Start reading again

>Start reading again
>Read about two novels
>Start on the third, but never finish
>Stop reading for several months
>Start reading again
Does anybody else do this?
Years ago, I started reading Dune and never finished it. Now I want to read it after watching the movie, but I'm having trouble getting distracted. I'm afraid my mind is mush now. I feel retard.

take a break from using the internet socially for a month

you'll be a lot better
and feel a lot better

trust me

I literally do this.

I currently have some steam going from my previous and current book, and with my choices for the next two books, hopefully I'll keep the engine going.

What's been working is trying to focus on the act of reading: the meditative state of looking at words, understanding their meaning, and picturing what's happening or linking together the concepts being talked about. Remember that *that* is what reading is and that it's pretty fun when it's with a book you're into.

No my problem is
>torrent hundreds of books
>be excited to read them all
>can't fucking decide which one to start with
>start reading nine books at once
>torrent more books
Free books have ruined me

>get all hyped about reading at the start of the year
>read like 16 books
>start JR, which I loved
>take 2 months
>onto The Recognitions, which I love even more
>will take even longer due to the multiple-day breaks I take

>after watching the movie

I love Lynch but his movie is shit. Watch the documentary about Jodorovsky's almost-funded Dune film. It would have been one of the greatest films of all time.

Take a walk to the park every morning, don't open go online until after lunch. Will put you in a nice headspace to read/write.

Also, stop posting my waifu. She would pick me over you anyway because I read more.

(not the guy you replied to)
Jodo's Dune is the best documentary I've seen. This guy saying correct things. Close 2nd is Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

>don't open go online

sorry got distracted by my jealous rage

I'm the exact opposite, I hate Lynch but Dune is good to me. I do believe Jodorovsky would have made a fantastic film but I don't think it would have been GOAT status or anything, the vision of a filmmaker is always hampered by the budget and the studio

I read alot more during the summer/autumn than winter, which is kind of a drag because winter is so long here. I read like, half a book last winter and have already banged out three since June

The way I stop myself from getting bored is by reading two very different books at the same time. Like a novel and a book of poetry, or a short story collection and a non fiction book, etc. When one gets boring, I switch to the other, trying to read each at least once a day each.

>He doesn't read on paper

>any book I could want
>in any translation
>in any edition
>instantly
>for free

Why would I not take advantage of that? I prefer paper obviously, but if you read LESS because of an abstract fetish for the physical object of a book then you're a pseudy pseud.

Call me whatever you like you pseud

it's not even about fetishism, if you have less books you'll cherish them and be compelled to read them more

you say that free books are ruining you, then that's why you wouldn't take advantage? perhaps the pecuniary limitations make one treasure the literature they can afford. much like buying a game as a youth, and hating it, but learning it, besting it, and learning to enjoy it. maybe the two experiences are connected somehow.

Okay, you dork.

That semi makes sense but as someone who has to read a wide range of texts for academic research, and also has an interest in a lot of different literature from around the world, it's more beneficial overall to accept ebooks.

Sorry I realize this is a bit confusing, I'm not the guy you were originally replying to.

No. My trouble isn't distraction, but wondering what the point is. Sometimes it all feels like a pointless waste of time.

You're having trouble let watching the movie because the movie's a messy piece of trash

I used to when I was younger. I would start books but never finish them.

You need to get into a rhythm that's accessible and easy for you while also keeping your interest in reading healthy and pleasant. You don't want to force yourself to read 50 pages if you find it exhausting.

Maybe try reading short, easy novels, and gradually tackle longer ones while also upping the daily page amount you read.

That's why if I try to tackle doorstoppers, I make sure I can make time for the multiple day breaks and the month or months it might take me to read it. I only expect to read 5 - 10 books that year if they're all doorstoppers.

Elle Fanning is the kind of girl who belongs in an Austen or Bronte novel

She's also most likely a lesbian