In today's episode, we'll be making shrimp fried rice

In today's episode, we'll be making shrimp fried rice.

I didn't use a recipe here, and just used what I had in the pantry, which is one thing fried rice is great for: using up odds and ends.

First, make a pot of very lightly salted plain white rice.

F

I set some shrimp and peas to thaw

MOAR

So the shrimp was pre-cooked? I wanna know to into shellfish without poisoning myself or my cat.

I'm just going to par-cook the shrimp over medium-low. I put them in a bowl when they were about 70% cooked.
This is raw, peeled frozen shrimp.

>frozen shrimp
Gotcha! Didn't know that existed 'till now. I can do this!

Chop some bell peppers, onion and carrot and any other veggies you like. Mushrooms, baby corn, water chestnuts, snow peas, broccoli. Whatever you want.

I also brought out the seasonings I want to use as you can see in the pic.

Start sauteeing your veggies in a couple tablespoons of oil. Use medium-high heat here, things are going to go quick.
Once your onions are translucent, add some garlic and ginger if you have it.

I'm a little worried about you, user.

Oh, at the sauteeing stage you'll want to put an egg in the pan. You can just scramble it up, should cook in about 40 seconds. I totally forgot to add egg.

Then add in your rice. Keep the heat cranked up.

Now I added back in my shrimp and put peas in.

Fry the rice in oil first?

Heat still up, we want this sizzling. Worst that will happen is your rice gets a little toasty, no problem.

For ~3 cups cooked rice:
Add in 1.5 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce, 3 Tbsp soy sauce, 1.5 Tbsp Hoisin sauce.
If you want to add fish sauce, add up to 1 Tbsp. Reduce soy sauce by the same amount.

Stir it all up, let it cook for a couple minutes. Repeat 2-3 times.

There was oil in the pan when I put the rice in, and it was over high heat.

That's the first time anybody has said that to me and now I'm sad.

Umm and that's it. See OP pic for finished product. Garnish with cilantro.

Any questions? Feedback?

Fucking gweilos...

leftover rice makes for better fried rice

Good stuff. Thanx, OP.

6/10. will use chicken instead of sea bugs.

You can add dog or cat meat if you prefer instead of the shrimp, by all means.

I have a problem with this recipe: Where the fuck do you get this small amount of peas? I usually have to buy these abnormous 500gr frozen packs which I have to throw away for the most part later on, because I can't stand eating so much of them at once...

>take a few out of bag to thaw in tupperware
>close bag again or alternatively put peas in tupperware and stick back in freezer
wa la

Frozen peas my man. Just keep em in the freezer and thaw however many you need. 5 minutes in cold water is all it takes to thaw them.

I don't want you to be sad, I want you to live

Looks pretty good. I'm a cilantro fan, but I'd probably pass on it here.

>crowded pan
>using fresh rice instead of leftover or even simply chilled
>too many chopped ingredients convolutes a simple dish and drowns out the actual rice flavor
>rice doesn't look properly greased, fried, or seasoned
>uses jarred garlic and ginger
>using hoisin sauce instead of oyster, and WHERE'S THE FUCKING SESAME OIL
>no egg

1.5/10

Fair enough.
I should have called this: leftover vegetables with rice in a vaguely asian manner, and then you'd be OK with it?
It's like the time I made chili on here and got crucified for adding beans.

I'd rather you called it "lazy white person bastardizes a simple rice dish without taking a minute to research"

It was better than any I've had a restaraunt so whatever.

That's the problem there. I have a roommate and a claustrophobic sized freezer that is full 90% of the time...

You're the problem then, go have a talk with your roommate, if they don't care or don't change kick em out.

Are you retarded? Srs

don't thaw shrimp like that user it ruins the texture. if you aint got no time for it to thaw you aint got no time fo shrimp

The unfortunate thing about most home fried rice is they can't actually fry the rice properly.

You see, most restaurant wok hobs are 100k BTU. You don't really need more than 20k BTU, but the higher you get the easier it is to get that nice fried rice flavor

Nah, she's great. We just happen to freeze cooked food for later in there or I am using it for frozen pizzas (exam time, not much time to cook or go shopping). It is just a really tiny fridge... which pisses me off, but yeah...

and you hail from where, faggot?

This. I can't believe this asshat is shitting on the original recipe this hard. I would be embarrassed to post, especially since they left out entire ingredients.

>Actually a good thread for a change /10
ty OP