So, in the eyes of you elitist memers, how accurate are Pixar's "rules"?

So, in the eyes of you elitist memers, how accurate are Pixar's "rules"?

I don't care enough to read it

Pixar is responsible for some of the greatest films of all time.

But they make mass appeal animated films for children, which is a fundamentally different process than attempting to write something with literary merit, or for that matter, an art house film.

most writers could use more of this stuff, desu.

Judging from crit threads, the problem isn't too many rules, but too few.

I think they're pretty good. Like learning the basics of drawing. Someday you can cast them aside, but you have to learn them solidly first....

empty words, I'll never act on them

but you cared enough to solve a captcha to tell us this.

> interesting, very interesting... probably your mother.

>Pixar is responsible for some of the greatest films of all time.

Ain't got jack-shit on Ghibli.

Fucking terrible. Disgusting reductionism.

They've done nothing interesting since The Incredibles.

The Incredibles is up there with some of their best though. Ghibli is better, but there are times when Pixar comes close.

>keep in mind what's interesting as an audience, not what's fun as a writer

Into the trash it goes

Kinda true tho

James... Easy on the Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

Pixar has a very generic and manipulative formula for their movies. But you basically have to shoot for a 100 IQ audience or lower when movies are that expensive to produce or you won't make your money back.

Counterpoint: Cars 3

Underrated

>But they make mass appeal animated films for children
Yeah, it seems like that is all this list is good for.

There are some basic and valid points applicable to writing any story, user.

Irrelevant since Pixar is going downhill lately.

See:

I don't think the same Pixar exists as when they wrote it.

I think going with your fifth brainstorming idea for any given thing at any moment is pretty sage overall. But I also think following this rule to a T develops a lack of confidence in the wellspring of creativity or whatever you want to call it. Maybe the first was gold all along. It's definitely not always gold, or even mostly, which is why I really dig it as a rule.

I think its supposed to mean that maybe your intended first idea isnt the one to go with if it doesn't work.

I can relate. Spend ages trying to rewrite something in a particular way to find out that scrapping it (painfully) also works.

Ghibli has excellent plots, mechanics, and characterization (for the most part). I suppose it's appropriate for the culture, but I find that there's a bit too much dramatic fist clenching and over the top interactions, pseudo-drama.

Real life isn't anime. You can call it the style, but what it comes down to is a fundamental ignorance of how people actually interact. The best fiction, sci-fi, and fantasy writers have realistic people in unrealistic settings. Studio Ghibli gives us cringe worthy people at the outset.

>I will reiterate that they do a good job with characterization, that is, fleshing out the humanity of said cringeworthy character.

wew

This isn't bad advice by any means, but it's all slightly irrelevant if you don't have any technical skill as a writer. If your prose or cinematic equivalent of prose is garbage, then you don't know how to properly describe the situations you've designed and all the work you put into narrative arcs and stakes and characters is wasted. Pixar only works because they have dozens and dozens of the top animators and directors in the world who can render their story in a coherent and beautiful succession of images. If Finding Nemo was a Microsoft Paint comic, nobody would enjoy it

People in Veeky Forums's critique threads often want to go straight to the story without doing any work on presentation, even though presentation is half the story in itself