Does anyone else here feels really disillusioned with the feasibility of philosophical inquiry as a method to reach...

Does anyone else here feels really disillusioned with the feasibility of philosophical inquiry as a method to reach truth?
The more authors I study (specially the post-structuralists and postmoderns) the more I feel like things like discourse, rhetorics, trends, cults of personality and politics go more in the way of shaping whatever it is that the field's status quo deems truthful than the ideas themselves.
Am I becoming a nihilist?

>really disillusioned with the feasibility to reach truth

fixed that for ya

sense control and the resulting calming of the restless mind leads to the transcendental experience of eternity, which is the difference between intellectuals/theologians and saints/sages.

>transcendental experience of eternity

yeah once i hit a certain age and read enough stuff i realize this is whats up, doing a lot of lsd may or may not have also helped

Read more Plato and Nietzsche .

To say truth is subjective is incredibly reductionist thinking. However it is true to a small degree. Think about it. How can you have an answer without a question? You have to have specific values and a method to determine what truth is. Now saying whether those values are truly subjective or not can be fairly disputed.

Essentially you are right. Now with this knowledge you can think backwards from someone's truth to find their values. Why do some people choose to believe in determinism though it is still a leap? Maybe it gives them freedom from responsibility.

So what values are highest for you? What method determines the hierarchy of your values? Why is that your method? Do you have will to make your values or are you predisposed to particular ideals?

What about Plato? He walked on the snow barefoot, claimed to be able to separate his soul from his body and thus control his sensations and emotions. This is what philosophy essentially is for Plato. So is he a sage or a philosopher?

Do you think this stage is actually attainable with meditation?

i find walking through the woods or the city or anywhere works better than sitting in some room somewhere trying not to think

yeah, the mind and the intellect has its limitations, as it does nothing but behold forms inherently composed of boundaries.

consciousness has no such limitation however, as it is formless, due to being all-encompassing (i.e. able to experience reality with and without mental activity or apprehension of forms). this property makes it eternal and omniscient as its totality exists beyond the confines of time and space

How would you define a transcendental experience of eternity? How would I know if I had one or how would to people who claim to have had one know that they experienced the same sort of thing?

>things like discourse, rhetorics, trends, cults of personality and politics go more in the way of shaping whatever it is that the field's status quo deems truthful than the ideas themselves.
yes
>Am I becoming a nihilist?
No

idk man it sounds kinda pretentious to describe it that way, but it's just weird, sort of sublime, i wouldn't even say you're "at peace" or some shit because i may still be feeling some anxiety or struggle, but you're not thinking in some narrative in your head, you're just there, and even if you're feeling "alienated" you still feel at one with everything, idk bro its too spooky i don't talk about it cuz it sounds like some queer hippy shit t b h

>The more authors I study (specially the post-structuralists and postmoderns)

There's your problem.

sages often speak of the means to attaining transcendence more often than not. if the emphasis of one's body of work is focused on other things, then thats a strong indication of having yet to experience the highest realization

that is, there is an emphasis on minimizing thought activity in exchange for one-pointed inner reflection

truth itself is a philosophical inquiry, so it naturally falls under the subject, and your annoyance is hardly directed towards the right place.

it's probably just part of growing up really

truth never fades, degrades, or dies; it is eternal. and in order to know the eternal, one must become eternal as well. this means disregarding all things that are transient and perishable in exchange for focusing upon and aligning with that which is everlasting: the unmoving consciousness existing beyond all limited, manifest things.

hence the teachings of christ, the dharma, the tao, whatever you want to call it. as christ said, the path to truth is straight and narrow, like a razors edge. philosophy and intellectual musings are the wide road which leads to this narrow ascending pathway full of obstacles and pitfalls, but it is the path to immortality. to reject it and remain within the confines of the intellect only leads one around in circles until the inevitability of death.

How can the realization of eternity give you a sort of immortality? I really don't mean to put you off, I just want to understand you.

I have an idea what you mean. I used to do psychedelics too, but what makes you think that was a significant experience and not just a different way of thinking like when you are sleep deprived or something?

what's a significant experience though? if i write it down and people keep reading it in 1000 years? if i teach a bunch of classes on it and get 1000 followers? does that make it more significant to me? idk bro, it is what it is

i would say it's just a state of being at peace with the world, but that's not entirely true, since often i am not at peace but still feel it, it's just me can't say it should matter to anyone else, but i guess the thing is that i feel like searching for "truth" or things like this through philosophy is fun but not especially important, or significant if you prefer, but like i said just sounds like some hippy shit

>Does anyone else here feels really disillusioned with the feasibility of philosophical inquiry as a method to reach truth?
Obviously. Philosophers have been bashing their heads against the same issues for millennia and still can't agree on a single fucking thing.

Well you replied to a person who was talking about a transcendental experience of eternity. He also said it's the difference between people who study and those who know pretty much. As if this one experience is the difference between understanding the nature of reality and being restless and unsatisfied. If such a state exists it's pretty significant.

The issue I have is that I have had a similar state and it was a hoax. It's just a feeling and when you try to really understand what you think you know, you come to the conclusion that you haven't really learned anything. I have never met or read a source that has supposedly had a mystical experience and been able to explain why they think it was anything more than a drug or something influencing them. They act like they have knowledge yet they can't even understand it themselves. You could say it is a posteriori knowledge but I'm not sure that sort of knowledge could be an answer to the sort of question it posits to satisfy.

Anyways what you seem to be talking about is a fairly mundane experience as far as some people would say in regards to meditative states. Not trying to say it's meaningless but you replied to the other poster like you were talking about what he was.

you're looking for some big flashing neon text to come across the screen of your life and say TRANSCENDENTAL EXPERIENCE! and have your mind blown to bits, that's why you're not going to find it

maybe it's like when a virgin finally gets laid, they're like "that was cool, but that's it? it's not that different from jacking off, and millions of people do it all the time"

when something actually happens to you it's never like how you imagined it was going to be

Philosophy is a bunch of bullshit. Are you surprised?

I'm just trying to see if anyone can even say what that sort of experience is. As I'm concerned it doesn't exist and everyone is either fooling other people or themselves. people talk to each other like they are describing the same things but they are not. Some say after you have it, you feel like you are floating the rest of your life, you will achieve nirvana and escape the chain of dukkha relieving yourself of desire and permanence, others say it is the key to immortality, claims it's not so incredible and paranormal. The issue is that all of you talk like you are having the same experience and refuse to set about defining what you are actually discussing. So either you are talking about different things or you are all under an illusion.

How did you find Aristotle?

Completely agree. People know you're right so they say transcendental as a way of saying, "I can't refute you so I'll make up some shit that's somehow above logic and try to obfuscate ifgheh ask questions"

>2017
>being a platonist

When your consciousness extends beyond the body and becomes realized as without boundary or limit (like the manifest body), the experience of it also naturally exceeds the confines of time and space.

Time is always in motion. To permanently experience and identify with that which is beyond and unmoving is what confers immortality.

To be unmoving is to be imperishable, beyond the reach of transience, which is the perpetual cycle of ignorance, death, and rebirth. Ignorance is mentioned here because in that state, the unmoving and eternal truth has yet to be realized.

I felt eternity after a Zizek induced "repressed" memory surfaced. It felt incredible.

Truth is not something you can reach, but something you perpetually strive toward. Chase, not catch, brother.