What is Veeky Forumss opinion on deckle edged books?

What is Veeky Forumss opinion on deckle edged books?

Just got this beautiful son of a bitch and it feels really good

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remaindered_book
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

dislike, it's a distraction and i don't understand the appeal
are they trying to make the book appear less mass-produced then it is?

Some spergs on this board complain about how they can't grip the pages well or something. I don't have an issue with it besides it being completely unnecessary.

I don't like it. I like clean, smooth edges.

Not OP but I like how it feels in my hands, I like running the pages through my fingers.
I'd rather have totally uncut pages desu. I enjoy "interacting" with the book like that

I have no strong opinions one way or the other. If a book was printed in the last 50 years (and when I say "printed", I mean "that specific copy of the book was printed in the last 50 years), then the deckle edge was probably monitored enough not to be annoying to the reader. Hence, it makes no effect one way or the other to the actual reading process.

I'll get whatever is cheap, in good condition, and has the best extraneous material (if I even want extraneous material). Deckle edge plays no role.

I once got a book with uncut pages. It was an old copy of Merleau-Ponty's Phénoménologie de la Perception, quite apt.

ive genuinely never seen this version of GR but i dig it

Deckle edged books don't do anything for me. It really doesnt matter as long as the paper is quality enough. While we're talking about this though, is there any reason why some hardcovers have a black dot on their textblocks? Something to do with printing process maybe?

If the world was a just place imprints that did this would be disbanded and all its employees sent to gulags.

It makes scanning through pages with your thumb way more difficult than it needs to be, which is an especially horrible design for books that have notes or a glossary at the end.

i only assume it's the retailer marking them for clearance or sales etc due to some slight damage or defect in the book.

Oh shit you're right. I could never google the correct thing to find what I needed. Always bothered me, thanks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remaindered_book

I fucking love them tbqh with you boys

They're nice but I fucking hate penguin making all their books look so similar for the sake of marketing their brand. cunts

For the right book, it can be a benefit (generally hardcover genre fiction).

Most of the time it's done poorly or for the wrong reasons (replicating "old" books, low quality paper, ridges are too deep, etc).

Im not strongly opinionated but I find it hard to flip the pages with my thumb sometimes.

I like the deckle edges on my 50th anniversary master and margarita because it fits the books history.

I don't like them. I don't have a problem turning the pages, but as mentioned earlier they make skimming through a book difficult. I avoid the "deluxe" Penguin editions because of this, and just buy the normal editions.

i hate them, they're inauthentic and make it more difficult to flip through pages

Dumb shit. Gets dirty and the page edges fray. I take care of my books myself, but whenever I get a used one with that kind of edge, I always wish that wasn't the case.

I have over hunder years old book and the pages are like that in it, due use and age. That is the appeal I guess.

It's garbage for readability I hate it

deckle edges were designed to help make reading big books easier (I know this because I got my first deckle edge when I was an idiot and thought it was a manufacturing issue and the cashier had to explain to me what it was for), of course, there's also an aesthetic appeal, especially if the paper is heavy and rough.

I do like it, but I don't need it.

>deckle edges were designed to help make reading big books easier
Wait, what? I thought it was just trying to mimic the old style of books where the pages had to be cut by hand rather than machine.

depends I guess on which kind of deckle. The stacked kind (where the pages are slightly different sizes) are, at the very least.

I have a 270 year old book and it's not like that.

I'm sorry user but wikipedia disagrees.

Makes me wish I had a guillotine to clean the edges.

you think people would do that? just lie to me?

Makes it hard to flip to the right pages, stupid. Looks ok on hardcovers but the Deckle edge paperbacks I have on Kafka's novels are fucking retarded