I really enjoyed pic related, I've read it twice. Really comfy read. But it's not very challenging...

I really enjoyed pic related, I've read it twice. Really comfy read. But it's not very challenging. Can anyone rec authors/titles that are more advanced, but that are similar to catcher in the rye?
Also general Salinger discussion thread I guess.

what features did you like especially? Similar to 'Catcher in the rye' is quite vague.
Maybe you like Beat literature in general?

>But it's not very challenging.
I bet you did not realise that he was raping Phoebe by yourself

Might be a stretch, but how about Norwegian Wood?

just about all salinger is interesting to read. a lot of people enjoy franny and zooey. if you are looking for something honest and easy to read, try (and please dont give me shit) some murakami. wild sheep chase and kafka on the shore are both easy and sincere.

now these books arent the most enlightening, but i would surprised to hear someone didnt find them fun to read.

did you even read the post?

I've heard comfy things about mirukami. Any tiles you'd recommend?

I enjoyed the tone of writing. It was a bit depressing which I liked. Salinger writes dialogue really well, he's very good at making characters and painting pictures without excessive imagery. The subject matter was also nice, I liked the aimlessness of Holden's experience.

Isn't that just a hypothesis? I definitely suspected he had some repressed sexual attachment to pheobe while I was reading it, but even after reading all the arguments it seemed a little flimsy.

Read John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. I can't really remember how "challenging" it is really. Probably not that challenging at all. But it's just as comfy as Catcher in the Rye in my opinion. Also read Salinger's other work if you haven't already. I think they offer deeper character studies which may be a little more "advanced."

it's a meme

maybe you enjoy Kerouac

I find Hemingway pretty comfy and non-challenging. The same angsty teenage me that liked Salinger also liked Hemingway at least. Still do really. For being comfy.

Can't understand why someone ended up killing john lennon after reading this book
It's so innocent in a way

what's that pic?

Pic related. It's me.

the lady or the goy?

I read until 20 pages from the end but never finished

never really felt like i needed too...

was pretty cool anyway, though

Seriously, what a dip.

What's with all the shit taste ITT?
OP check out Hamsun's Hunger, Anderson's Winesberg Ohio, Calvino's Baron in the Trees, and also Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Didn't mean to reply but eh why not

"Hurrr huuurrr i am a turbotard, u hav shit tase duuurrrr" -OP probably

Stoner by Williams, OP.

>Norwegian Wood
Given that OP wants mildly depressing, it is an astute stretch.

I've heard Kafka On The Shore and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles are his best.

On The Road maybe.

It is comfy, in particular once you realise that all of his novels always contains the same themes and elements. I'd recommend Hard Boiled Wonderland and the end of the world and The Wind-up bird chronicle to start.

Not op. Saw that Joyce book in the librsry the other day. Is it a hard read? All i know about joyce is that FW is really hard. Will i understand Portait of a yaddayadda if i just pick it up and read?

Dubliners would probably be a better introduction to joyce, it's certainly 'easier' to read anyway.