Why the heck do some of my cookbooks say to cook dried chickpeas for up to 2 1/2 hours...

Why the heck do some of my cookbooks say to cook dried chickpeas for up to 2 1/2 hours? It only takes me 40 minutes every time.

Because you have MAGIC beans.

Undercooked chickpeas will fuck you up it's probably a liability thing

Like any grain, they can further dehydrate. Beans can take hours after soaking overnite if they've been in the open air for a decade.

Chickpeas are intentionally undercooked when making falafel, and that's fine. It's kidney beans that are toxic unless boiled for a certain amount of time.

They're probably GMO's. Enjoy your intestinal cancer in 20 years.

That's for dry, not soaked? It can take longer if they're older?

Chickpea is one of the few legumes that aren't too dangerous raw.

This is the first time I've heard about kidney beans being toxic. I've eaten them undercooked before and haven't gotten sick. How is this possible? Also can you kill yourself doing this? Asking for a friend

For soaked. I guess the authors only have access to some pretty shitty chickpeas.

>The primary symptoms of phytohaemagglutinin poisoning are nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Onset is from one to three hours after consumption of improperly prepared beans, and symptoms typically resolve within a few hours.[8] Consumption of as few as four or five raw, soaked kidney beans can cause symptoms.
Death by diarrhea. Fun!

Is there such a thing as immunity to phytohaemagglutinin? I've had bowls of raw beans and none of those symptoms.

What kind of beans? Maybe it just makes your organs fail years later?

Both red and white kidney beans. I use them in soups all the time and often eat them after they've been soaked but not cooked.

Am I going to get cancer now?

Why did you eat raw beans? And I think it's just kidney beans and cannellini beans that are the really toxic ones.

I'm also and I eat them because they're delicious.

How long do you soak them to get them soft enough?

About an hour

What? They are still rock hard after an hour.

Are you doing the "quick soak" thing that involved boiling them for a minute then covering the pot and letting them sit? That's par-cooking them.

>Are you doing the "quick soak" thing that involved boiling them for a minute then covering the pot and letting them sit? That's par-cooking them

Yes. Is that enough to make them safe to eat?

I think it's supposedly 10 minutes of boiling to get rid of all the toxin in kidney beans. Your water must be hot enough for long enough.

how do you eat raw kidney beans. they are hard as rocks