Thoughts on this guy? I think he's pretty great as far as pulp authors go. I met him at a con once, nice guy

Thoughts on this guy? I think he's pretty great as far as pulp authors go. I met him at a con once, nice guy.

He isn't a pulp author though and his writing is garbage.

Read some of his books. I really, really don't get the appeal. Must be a normie thing. I don't think he can write.

I am halfway through American Gods and I would have thought I was the target fucking audience. Norse pagan, Veeky Forumsfag, antimodernity, the whole laundry list.

I'm pretty widely read but not any kind of perfect patrician, and normally writing doesn't distract me from following plot and characterisation, but I keep finding myself watching the wheels turning and seeing the technique clunk and clang its way down the staircase. A bit disappointed desu.

He has a "Kevin Smith" sort of charm about him, I think (he's much better than Smith, though). People like Gaiman because he was a smart, sensitive soul who worked hard, did fairly well as a journalist and then wrote some well-liked comics. Sandman still has Gaiman's clunkiness to it, but it also happened to be better-written than 99% of comics, so at least in that area, people didn't and still don't mind his imperfections. Novels are a different beast, but he's nonetheless found success due to making his name well-known.

I wouldn't call him clunky, I just feel like he has some untapped talent, like he's a natural story teller but he cares more about the story than his prose, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

He comes up with some great characters but then writes really unimaginative stories for them.
His short stories are pretty enjoyable.

At some point he got overrated. His themes are too precious, too colored by feminism. He is skilled, no doubt, but at some point he started believing his own bullshit. Reading the Cheesecake Factory menu aloud? Fuck off and write something worthy of the pantheon.

I like his comic books.

Pretty comfy reads desu. Not a brilliant "writer" but one I can enjoy. That said I feel like he doesn't know how to end his novels properly.

I have no idea who he is. Why would I recognize some random author's face? I don't read their faces. I have no idea what most authors I've read look like. At least include the person's name in the filename instead of shitposting. Or come back after you've read more than three books by 20 different authors.

I'm afraid to re-read some of his stuff, beacuse I don't think it'll hold up as well as when I was 18. Well, Good Omens and Anansi Boys probably would.

>best book is the forst one
>not even written by him but "co-authored"
>everything after that is downhill

>tfw no 1200 page novel about one block of his hometown

Shit writer, but he has patrician taste. Overall he's good for literature as a whole because at the very least he leads people to better literature.

I don't have a problem with Gaiman. Not really a fan of his works but he's knowledgeable enough about the craft of literature to recognize true genius when he sees it. The Graveyard Book is actually a pretty good children's book too.

You hit the nail on the head, this man (as well as Grant Morrison) are just copycats of The Wizard of Northampton.

>The Wizard of Northampton
I am definitely going to start using this.

This. He's probably the best entry-level author there is for people who truly want to get into literature and not read some harrypotter/ YA crap.

He's like the original nu-male and he writes books solely for women.

American Gods is so cringeworthy.

Last I checked, being a "nice guy" wasn't a prerequisite for good writing.

On that note, he's shit.

That's a very rare Moore, sir, my congratulations and best wishes

if he could go cold turkey on the fairy dust, he'd be good.

I agree.

Another good entry-level author is Philip Pullman imo

He was my transition author from childhood to serious literature, so I'll always owe a dept to him even if now I recognize he's not exceptional and can kinda be cliche/become a parody of himself.

wtf are you talking about?

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett
and Neil Gaiman

He does a great sentence and a horrible overall plot structure. Personally, he seems really kind. However, I find his "The Problem of Susan" deliberately offensive for no really good reason.

Weird, I feel the exact opposite - I feel like he likes the effect of his prose more than the overall shape of his stories.