What order do you guys put your toppings on the pizza?

What order do you guys put your toppings on the pizza?

I have been putting sauce down first then a layer of diced ham, a few other indredients then cheese over the top and finally olive and decorative things on top, not sure if this is sogging up the pizza or not.

pic related : my shitty prep work, cold fermented dough for 3 days.

imo desu you should pre cook your veggies before putting them on the pizza

the water that leaks out of them as they cook does soggy up a pizza

pre-cook all the capsicum and tomato and olives and japalenos and shit ? Then drain them and put them on? i haven't seen that done before but it sounds interesting

i'm not op, but i thank you for this advice.

I put the sauce, half the cheese, toppings then the rest of the cheese.
If I'm using wet toppings I pat them dry between paper towels before I put them on.

yes, roast or saute the things that leak out a lot of water, especially mushrooms, especially if you're putting a lot of toppings on.

This is just my experience though so do as your taste dictates.

i do it with the mushrooms for sure, because i saute them with garlic in the oil left over from cooking the bacon, i hadn't considered the tomato and capsicum though. Usually i try to steal recipe ideas from the awesome pizza shop who won't deliver to my house

I don't want to hijack thread but do you make dough from scratch or buy the dough already made at store?

i make it from scratch.

4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups water
7g yeast
1/4 cup oil
Pinch of caster sugar
1 tsp salt.

put the water and sugar in a bowl, stir til combined, add the yeast, stir , leave outside or in warm place until it foams up.

sift flour and salt

add the water / yeast mix, add oil, combine and knead the hell out of it then put it in an oiled bowl covered in plastic wrap in the fridge to cold ferment for 2-3 days.

Much tastier dough

interesting, what if I want thin crust? Could I cut out the yeast?

can't you just make thinner crusts by using less dough?

i know dominos thin crust is pretty much a processed cracker

correct order:

dough
thin layer of sauce
cheese
toppings

you put the toppings on the cheese to prevent cheese from "ripping of" if you take a bite.

and you can always put a little cheese on top of the toppings

Always
>Base
>Sauce/oil
>1/2 cheese
>Meats, from largest to smallest
>Veggies and fruits
>Rest of cheese

Depending on how much cheese you use that could just end in all of your toppings following your cheese.

the argument here is that the escaping moisture from the meats and veg is trapped under the cheese making your base soggy.

Definitely a good idea for some but not all veggies. I wouldn't bother sweating the red onion for example.
Obviously you've got to regulate how much liquidy stuff goes on your pizza but that doesn't mean you have to pre cook every veggie.

we can't get monterey jack cheese in australia either. apparently havati or gouda is a substitute but those are fucking expensive.

I looked up how much cheese to put on a pizza and most places say 8oz (240g) and the standard block of gouda comes in 200g for like $7.....

FUCK

if you want to make crackers thats a good recipe (maybe)

canonical proportions for neapolitan pizza dough are 1 litre of water per 1.7kg of flour, that's for a pizza that will bake between 700c to 900c.
for homemade pizza, with ovens between 250c and 400c, I'd recommend an highly hydrated dough (70 to 80% of water) with 24 to 72 hours fermentation, depending on the strenght (W)
sugar is absolutely not necessary, oil is used just to give a golden brown color when oven temp is low, salt quantity depends on your toppings (neapolitan has 40-50g for 1 litre of water, for home I'd recommend 20g )

>sugar is absolutely not necessary

doesn't the yeast need that to ferment?

no, it doesnt need sugar, there's already enough carbohydrates in the flour.

good point!

you got a full recipe for the oven bake dough 250c?

yes
I usually start with the poolish,or you can just add the yeast at the end, before adding salt

1kg flour, better if 350W 00, if you have weaker flour mix it with 30% of semolina or manitoba flour
75g of water
olive oil
between 20 and 50 grams of salt, depending on your taste and toppings, this shoud be the last ingredient added in the dough

now, difficulty with high hydration is developing a proper glutinical structure (what we call "maglia glutinica"), ie when the dough becomes stretchy and doesnt stick to the hands. First mix poolish, flour and olive oil, drop in 50% of water, knead, then drop in the remaining water little by little, to make the flour absorb it, finally add (yeast if you didnt use poolish and) salt.
knead for 10 to 20 minutes. If the dough doesnt have the right consistency let it rest (better if in fridge), come back and fold it (what we call "pieghe"), repeat 2-3 times, until you get a firm stretchy dough that wont stick.
let it rest for an hour, then put it in the fridge (covered) for 24/48hrs. Take out of the fridge, get the dough to room temperature, then form your balls and let them rest.

I use one of these carbon steel trays properly seasoned and lightly oiled, quantity of dough to preference, however canonical is weight(g)=surface(cm^2)/2
eg for a 30x40 sheet it's 600g of dough
preheat you oven, static with both top and bottom resistance, stretch the dough, lay it on the sheet pan, moisten the surface with some tomato sauce and put it in the bottom of your oven at 250c for 10 minutes. Take it out, top it with tomato sauce, mozzarella and your toppings (depends on what you have, if the toppings are delicate, eg ham, fresh tomatoes, put them on later), then back in the over as near as possible to the top resistance, cook for 5-7 minutes or to preferred coloring.

If you have a gas oven same applies, just turn on the top resistance for the 2nd phase

>mfw Americans put chicken on pizza

>mfw americans invented pizza

I use Red Leicester, its a lot more oily then jack unfortunately

I don't like pizza enough to make it myself