Is this good?

Is this good?

I liked it.

If you're a 17 years old girl and a slut, yeah. You will like it.

fuck no

Only if you like sex
I now I don't

Not really, but women think it is. That information might be of use some day.

Dude cats and vulvas lmao

meh

I memed my 14 years old sister into buying it because i wanted to read it and i thought she wouldn't like it but she actually likes it.

>giving your little sister erotic literature
you are either a cuck or a sister-fucker

insecure prude detected

I didn't know it had erotic scenes when we bought it lol.
>sister fucker
ye I fuk your sister every night

It's for persons fond of intellectual-masturbatory fluff wrapped up in a novel of all places, imagine that. So wondrous, so brilliant. We all want to hear about the sex life of some pampered young handsome wealthy Czech doctor and the author's endless philofagical digressions that are basically a cry to the reader: "Look! Look! I know stuff!"

Yes, fuck the haters. Kundera does some interesting stuff by breaking the fourth wall and acknowledging that his characters are fictional. The whole thing is peppered with nice bits and snippets about music and philosophy and czech history.

>Hurr durr why doesn't this novel contain a detailed critique of Kant's second critique?
Maybe read an actual philosopical paper or book if that's what you are looking for, not a fucking 200 page novel.

I enjoyed it. It's definitely not sublime, but I was pretty happy while reading it.

>haters
back to tumblr with thee

I'm a 18 years old girl and a slut I HATED IT

It's a pretentious piece of shit. Life is elsewhere from the same author is much more emotional and sincere without falling in the shitty post-modern pseudo-philophy memes of TULOB.

If you liked the philosophy parts, the inmortality is much more interesting and coherent.

It isn't bad

Of course there must be some exceptions. Why do you say you're a slut? Also 18 is old.

rofl

One of my least favourite books of all time. It's just a man cheating on a woman and nothing else

Oh hi there.

Google didn't bring me any results for philofagical. Care to explain yourself?

>Life is elsewhere from the same author is much more emotional and sincere without falling in the shitty post-modern pseudo-philophy memes of TULOB.
I just finished Life is Elsewhere and while I agree, there's still some post-modern pseudo-philosophy in it. I kind of like that though.

I think all of Kundera's books are basically about the same thing. All the characters are unfaithful to one another and not very likeable. It's pretty pessimistic about human relationships, really, because it seems to take the view that men and women fundamentally don't understand each other and don't really want to (which I think is pretty accurate). All the men in Life is Elsewhere are obsessed with poetry, art, and idealism about how life "should" be, and are desperate to communicate this to the women, who don't get it and are interested chiefly in the men for what they represent. Even the poet's mother prizes his earliest childhood poems the most, because they remind her that he is her son and dependent on her. It's funny in a way that Kundera is so popular with women, because his themes are not far from /r9k/ fuel. It's just that the men come across just as poorly and selfishly as the women. Everyone is awful to everyone else in the name of some lofty principle, be it love or art.

>post-modern pseudo-philophy
what's postmodern about it?

Well, I mean the fourth-wall-breaking gimmicks where Kundera breaks off to address the reader directly and muse about life.

>Just as your life is determined by the kind of profession and marriage you have chosen, so our novel is lmited by our observatory perspective: Jaromil and his mother are in full view, while we glimpse other figures only when they appear in the presence of these two protagonists. We have chosen this approach as you have chosen your fate, and our choice is equally unalterable.
>Still, every person regrets that he cannot live other lives. You, too, would like to live out all your unrealised potentials, all your possible lives. Our book is like you. It, too, yearns to be all the other novels it could have been.

The Wittgenstein one isn't entirely true. He did wanted to be an engineer, but he chose philosophy over it when he met Russell.

>a book is bad because it works with (post-)modern techniques

c'mon, i thought this isn't /pol/

The only book so far I haven't read to the end. I really hated it but it's been a couple years, I couldn't explain why.

Light pseud philosophy (spotty use of eternal recurrence) but I enjoyed the story and the film with Daniel-day lewis is really good.

So, should I buy it or not? If a girl sees me reading it, will she become my gf?

Veeky Forums is infested with traditionalists who are convinced that post modernism is a jewish conspiracy promote degeneracy. Wether they frequent /pol/ or not is irrelevant.

Pretty acurate. Personally I prefer his short stories. Laughable Loves was a good read. In general, MK is entertaining and at times insighthful, but hardly a master.