Are there any awards that are actually worth caring about? Pic unrelated

Are there any awards that are actually worth caring about? Pic unrelated

t. I don't get Dylan

>waaahhh! the last winner didn't write a 900 pages beam-of-consciousness novel! They're phonies!

Bob Dylan is a genius and deserved it at least as much as Faulkner did.

Lannan Literary Awards

The Neustadt International Prize for Literature

when will Pepe get an award?

Cohen deserved it more
Tournier deserved it more

Pleb here, who's Cohen?

Leonard Cohen

There are already awards for pop music, and there are a bunch of writers who deserve the recognition a nobel brings. Giving it to a legendary pop artist is wasteful.

And anyway, Dylan isn't even the best lyricist. Leonard Cohen is much better. John Darnielle is at least better than Dylan

Post your favorite bad Dylan rhymes. Mine is: Now the beach is abandoned except for some kelp / you always responded when I needed your help

>Cohen

nice joke

>Unlike Dylan, Cohen isn't Juven-

a top ten books video on youtube has as much credibility as any of these

damn . . .

Cervantes, Bolshya Kniga, National Book Award, Man Booker International, Commonwealth Stuff.

Man Booker was just fine until about 5 years ago, when minority writers became required and US writers were allowed, but Brief History still made it.

Nobel is bizarre and political but has plenty of great shit. Reading gallsworthy now, sIngrid undset is great, sienkewicz, etc. For recent winners alexeivich and Mo Yan are great

What?

>John Darnielle is at least better than Dylan

>Drawn to the dark
>Covered by the blood when possible
>Call to the corners
>To any open crucible
>Easy to reach
>Bearing every mark unmissably
>Wanna leave behind some token of what I carried with me
>Search in the storm drains
>Sleep in the underpasses
>Try hard to look hard
>Behind my blackout sunglasses

>[Chorus]
>But I have high unicorn tolerance

The only person that would say this is John Darnielle. Fuck off John

>National Book Award

nah

giving the 2009 fiction prize to Let the Great World Spin was ridiculous. That was actually -- unironically -- the worst book I've ever read. I swear I do have patience for contemporary books, but McCann basically just wrote a series of "very special episodes" about New York.

This whole "let's cherrypick their worst songs game" is pretty easy to play, and I can find much worse than Unicorn Tolerance in Dylan's catalog:

> Who wears boots
> And a suit of red?
> Santa wears boots
> And a suit of red

> Who wears a long cap
> On his head?
> Santa wears a long cap
> On his head

> Cap on head
> Suit that's red
> Special night
> Beard that's white

> Must be Santa
> Must be Santa
> Must be Santa
> Santa Claus

And if you're gonna complain he didn't actually write that one, fine. Here's one written by our esteemed Nobel Laureate:

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a gypsy queen

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle all dressed in green

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle ’til the moon is blue

Wiggle ’til the moon sees you
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle in your boots and shoes

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, you got nothing to lose

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a swarm of bees

Wiggle on your hands and knees
Wiggle to the front, wiggle to the rear

Wiggle ’til you wiggle right out of here

Wiggle ’til it opens, wiggle ’til it shuts

Wiggle ’til it bites, wiggle ’til it cuts

You're trying too hard John

The Caldecott desu

Awards have been rendered obsolete by technological change. Democratic opinion and individual expert opinion are both superior.

Awards are basically just people congratulating eachother huffing their own farts and are intensely political. Oligarchy was a mistake.

fields medal

>m-muh generic life sucks songs with some clever inserts
>better than dylan
All Hail West Texas and Beat the Champ are some of my favorite albums of all time, but come on, this has to be bait

Nah they're pretty much all pozzed now. It's not that SJWs take them over, it's that the people in charge think "SJWism is the new zeitgeist, we have to keep up with the times and be HIP!" and veer into partisanship.

The whole institution of awards is bourgeois as fuck anyway, because it's always milquetoast middle of the road shit. You can tell who is going to win by predicting "who should win, if everything pretty much stays the way it has always been, and things go as expected." That's how the bourgeois mind works. It just reproduces itself, and assimilates things outside itself only when they are JUST outside itself, sharing a border with it.

Now, on top of that, on top of the Nobel being a "Worthless Rich People Get Together and Clap" ceremony for awarding predictable bourgeois shit, it's also assimilated a puritanical element, because that's the current bourgeois zeitgeist. So now you get together and boringly clap about boring self-flagellation. It's doubly bourgeois, doubly predictable.

The Nobel is worth it for the money, nothing more.

>Democratic opinion

Good post.