

Shocker, only a new englander would be too retarded to know that "strip" and "tip" are two different words.

OP's meat is boneless short rib and is good stuff when prepared correctly.

>I only trust my own experience which are influence be preconceived biases, no matter what evidence is presented to me
Yeah, it's everyone else that's "fucking stupid"
You would know that is not the case if you... looked it up.

Yeah, and guess what, there is NO strip portion of a sirloin. Top, bottom, tip. Enjoy being an idiot though.

It's almost as if you aren't looking it up for yourself and are assuming you're correct for no reason

OP here, so does anyone know for sure what I paid $22.99/lb for?

>stop & shop

Dickhead, I have a mouth that can taste. You're just some fucking trolling idiot that likes the attention on Veeky Forums.

Just fucking stop it, stop being a fucking child who is dying inside. Something is going wrong in your life, that's clear, but I can't help you with that. I can tell you that a spatchcock chicken is more juicy than chicken breasts.

I know you're too screwed up to be sane but hey, I love listening to your dipshittery.

Did the package say prime? That's the only way I could see charging $23 a pound for chuck, and even then it seems high.

I'm assuming I'm correct because I know I'm correct. You can carry on being a stupid faggot, but you're wrong, and everyone else knows it too.

pinch her on the behind for me

Yes, it said USDA Prime and this is NYC so everything is expensive.

Everyone else knows you're the fucking idiot, dude. You need to come to terms.

Then yeah it was boneless short ribs. It really is an underrated cut. That and the chuck eye steak. I'm sure it tasted great either way right?

Everyone else is disagreeing with YOU, fucknutter.
You the single retarded penguin that no one wants to share an egg with.

hahah, I actually got on the wrong track. My apologies. I failed to follow the thread. Booze..

SSSSSSSHHHHHHH! Don't give away the uckchay eye-yay(?lol)

Oops, well then, we're all good.

Calm down, bud. I'm talking about steak, not a whole chicken. I know facing the possibility that you're wrong is putting you on edge, but if you embrace it and find out for yourself, you'll probably benefit from it.

Cooking a steak with a bone in or out does not make a difference. I'm basing this on research, it's not some random thought that crossed my mind that I decided to go with.

shit sorry. chuck eye is bad. might as well make an eye of round steak LOOOOOOOL

Yes it was delicious, just peeved about the dishonesty from my butcher. He's been great to me in every other way. Whenever I buy a Cowboy from him he cuts off all that obnoxious extra bone and I don't have to pay for it.

>research
Sure buddy.

I've made rib steak, ribeye, and t-bone. You're just totally wrong.

Hopefully just an honest mistake, usually the NY strip will have a nice piece of fat running along the top.

You think crown roast is made for fun? Tomahawk steaks? You really don't know much about food, I assume.

Steak night for my bf again. My body is intolerant to red meat but he scarfs it down like no other

I don’t know if you’re supposed to carve steak completely, but he likes getting it on the plate like this.

>take 5 seconds to google something
>vehemently disagree based solely on one's subjective experience
it's weird that people who choose the latter are usually the first people to call out "stupidity"

That's right. You can't save any money buying these and they certainly will disappoint now matter how you cook it

This is fine as long as the meat is rested after cooking to allow the juices to redistribute through the meat.

try hard next time cunt
0/10

You should never, I repeat, NEVER buy one of these chuck eyes and try to sear it in a cast iron skillet

What’s wrong with it if you don’t mind me asking?

He's just trolling because he was proven wrong about the whole sirloin strip not existing thing.

Just don't do it guys. I know it looks like a decent steak but it'll let you down every time. Seriously, FUCK chuck eyes. I hate em

What about braised?

You'll get diarrhea. EVERY TIME

>believing everything you read on the internet with no personal experience or the experience of working with professionals
Yeah, you're a dumb fucknut.

That looks about perfect to me. Good job.

I do love some boneless short ribs though.

>not combining both
I never said I haven't cooked a fucking steak lol, even people that don't cook cook steaks

nice. don't listen to the haters. i trim my steaks too. personally don't care for the fat strip on this cut.

>"the bone makes a difference!"
>the marrow is going to magically penetrate several inches of flesh

Idiot.

Shut the fuck up you retard

>even people that don't cook cook steaks
poorly

true, I don't fall in the "people that don't cook" category though, was just pointing out that it was ridiculous to assume I hopped in on a steak discussion thread without having any experience cooking a steak of all things

Came here to post this.

Oh, my...

I made some beef short ribs (with bone, so they looked different than this) recently in my sous vide tank. Let them cook for a long time--I think it was around 12 hours. Went in well before I left for work, and I took them out to sear well after I got home. Some of the best meat I ever cooked. Just fell off the bone, used a fork to cut it. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder, and just a very light bit of barbecue sauce. Definitely doing that again... lol

Why do USA steaks always look such a deep red compared to say my UK steaks.

Cause you pale as fuck UK faggots put the P in pasty?

Probably carbon monoxide, keeps it looking redder for longer

Because amerilards color every food and put additives in literaly everything.
Everything is fake in the us to some extend, mostly the people tho.

Wow look at that marbling, why would anyone ever buy Wagyu or Kobe Bryant beef?

because they're dumbfuck normies who think that they deserve the highest price option, and were sold on that idea. i have relatives and parents who are like this...they are entitled boomer type idiots who expect the best but then complain on price and don't know how to budget.

Sirloin strip is a somewhat common term in some parts of the US. It is what some other places would call a coulotte steak (or a picanha/rump cap in Brazil).

Thus the cut would be from the top sirloin (of course). The marbling is typically very high (my picture is not the highest grade it could be; but gives a representative marbling) and its versatility as a cut is great.

That being said, I think the original picture does look a bit like a boneless short rib based on the marbling and the texture of the beef. It could be a loose muscle or a misrepresentative sample, but it does also look like a chuck cut to me.

Rib-eye. One is sous-vide and the other is without. Both at 56c internal temp. Can you tell which is which?

What cuts of beef are the most flavorful to eat? Thanks in advance