How do you decide what to get at a store?

How do you decide what to get at a store?

Store? My dino tendies magically appear in my freezer every week.

Staples first: pasta, rice, potatoes, breads and buns, any spices I'm running low on.

Veggies next: fresh vegetables for whatever I feel like cooking in the next few days, canned veggies for soups or lazy cooking

Meats next: chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, whatever I'm low on.

Convenience foods/ snacks last: chips, canned soups, frozen pizzas and burritos.

Check their weekly circular for sales.
Making a list before going in helps.
Have some recipe ideas to make based on what's on sale.

I go to different stores at different times for different things.

Every few months:
> Cash n Carry
Big containers of spices/herbs, cooking oil, things like dried mushrooms or sundried tomatoes, big jars of artichoke hearts, big bags of frozen peas/corn, etc.

> Natural Grocers
Fancy hipster snack foods out of curiosity

> Amazon
Specialty ingredients I use for cooking/baking, like iota/kappa carrageenan, lactic acid, yogurt cultures, beetroot powder

Every month:
> Winco
Top off supply of EVOO, good vinegars, nut butter, bulk staples like pasta, rice, beans, quinoa, flour, gluten, potatoes, tapioca starch, sea and smoked salt, sugar, nuts, and canned/bottled stuff like tomato paste, sauces (tamari, black bean garlic, hoisin, sesame oil), etc

Every few weeks:
> Asian markets
Different varieties of mushrooms, kimchi, mock duck and different canned novelties, sauces, produce

Every week
> Winco
Fresh fruits/vegetables, milk, refrigerated perishables like tempeh or salad mix, general purpose shopping since they all-around have good prices and a surprising amount of variety

> Grocery Outlet
Look for good sales and stock up, often very good prices on stuff like coconut oil, junk like ice cream, frozen convenience meals, but mainly go because they have the best price for big bags of frozen fruit and their kitchen stuff is alright and pretty cheap (roasting pans and such)

>What do I like to eat?
>What does it take to make?
>Do I have the ingredients?
>Go to store and buy what I don't have

I always have plan. When i see that fridge gets empty i plan groceries for next day. I decide what i want cook in next few days, buy ingredients for that. Then some random stuff for sandwiches. Some vegetables and fruits. And then a bit of sweet or snacks.

I grab what I need for what I plan to cook for dinner, plus whatever else comes to mind. I'm terrible at food budgeting.

I'm usually scared to go to the store or look people in the eyes. I look at the ground a lot. I'm not doing too good. I don't find interest in food or other activities. I'm doing bad bros.

Sort yourself out you unbelievable faggot it's a grocery store FFS

same, I don't feel like I waste money by doing this or anything though. grocery store is right down the street

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Sorry.. I'm about to resign from a really well paying job too. I'm in over my head at this point. I'm running this thing with my hands tied behind my back and I'm not authorized to make the decisions to make the company grow. I'm drinking myself to death over it. It's not just me. My mom and stepdad depend on it but I can't do what I need to do. It's not worth it anymore. I've been taken advantage of for too long and I won't do it. I'll do something else.

I buy whatever the grocery jester puts in my cart.

>crave a food
>buy ingredients for it
Thats pretty much it. I don't stock up like most people and I make a bunch so I can eat on it all week, but if it doesn't last the store is on the way home so I just stop in when I get off work.

Whatever is on sales. That way I'm always trying to cook something new. Also it's great for my budget.

Whatever I have coupons for. If I'm lucky, the items are also on sale. I once paid 9 cents for a tube of toothpaste.

anyone else ever steal someone's cart full of groceries while they're not looking?

And do what with it? Buy someone else's shopping list? Why would you do this?

>think about what I want to eat
>buy ingredients for it

>How do you decide what to get at a store?

Make a list of things you need. Stick to it as much as possible. Do not go to the market hungry. If you find something on sale or marked down, consider buying it... today I bought some Gatorade which was marked down 20%... and couple of cans of Progresso soup for $1.25 each...

must be fun being a NEET and having limitless time to do what you want

Just Get what you love and is bad ass

Does anyone else stop at the shop for milk and bread and then end up leaving with 100 bucks worth of other unnecessary shit?

You do't need bread or milk fool

three reasons:
1. saves time
2. presents a unique cooking challenge
3. it's fun

I'm not a NEET, I'm a white collar midlevel IT worker and my only hobby is cooking, plus I like going to the store. I'm a very boring man.

My GF mainly keeps track of the shopping list, though.

I have a budget and by knowing where to shop and for what, our food is cheaper than it would otherwise be. Some things can literally cost 3-5x as much at one store vs another.

Do you guys just buy whatever, wherever, with no concern for what stores have the best price on staples vs perishables or thr most variety?

Also, I'm the sort of person that plnned out my education and career in the 5th grade as a result of a personality test they gave us. I stuck to it and ended up with the exact job the test suggested when I was 11. I like making plans.

All the time

I can't shop