When people say JUDEO-christian are they recognizing Marcionism and other gnostics traditions?

When people say JUDEO-christian are they recognizing Marcionism and other gnostics traditions?

The bible is a book so this is of course Veeky Forums related

Also how do you cope? I feel like I'm cyclically falling apart and the only cure is to just not think about how weird and shitty everything is but then sooner or later I get depressed and try and delve into something to cure it and end up falling apart again

its like a get depressed from thinking to much so I stop thinking but then I get depressed because my life sucks and I'm not doing anything about it so I start doing something about it and end up thinking too much again

thanks my dudes

>thinking but then I get depressed because my life sucks
Do drugs, not enough to impair you. Become a functional addict. Is dependancy better than being depressed every day? I think it is

>The bible is a book
kek nice meme

I thought about that once and planned to do it, I got really quite drunk and smoked a lot of marijuana on christmas eve and was sick and didn't wake up until like 11am and my family were disappointed and angry at me

I currently have no friends (and no real interest in having any desu, maybe a qt tho u know ;)) and live in the countryside in the home of my parents, I do have a fair amount of dispossible income but how would I into drugs? I don't want to deal with drug dealers because they're scary, there is the one guy who I'm pretty sure is a drug dealer (I might just be thinking that because of racism tho) who comes into my work from time to time but hes seems a bit insane

thanks, I appreciate your comment

DUDED BALZE UP LAMEOOO

No they don't because the one thing that the God of Judaism and Christianity have in common that the others of Gnostic traditions or Islam don't is rationality. For Gnostics the universe and God is a supreme mystery, inconsistent, unpredictable, and arbitrary. This is in contrast to the Judeo-Christian God who created the universe in accord with rational rules and can't contradict his own nature. The reason this distinction is important is because it has very profound impacts on the way people view the world. For Gnostics or Muslims the only real paths to wisdom are meditation or inspiration/revelation, while Christians have a good reason to believe that we can learn actual truth by observation since the universe is consistent and knowable--the laws of nature are actual laws rather than just the whims of some mysterious God who can change them at any time without our knowing it, thus making observation an unreliable way to gain knowledge. I believe this is the reason science was basically invented in the west instead of anywhere else in the world.

Also, did you actually make this thread to talk about God or was that just an excuse to whine about depression?

>got really quite drunk and smoked a lot of marijuana
I'm talking about opiate or adderall/analogs. Weed is for idiots and alcohol is a massive downer

>did you actually make this thread to talk about God or was that just an excuse to whine about depression?

Also I think you mean YES! because everything you've said seems to agree with my point. I'm not saying that by saying judeo-christian they are grouping themselves with gnostics but rather the opposite, the reason the include 'judeo' is to distinguish themselves (and in doing so recognizing) gnostic traditions which reject the old testament.

Beyond that what you've said is very interesting. But how do you explain the islamic golden age if islam is fundamentally irrational? I don't know much about islam so maybe just tell me to fuck off

Both

I've wanted to try adderall but I live in the UK and I'm pretty sure its not really something you can easily get outside of the US, maybe I'll just drink 50 cups of coffee a day like that guy who drank 50 cups of coffee a day

quit pretending like there isn't a long history of apophatic theology in Christianity

No because the "Judeo" part refers to the people of the Old Covenant which was superseded upon Jesus death and resurrection - Jewish customs in early Christianity were eventually absorbed or abandoned thanks to Paul.
Modern Rabbinic Judaism is an offshoot of Phariseeism and, along with Gnosticism, is not included under "Judeo-Christian". The label refers only to Christianity and the Jewish legacy from before the time of Jesus.

>But how do you explain the islamic golden age if islam is fundamentally irrational?

Early on there were two competing schools of Islamic theology. The Mutazila which had very similar view of God as Christians and Jews, and the Asharites who are what Islam is today. Simply put, the Asharites won.

just send over the disposable income u have, i'll spend it wisely and you'll feel good about helping someone out

Yeah, I think my first post was misleading, I didn't mean 'recognize' as in include but rather recognizing them and then distinguishing themselves from them. Judeo as in letting you know that they include the old testament, unlike many gnostics.

ty bb

>but I live in the UK
Never mind, you're fucked

>tfw when no qt pyromancer gf

Darkweb, and don't drink that much coffee caffeïne isn't recreational at high doses

A.) There is a very strong undercurrent of mysticism in mainstream Christianity throughout the ages, you're just disregarding it to make your neat point.

B.) The Islamic golden age advanced science and mathematics ridiculously and the West either took a shit-ton or later made discoveries that had already been made from the Islamic golden age. E.g:

>Ibn al-Nafis (1213-1288) was an Arab physician who made several important contributions to the early knowledge of the pulmonary circulation. He was the first person to challenge the long-held contention of the Galen School that blood could pass through the cardiac interventricular septum, and in keeping with this he believed that all the blood that reached the left ventricle passed through the lung. He also stated that there must be small communications or pores (manafidh in Arabic) between the pulmonary artery and vein, a prediction that preceded by 400 years the discovery of the pulmonary capillaries by Marcello Malpighi. Ibn al-Nafis and another eminent physiologist of the period, Avicenna (ca. 980-1037), belong to the long period between the enormously influential school of Galen in the 2nd century, and the European scientific Renaissance in the 16th century. This is an epoch often given little attention by physiologists but is known to some historians as the Islamic Golden Age. Its importance is briefly discussed here.

Yeah mysticism exists in Christianity. So what? I explained the so called "golden age" of Islam here The reason they were able to make advances in science and math at one point and not now is because a good portion of Muslims actually used to believe in a rational God. Now they don't. For most Muslims the way to know true knowledge is through revelation (i.e. the Koran.) The Koran is co-eternal with God and to suggest otherwise in a post-Al-Ghazali world is a heresy.

>alcohol is a massive downer
I never understood this; I generally get happy as fuck when drunk.

nah, you just get less inhibited, and that might give you a short-term kick because you're so used to being inhibited

well, better just buy some rope then, I pretty sure you can buy that in the UK

I feel it man, I feels it

I don't really recreate so dunno if it matters & the darkweb shakes me to the very core

Change your life. Move somewhere else, go out and meet people, go travel, find a new hobby. If you're stuck in a bleak place you'll have bleak thoughts. Everything will seem bad and pointless, it's a matter of perspective. I cope by believing in the light and looking for the joy of life and the good in other people's hearts.

It's a cns depressant

>Just be rich!

Thanks Jeff, just let me open up my Scrooge McDuck vault and go on a cruise

CNS?

Haha, very funny! You don't need to be a billionaire to go backpacking in the east, for example. Just work for a while and save some money. Does going out, meeting people, or finding a hobby also necessarily demand lots of money?
I don't know shit about OP's life, I just pointed the fact that people will be depressed and have absolutist convictions about life being bad if they live in a bad environment. It's comfortable to say "I can't", but in the end you're the one who suffers from it. Not saying it's easy either, but you can at least try.

I definetly live in a shitty enviroment but I'm also a pretty negative person also buddha said life is suffering or something so...

Also back on the christian thing I feel like if salvation isn't eternal its not worth having. So yeah I have enough money to go backpacking but then I have to come back and do the same awful fucking shit all over again. And like aparently most depressives kill themselves when things get better but they see them going bad again, not when theyre at their worst

I also kinda h8 people and myself.

I think I probably have deeper issues than just a bad enviroment, and I think maybe all enviroments might be quite bad or something

I dunno

Thanks for the pozzo vibes tho buddy, I think there is some sense in what you say