Have any of you tried Blue Apron or Hello Fresh or other similar subscription services? Are they at all worth it...

Have any of you tried Blue Apron or Hello Fresh or other similar subscription services? Are they at all worth it? It seems like something only for wealthy yuppies.

I have a subscription. I wouldn't say I'm wealthy but I guess I'd probably be considered a "yuppie". It's pretty decent. Better than takeout, cheaper than delivery, and some of the recipes are pretty good.

Yuppie checking in. Had Blue Apron and Hello Fresh for like a year, prefer Blue Apron heavily and would recommend if you can swing price

Hello Fresh sucks balls. The options are just okay, rarely well-thought out meals. (ex. Salmon with shitty chick peas over brown arugula) Half the time if they sent an onion or potato in the box it had mold or was beaten up and sad looking. Overall disappointing/10 would never in a million years order again. Blue Apron had way better quality food. Don't know about any other meal services but Hello Fresh can kick rocks

i like going to grocery story and making stuff

Same, those over priced subscription services that come with portions of food and recipes in the box are for faggots like OP

Haven't tried Hello Fresh even though they are pestering the shit out of me with emails and flyers in my mailbox.

Did try Blue Apron for a couple of weeks. Most of the recipes were decent and healthy, but when I figured out the cost of the meals being shipped to me to the cost of simply running to Publix and picking up the ingredients, I found I could save about ten dollars every meal just doing it myself.

Summary - Blue Apron meals are good, but overpriced.

Why do you think BA precludes grocery shopping?

It's not some kind of jenny craig diet thing, they send you a couple of boxes a week, and that's it

>I found I could save about ten dollars every meal
So in other words you get free groceries at publix?

publix is a flyover store, he probably is just a fat hamplanet and mistook the 2-person package for a 1-person package

>publix is a flyover store

no

are we thinking of different stores? I assume he meant the slave state chain grocery

Got a subscription to a service called Oddbox in my area that gives us surplus fruit and veg that's misshapen and can't be sold in supermarkets. Generally the produce is great, quite often the complaint is something stupid like "the carrots are too big" and it's all organic.

Why would you need to subscribe to something like that? Plenty of places here sell reject fruit and veg, I can't remember the last time I bought a bag of "perfect" carrots, I just buy the reject shit because it tastes exactly the same and I don't care what shape or size it is.

flyover is the midwest because you fly over it

We have a place like that here. It's called Aldi.

Where is 'here'? Aldi sells decent produce like the other major supermarkets where I live. To get the autistic vegetables I have to go to an Asian market.

there is no meaningful difference between the midwest and the slave states other than the skin colors of the flyovers that live in each area

Not true: the fast food chains are different

Had Home Chef for a couple months. The instructions aren't the best but if you already cook, its a nice way to try things you don't usually make. Plus the recipes come hole-punched so you can make your own cookbook

Stop calling us the slave states. We ended that ages ago. Can't we move on?

>There is no meaningful difference between South Florida and Iowa

ok thanks for posting but you can stop now

no, we ended it. as I recall you were none too pleased

i know this is targeted towards extremely lazy and stupid people with more money than sense but everytime i see someone actually use one of these scams i hope that they never breed

why not literally just go look up a recipe on one of the billion different food sites, buy the shit yourself for a fraction of the price, and then just follow the recipe like a non brainlet? cooking is not that hard that you need your hand held this badly

We have the most corrupt government of all time thanks to your retarded party-line muh guns and muh abortion GOP voting

>buy the shit yourself for a fraction of the price
because they don’t sell one leaf of lettuce or 5ml of doubanjiang at most stores, and I’m not mormon or orthodox jewish so that stuff is going bad if I buy it in bulk, inb4 just use it up, no, fuck off

Oh, and muh mexicans

but a head of lettuce is like 30 cents, literally who gives a shit if it goes bad. you can probably find a quarter on the ground on your way from the parking lot to the door and pay for it and you can just make more meals with other leftover ingredients. your literally paying like 1000% more by volume for shit because you are too lazy and stupid to make things with ingredients you already have

>a head of lettuce is like 30 cents
I live in manhattan, not michoacan

I don’t hoard 10000 ingredients because I’m in a studio apartment

>be so poor you live in a studio apartment
>spend 1000% more by volume on food because you are too lazy and stupid cook

i bet you are the product of fetal alcohol syndrom

I'm convinced this is for big city yuppies that can't be bothered to carry their groceries up five flights of stairs.

$120k doesn't exactly buy you a palace around here. sorry for not going into finance

my parents were university professors (I say "were" because one is retired and one started a law firm)

ya it sure doesnt when you are stupid enough to spend that kind of money on stupid shit portioned ingredients because you are to stupid to do it yourself

please never breed

I tried Blue Apron purely because they offered first-time users a discount. They were OK. Still more expensive than buying your own groceries, of course, but it was nice.

That's a person you're talking to. Have some human decency.

I also make 120k on the other side of the country and I can't stand the price of Blue Apron. Doubanjiang keeps basically forever.

I suppose (not meant as an insult) that you can look forward to a sizable inheritance so it's not that important for you to save money, whereas it's not clear if I'll receive anything at all, so I try hard to cut down on my costs.

Are you trying to FIRE?

how about you stop waving the Confederate flag if you want to stop that association, Cletus?

You seem upset.

>that kind of money
it's really not that far out of line with what reasonable quality groceries cost

doubanjiang was just an example, there are a ton of one-off ingredients they use in their meals, and I'm not really inclined to have a fridge full of mystery containers that may be six months old or may be 5 years old, it's a surprise. or I guess I could code up an inventory system and slap bar codes on everything. or, just use BA, which is what I've been doing of late

one way to "save money" would be to go to c-town and pick through the heaps of moldy vegetables and either abstain from meat or eat highly questionable meat. but if I go to normal grocery stores for people who are not impoverished, and the milk isn't expired, and the meat doesn't smell rotten, and the vegetables are fresh and taste good, that costs actual money

I mean I guess I could also take the train out to Flushing and spend my entire weekend grocery shopping, but I'd rather not do that. I used to do that when I made less, but it turned out to be exhausting and not really worth it

Yes. I don't dislike my job, and I wouldn't be unhappy if I had to stay in the same job for decades, but I'm not sure how long this job will actually exist.

You need to go back.

seems like it'll end up being annoying.

you'll get shit you won't like, but you'll feel obligated to use it 'cause you're paying a lot of money and don't want to be wasteful.

but a service that delivers fresh herbs and veggies that you always use (e.g. green onions, cilantro, etc) would be nice.

Subscription service for herbs is probably a good idea.