I'm super new to Veeky Forums. Just bought this badass because i want to make reading one of my new hobbies...

I'm super new to Veeky Forums. Just bought this badass because i want to make reading one of my new hobbies. Got any suggestions on books to buy ? have no clue on where to start. some classics ?

Start with the greeks

How to Read a Book - Mortimer J. Adler
Atlas of World History - Patrick O'Brien
The Art of Fiction - David Lodge
The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing - Thomas S. Kane
The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric - Sister Miriam Joseph
How to Speak How to Listen - Mortimer J. Adler

>buy

Acquire torrents and irc for one

Unironically start with the Bible
And Plato

Why the bible ?

It likely has the largest single impact on Western thought, philosophy, tradition, literature, etc. post-300 AD of any literary work.

Oh it's only the most influential text in history

Get KJV
If you're lazy just read Genesis, Exodus, Eccl, and St Matthew. Job and Jonah for bonus
For Plato the 5 Trial Dialgoues or the Republic if you're serious
If you're a pleb who reads for fun just pick whatever you want

Here's a controversial chart that is fairly accurate for the board imo

archive.org
b-ok.org
qbittorrent search plugin
undernet #bookz

These are your new best friends

Start with

Capital, if your up to it

After 55, that list gets well random. Not enough votes.

needs moar Epictetus

Calibre: epub>mobi. Settings: full justification, keep ligatures (in case you want Bookerly or Baskerville).

kfx is ok, but no page count and no cover.

oh and: dont move more than 30-40 books at once onto your kindle without unplugging it, since indexing can get stuck otherwise.

That shitter is too small

Buy no books. Pirate everything.

Its honestly the best part about having an e-reader.

Download books in .mobi format, then use Send to Kindle (application for Windows) to, you guessed it, put the books in your Kindle account.

Use the app on your phone to read on the go.

I wouldn't recomend it as baby's first book.

The starter kit is always a good idea. I'd say if you're totally new to reading as a hobby the dystopian books are a good place to start (Brave New World, 1984 and Fahrenheit 451) as they're linear chronologically, use direct language and tell self-contained stories.

Once you get through the starter kit books, Veeky Forums usually has a thread up of charts. Some can be overtaken by Veeky Forums memes (especially the best of the year charts) but if you find something on those that intrigues you it'll probably be decent at the very least.

Hope you enjoy the hobby.

here, adding that you shouldn't feel pressured to just read classics. The point of reading as a hobby is to derive pleasure from it, whether that's from Pynchon and Proust or King and Rowling. It's not a popular opinion on Veeky Forums which, despite its memes and flaws, does read on a surprisingly high level, but it's something to keep in mind when first getting into the hobby.

>i want to make reading one of my new hobbies
If you enjoyed it, it already would be.

i wont bite, sry

>t. Mortimer J. Adler

Thanks for all the tips and help guys :) appreciate it !

What happened to supporting the creator ?

Most of the good writers are dead

Send them money directly if you want.
Publishers are parasites who fuck over the writer anyway.

ebooks are literally the most pleb thing in existence

~t. luddite

I'll tell you what happened. Buying books in my country is more expensive than buying drugs. Why? Because the publishers have constantly increased the cost of books to the point it's just ridiculous and I don't feel like being taken advantage off. I bought all my books 10 years ago. I buy almost none now.

And I don't give a fuck.

>How to Read a Book - Mortimer J. Adler

This will make you get so much more out of whatever else you choose to read. It even goes through how to choose what to read.