PLEASE HELP IM GONNA FUCKING LOSE IT AND TAKE A SHOTGUN TO MY SKILLET!

i bought a brand spanking new, pre seasoned, ready to go cast iron skillet... That EVERYTHING STICKS TOO. Im left with stuck on char (like pic related) that wont come off unless i clean it with forbidden techniques.

Heres what i did. Slowly heat the pan. Add vegetable oil. Toss in steaks. Flips steaks. Fucking burnt on char already on skillet. Steaks done medium rare nice crust. Skillet is a disaster.

Im just boggled. I dont get it. Its brand new and pre seasoned and its supposed to be non stick. The nice old lady at the checkout line said i would love my new skillet and that she doesnt even wash hers... She just simply wipes it out with a cloth. Whats is going on here guys? I need help...

Ohh and thanks. I will be checking in periodically.

Other urls found in this thread:

i5.walmartimages.com/asr/6ef0565e-752f-4f25-bafc-8230cdc7ac4a_1.c15f59178db249172c8053471c342579.jpeg).
youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY
sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
youtube.com/watch?v=rdnQ0nO3AcY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm curious where did you buy your skillet?

I got one from bed bath and beyond and it really sucks

Brand new cast iron skillets these days aren't nonstick because the surfaces are nowhere near smooth enough. You're going to need to Google how to clean, smooth and reseason your pan. Good luck, user.

just sand it down lightly and re season it

>WASH BEFORE FIRST USE

Walmart. I forget the name but some famous woman cook brand.

I did. It came with a small booklet and i read and followed everything it said.

Sandblast it with glass bead. Lightly oil. Put in preheated 500 degree oven 10 minutes.

Adding to say that the coating on them is usually also garbage.

Scrape it down all over with steel wool until you hit metal. Apply a VERY thin coat of Canola oil and bake at 450 f for an hour. Rinse and apply another coat for a total of 4-5 times.

>he didn't personally season new cast-iron

Ahahahaha enjoy scrubbing that shit off, better hope you have steel wool handy.

>bought a lodge from academy
>didn't have to modify off the shelf or do anything
>just scrap the large bits off and wipe it down with a wet rag after use
>put a thin coating of oil on it
>stick in oven for storage
Did I get lucky or are lodge pans that good?

>Walmart
>doesn't season the pan himself
>gets irrationally angry on a finnish fish smoking forum instead of googling it

Never had any problems with mine, unless i cook eggs on them for to long.

But it was pre seasoned from the factory and should have been ready to go. After the first disaster i did re season and nothing changed.

Actually, i did as per the instructions.

I did season it myself before i first use. Instructions said 350 for one hour.

Who the fuck cares where he bought it?
It's fucking cast iron.
What the hell else could it possibly be made out of?

Also, I bought one at Walmart too a few months back.
I don't bother with any of that autismal ``remove preseason sand the fuck out of it''
It's a piece of metal coated in burnt grease, it will be fucking fine.
Never have any problems.
OP is just a retard or something.

Related question: if the only oils I have are coconut and red palm oil, which should I use?

Also, is it possible that the pan will ignite in the stove (it's a really small pan, here: i5.walmartimages.com/asr/6ef0565e-752f-4f25-bafc-8230cdc7ac4a_1.c15f59178db249172c8053471c342579.jpeg).

p.s. half of the retards in this thread have no idea how cast iron works and just parrots things they've heard before

What am i doing wrong?

This is not op.

Correct, it's not. That's why I said "related question". Would you be able to help me with this, though?

>Add vegetable oil.
>Toss in steaks.

Next time try:
>brush steaks witrh oil
>place steaks in pan and gently slide each steak to ensure that they don't stick immediately to the pan
It's that initial contact with the pan that you really need to monitor.

/based on my experience with SS pans
I've never used a meme pan but I'm sure the chemistry will be the same.

>Did I get lucky or are lodge pans that good?

I have a set of lodge cast iron pans that I bought from the factory in TN 10 years ago (they were on sale during the corn bread festival). I've only needed to re- season about once every 12-18 months. My skillet has pretty much become smooth enough on the inside that I could probably cook an egg without oil and not have it stick.

About 4 months ago, I bought a new 12" lodge skillet from Amazon. It's worked okay and I haven't seasoned it myself yet, but I can still see grey metal in some places. I think lodge's pre-seasoning process changed at some point and their new pans need several rounds of seasoning (or to be reserved only for bacon for a while) before they truly become non stick.

what you're doing wrong is expecting too much at first.
It's not a teflon pan. The pre-season is just good enough so that the cast iron pan doesn't flash rust.

As you keep using it, the polymerized layer (burnt grease) will build up and the pan will become more and more resilient to sticking.
One person mentioned earlier that the pan isn't microscopically smooth. As you keep using it, it the polymerized layer will fill those gaps and then the pan will become smooth.

tl;dr JUST KEEP USING IT

Even though this video is buzzfeed, it's one of few unironically good things that came out of them
youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY

>It's a piece of metal coated in burnt grease, it will be fucking fine.

This. Once you understand what makes cast iron "non-stick" it should become clear how you need to treat it. OP probably tried to cook without using any fat because Teflon coated pans boast that capability and are labeled as non-stick.

Btw OP, cast iron is somewhere between stainless and Teflon in terms of non-stick capability. When you first use it, the csdt iron will behave much the same as stainless steel. Over time and with proper treatment, you can get a cast iron surface to more closely mimic Teflon, but there is a leaning curve to get there.

If Teflon's so great in terms of non-stick, what's the point of using cast-iron, apart from novelty?

Im starting to think the only way is to cook bacon over and over without ever washing the pan with water and just wipeing it out for next time. Eventually you will have it seasoned enough to tackle steaks and eggs. Idk man...

People just want to feel like they're rustic counter-culture "real cooks just like grandma" or some shit. Consider: buzzfeed is making videos about care of cast iron . That's the market obsessing over cast iron.

cast iron is for:
poorfags
hipsters
memelords
people who are scared of Teflon flakes in their food, probably scared of fluoride in water too

Teflon is for:
casuals

but really, an unironically good reason to own cast iron is that cast iron doesn't give a shit about stove or oven.
You could bake some shallow bread in your pan if you really wanted to.

Casual cooks might be limited in their choices because over half of the shit they own can't even go inside of an oven.

I will use this advice. Although, i still dont think i should have been left with the mess that i am being left with.

It wasnt a one time thing. Steaks, burgers, korean style kolbe beef... The food turns out good, but the pan is fucked.

I think that mess is your oil. I'm guessing some kind of extra virgin olive oil? Try coconut or any oil with a high smoke point. Even canola.

>korean style kolbe beef
you wanna know how i know you're full of shit?

>4-5 times.
This user gives what would generally be good advice, but don't just use steel wool. Use sand paper until you bottom and sides of the pan are as smooth as a baby's bottom. Then, as user said, apply a THIN layer of fat but put it in a 350 degree oven for 1-2 hours. Repeat 2 more times. Apply another coat and put in 450 degree oven for 1-2 hours. Repeat that whole process 3 more times for a total of 16 baking cycles. No, you are almost done. Now all you have to do is make pan fried chicken in the pan where it is basically half full of oil for 2-3 hours while you fry 10-20 pounds of chicken. Congratulations. You now have a perfectly seasoned cast iron pan where with the addition of a little butter / oil, nothing will stick to it (unless you fuck up and cook something acidic in it like tomato sauce).

>the pan will ignite in the stove
what the hell are you doin nigger, that pan IS already non-stick. It is fucking teflon coated.

You can make cast iron really really hot, as is required for pproperlyy searing a steak, and it retains the heat due to its higher mass. Teflon gives off some pretty unhealthy fumes and flakes off when heated too high.

Durability, teflon coating will begin to wear off eventually- even if you treat it properly. They also typically have thicker bottoms too for better heat retention, and since the whole of it is metal you have the ability to finish things in the oven. It's a trade off, cheaper and low effort product beforehand that wears out eventually or a more expensive product that requires you to put in a lot up front but once you have it will outlive you.

Another, albeit niche use, is for people who have pet birds. Cooking with teflon can actually kill them (it gives off fumes which birds are particularly sensitive to), so you should only use alternatives like cast iron or stainless steel. And to be on the safe side never have your birds in the kitchen while cooking regardless of what pans you use.

user I think your expectations may be wrong. No matter how well a cast iron pan is seasoned, meat WILL stick to it like crazy when being put in the hot pan. But when it has been properly browned the pan will release the almost by itself. Some sucs will be left in the pan, but they can be easily removed by adding some water, letting it soak in severe cases nad by scrubbing the pan with a stiff nylon brush.

Sure...???

Will consider.

The seasoning it comes with is shit and only there to protect it during shipping. You should always strip and reseason a new store bought cast iron skillet, sand it down if you want it smooth.

I use a wooden fork spatula to scrape off anything that burns to my skillet.
Cold meats will react weird with high heat on contact, like dry ice to boiling water.
You should try and re season when shit gets fucked up. I haven't seasoned mine after countless uses after a year now, baking with it, boiling stuff in it, frying, name it. I've even double boiled with it and used it as a lid once.

And it's starting to get burn sticky, so I gotta re season soon. I'm tired of choking on buttery smoke just to keep the bacon from sticking to the pan.

That... sounds like a recipe for cancer user

Fuck baking. My pan goes in the oven only to finish what I started over the stove.

you are fucking retarded or underage if you think a literal post about seasoning a cast iron pan is going to give you cancer

what is the coating im scratching away

throw it out and buy carbon steel
that shit is smooth as glass compared to a new cast iron
they stopped sanding them at the factory in, what, the 90's? earlier? "it holds the seasoning better!" my fucking ass it does

the same fucking thing, you goddamn mongoloid
you're too fucking retarded for a cast iron pan, do not pass go, head back to the store and get a teflon pan like the fucking casual you are

how do i know i hit steel then if it's the same thing!!! what the fuck!

Fucking kek

kek

kek

You probably arent getting it hot enough

>woman cook brand

>trusting someone elses seasoning user
sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Get the pan hotter before adding the steak, or better season it. I tend to season my cast-iron by using it as a deep fryer for a month or so before even cooking in it.

Idk man, thing was smokeing before the food went it.

Hmm, interdasting.

I pretty much only use my cast iron for recipes that require me going directly from stove to oven

The versatility and temperature tolerance of cast iron.

>who's a memelord and a casual?

Er, you want the brown stuff at the bottom of the pan, that’s the base of your sauce after deglazing

You fell for the cast iron meme is what you did. What did you think would happen? Its what old dumb rednecks use because its ancient technology and they can't embrace actual new non-stick pans so they apply grease to a pan and burn it on like morons. Even describing the process of 'seasoning' a pan sounds idiotic.

What's a decent non-stick, oven-safe pan to use if not cast iron? I wanna make shit like frittatas but don't have a pan that won't get obliterated in the oven.

>memepan
cant really say much, i guess you are an american?
now just waiting for the guy who says "high level cuisine uses only cast iron pans" and then we can have a laugh and go to bed

why do you need an oven for a frittata meine negro?
>charcoal is flavour
that wasnt interesting at all

Honestly using cast iron is a learning process. Look at those fajita plates they use in Mexican restaurants. That shit isn't well seasoned or taken care of. They just used it correctly. Try again. As long as there isn't rust on it it's fine. Try using animal fat or butter instead of vegetable oil.

Whats the consensus on this?

Cast Irons are great for making breakfast.
Cast irons suck because you have to heat them up so slowly and making food takes forever.
I don't mind during breakfast because it gives me time to
>make coffee
>use bathroom
>drink coffee
>vodka shot

Now I am ready to cook breakfast.
Thank you cast iron

some people should just stick to boiling everything

So can steel with teflon not go in the oven?

>cilantro
>on peeksa

why

Not that guy but theres a hole in the wall pizza joint near me that only uses fresh ingrediants never anything frozen and they have a pizza with cilantro and its delicious.

What do hardcore users use?

Sombody with a twitter ask bobby flay about proper use and care of cast iron and report back.

Cast iron is good if you have anemia.

- tinfoil directly over oven burners
- old coffee tins over camp stoves
- soaked wood over oven burners
- placed directly on coals of a campfire
- placed in a fat-rubbed brown paper bag and thrown in a campfire
- placed in a watermelon, orange, etc. and thrown into campfire
- pouring cooking liquor over food and igniting it in the kitchen
- held in the hands over any heat source
- placed on a sidewalk and surrounded by magnifying glasses on a sunny day
- placed directly over the hot part of the refrigerator
- cooked over scrap metal at a garbage fire
- thrown in a bag of dry ice and shaken so hard the temperature shock actually cooks the meat
- rubbing two pieces of metal together vigorously until they get hot, clamp the meat between them
- leave on room temperature counter and eat your food raw like a man
- getting in an argument with a chan user to the point where they overheat with rage, then cook directly on their forehead.

Last one is my favorite, adds a nice hint of flaming hot cheeto flavoring.

mah nigga, i usually buy 300 pounds of meat place it all throughout my house and set the entire house on fire. i call it the Chris Chan Charcoaler

Meat and cooking liquor are cheaper than natural gas and heating oil per pound. Not only does cooking 300 lb of meat consistently throughout your house feed you, it keeps you warm and makes your place smell nice too.

it'll be a while, but ill keep the liquor in mind

It's great for even cooking on anything starchy. Things like pancakes, potatoes, and cornbread all come out remarkably better than any of the thinner cookware, and it's cheaper and more durable than anything teflon, especially if the teflon thing in question is made in such a way that it can compete with the cooking characteristics of a decent cast iron implement.

Abortion instrument clothes hanger whisk, machete, spatula made out of spam tin, and fish bowl.

It's parsley!
>you dip

>tinfoil directly over oven burners
Wait a minute....

>placed in a watermelon, orange, etc. and thrown into campfire
People do this?

copper pleb

>grilling over burnt paper towels
>dropping meat on the toilet
>grilling directly over the stove

youtube.com/watch?v=rdnQ0nO3AcY

The correct answer is stainless steel.

I got a cast iron skillet for Christmas and I'm in the process of seasoning it right now.

What should I test it out with?

easy mode: pancakes

extra difficulty: add blueberries and watch that they don't stick. because sugar usually does.

how about for a newly seasoned wok

Hunan cat with brocree

Fluoride calcifies your pineal gland, it's well documented but somehow people remain dismissive.

Nah, it's just that people are morons.

They expect it to function like Teflon. Everything will stick at first, but assuming the heat is where it should be it'll release on it's own.

I've never had any sticking and I've only seasoned once when the factory one was coming undone.

CHAINMAIL

Ssshhhh let the idiot rot his brain.

At a certain temp teflon burns and you're left with a useless piece of metal. Cast iron doesn't burn since it's pure metal,