Moka Pot tips?

My wife got me a Moka pot for christmas. And I was wondering if ck has any experience with them.

The manufacturers instructions say cold water, and online resources are saying boiled water. Which is best? Boiled water was a lot easier because I didnt have to wait for it to boil on the glass stove which is hard to control temperature. Am I missing out on flavour?

So far I like it. The espresso taste is something I crave every time I have drip coffee, so even with the learning curve I enjoyed my first couple of cups with it.

Moka pot master race?

Thats fucking huge. Is that the 9 cup model?
Anyway I use mine with boiled water. After several trials I think using preboiled water will make it less likely for the coffee to taste burnt. Also its quicker.

6 cup. Just a handlet and the angle is flattering for the size.
Thanks man

Low heat and cold water makes smoother tasting coffee even though it takes longer
Boiling water and high heat taste more burnt imo
Also don't twist it too tight or it'll whistle like Thomas the dank engine

If it's brand new then you should do a few "dry runs" with little to no coffee to get the rubber gasket taste out.

It probably doesn't matter because unless you're making coffee for at least four people then it's unlikely that you're filling the filter with coffee grinds to make a puck. So you wouldn't be getting an ideal extraction and it's going to taste pretty ordinary whether you pre-boil your water or not.

For what it's worth:
>put grinds in filter
>tap base of filter on bench to settle the grinds
>repeat this process until settled grinds have filled the filter to the top
>pre-boil water
>pour water into tank and screw together
>low heat on stove
>"fffssssssss"
>done

Cold water, low heat, good quality of coffee not pressed too much in the moka body

What is he pointing at?

at faggot OP

>espresso taste
You don't get espresso out of a Moka pot, the pressure is too low.

God

you shoudn't press the grinds in the filter and it's better cold water.

here too, fresh ground beans make the difference. i really liked my moka pot and the coffee it produced but upgraded to a cheap "real" espresso machine.

Never heard of anyone using pre-boiled water, I put it on high heat until just before coffee begins to pour out turn it down low so it brews for longer without burning which gets pretty good results. Also be sure to stir it when it's done because a lot of the sediment will settle at the bottom making the last 1/3rd of the pot not as good as the rest

I just bought a Number 1 at Coffee and Factory for my liquid Jew.
IT'S TIME

I use hot water as well. Means you have to keep it on the stove for a significant shorter time. I think this also helps to reduce burning the coffeee.

1. Don't fill the compartment for the ground coffee full up, fill it 70% so there's some 2-3 mm space above it. Some pots will work better this way in pushing up the coffee, and you will also save a bit on coffee for about the same taste.
2. If you want a harder and sharper taste, pour cold water and put the fire on low. Low enough to make the process gradual and prolonged but not too low that the water can't push upwards.

Why do coffee fags get so triggered when i use instant coffee in a moka pot, it makes the instant coffee taste 100% better than it would just using boiling water. legit ground coffee does taste better. But not enough for the price difference.

Also can i use less coffee if i want a less strong coffee or does that ruin the brewing process?

Coffee fag here, I don't really care. When did you see this happening, Veeky Forums? People will get mad at literally anything on Veeky Forums

People get mad at literally anything in real life as well.
I think we need a war or something. Our species can't function properly without a war or few every now and then.

lol

Because it's going to get you fucking killed. Stop.

Yeah and aids is gonna kill you if you keep getting fucked in the ass by random strsngers

I have the same moka pot for two years now. Ive tried various types of strengths initially I thought stronger coffee would better but it tastes burnt in comparison to using a cafetiere. I recommend kenyan coffee, go to a local coffee store and ask for varieties of SL -28 and SL-34. Its blackcurrant acidic like and it doesn't turn bitter like most.
But using the moka pot with cold water stops its boiling over so quickly and not turning your coffee bitter as hell.

cold water

This thing was invented because espresso machines were too expensive for the average home, but not everyone wanted to go out for coffee in Italy. The character on the pot is a caricature of a typical Italian mid-20th Century father, sending the message that coffee was so easy to make with these things that dad could do it.

No matter what you do the coffee from a moka pot will taste burned compared to espresso. Gaggia's innovation with the espresso maker was using a pump to push water heated below the boiling point through the coffee grounds, so the oils in the coffee did not become cooked. No matter what you do with a moka pot the water will be going through the coffee at the boiling point, because it's the pressure from the water hitting the boiling point that forces it through the coffee (because there is no pump).

But for home coffee, especially in the morning with milk what comes out of a moka pot is just fine. Use fine ground dark or espresso roast coffee. Don't waste the money on super expensive stuff because you're only burning it anyways. Lavazza or even Cafe Bustelo will work fine. I use mine every day.

I usually start with warm filtered water, then bring it to heat on max, and as soon as the coffee starts filling the chamber, reducing the heat to mid/low
seems to work wonders with the right grind, lovely breakfast method
Also seems to be the best way of adding other stuff (cardamoms ect) to the brew

kek

I use preboiled as prolonged exposure (the coffee grounds to hot metal) will burn them and that’s not good.

Another tip: grind your beans semi coarse, a fine grind is too fine and will give you a bitter cup.

pssssh, ignore this anons first sentence he doesn't understand that even if you make to much espresso to drink in one sitting, you cant take the rest and dissolve some sugar into it and that add milk to taste. Bam, some premium coffee milk.

Use a fine grind.
If you have a proper espresso grinder. Set around 75% grind. If not, then grind as fine as possible.

Fill the basket and do NOT pack it.
Some people like to skim off the top, some don't. I skim it off.

Do not use too much heat. Too much heat = bitter coffee. And in a moka pot it's really easy to overheat.
Learn what the bare minimum heat you need to get your pot to brew.
Start with 1/4 setting on your stove top or w.e. you use. Wait a good long while for it to come to heat. If it doesn't brew, increase thee heat about 5% and wait. Keep doing this until you finally get a brew.
Brewing in a moka pot and finding the bare minimum heat you need will get you the best results. Be impatient and overload the heat cuz you can't wait for it to come up to temp = bitter coffee.

Also, never half fill the basket because you don't want that much coffee. You have to fill to capacity every time. If you fill it half way, you'll end up fucking up the brewing cuz the water and coffee will be sloshing around.

Oh. and fill the reservoir to just under the safety valve. You don't want water covering that shit

Good stuff.

I've given up on my moka pot - I could never get it to make nice coffee that didn't taste burnt, and I'm not too big on milky coffee unless its a cappuccino. Will stick to my V60 and coffee machine.

If you coffee is bitter it's because you're either using too much heat or the grind is too fine.

If the coffee doesn't have that espresso like punch, it's because the grind is too coarse

>you shoudn't press the grinds in the filter
That is correct. But why are you telling me this?