ITT: important books that Veeky Forumsizens ignore because they only read books comfortably selected for them by the...

ITT: important books that Veeky Forumsizens ignore because they only read books comfortably selected for them by the unconscious filter of the collective anglo memory

t. Eco

Other urls found in this thread:

poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Chateaubriand/Chathome.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I read this book because my dad bought it for me.

nice
your dad is a good person

I dunno man he was reading Ready Player One a short time ago and all he seems to read is WH Smith-tier novels and old-ish sci-fi. But he keeps buying me patrish books, and he seems to have read everything I have. And he bullies me for mispronouncing stuff...

my dad is dead

your dad seems like the kind of person i want to be at 40
true

He read the Canon so many times all that's left is shit. Sounds based.

Post basically everything from the Italian, French and Spanish (or even Portuguese) literary tradition.

Like this.

Your dad has ascended

[insert any non-english poetry]
Also, Ionesco. He is, according to Bloom, the greatest 20th century dramatist, superior even to Beckett. He also Calderon de la Barca too and seriously considered writing a chapter on him in his "Western Canon".
Listen to your Papa Bloom, anglos.

He praised Calderon too*

Life is too short reading books that might or might not be good.
Reading through Canon is wa better

Boccaccio IS canon you dumb fuck, he was one of the key renaissance writers. Your beloved Chaucer used Decameron as the model for his Canterbury Tales.

loved that book

Is it worth reading unabridged?

And should I even bother if I have to read it in English?

Not him, but:

>Is it worth reading unabridged?
Yes. An abridged version makes little sense, just like Casanova's memoirs, since it's the story of an entire (and exceptional) life. Try to read the first books--or just any book, really, since the style is so good everywhere--and see if it clicks with you.

>And should I even bother if I have to read it in English?
I looked at an English translation online and it looked fine enough to me, even if it's slightly more beautiful and solemn in French (the English version is comfier).

This is the translation, by the way: poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Chateaubriand/Chathome.htm

This basically. You ma even add some German ones as well beyond a few entry levels. For some reason the Russians are rather well-known in the Anglo speaking world.

>the absolute state

At least the greatest achievements of German literature are not completely ignored.

The Anglo public knows Les Misérables, but not the poetry of Victor Hugo. It's like knowing Goethe for Werther, while not even having one English translation of Faust.

I think the anglo public knows Victor Hugo and Les Mis and that's it. I doubt they even know he created Quasimodo

Thanks very much for the info. I've seen the upcoming NYRB edition mentioned on lit a few times (unabridged but incomplete; only goes up to 1800 which, given events in France afterwards, seems kind of lame) but may consider picking up an old mult-volume edition from abebooks or something. Seems like a cool long-term read.

Cheers!

I love Chateaubriand dearly. I really need to read Atala and René