If you had a chance to ask Aristotle what he thought of the idea of writing about physical science for general readers...

>If you had a chance to ask Aristotle what he thought of the idea of writing about physical science for general readers, he would not have understood what you meant. All of his own writing, on physics and astronomy as well as on politics and aesthetics, was accessible to any educated Greek of his time. This is not evidence so much of Aristotle’s skills as a writer, or of the excellence of Greek education, as it is of the primitive state of Hellenic physical science, which made no effective use of mathematics. It is mathematics above all that presents an obstacle to communication between professional scientists and the general educated public.

What the FUCK did he mean by this?

He's wrong. Greek Mathematics is far more complex than usually presented in textbooks. Geometric Algebra is actually quite powerful and many of Aristotle's contemporaries were up to tremendously advanced mathematics (Menaechmus, Dinostratus, Theodorus, Eudoxus, Autolycus, etc.). Explaining modern algebraic notion would likely not be difficult.

In Aristotle's time most things could be understood by the educated class because these things wasn't so advanced that it required special aptitudes and/or years of study.

Now the educated class is fragmented into different specialties because the discourses around each subject matter are so much more developed, many of them actually requiring certain mental potentialities beyond the potentialities you need for baseline education.

Aristotle's time is a combination of subscribers and administrators under smaller groups of organizations. At this time, children's learning styles are different because they are a major night of major events, with a strong mental and non-Gourmet mind.

Simply not true regardless of his point about maths

>people must be educated

found the lolberal

no. stop the bullshit please. the greeks did not had what you americans call algebra, and the only really significant thing they did is launch the hunt for rigor which culminated in the early 20th century in axiomatic set theory

Valuable contributions. Practically an agora in here. Aristotle would feel right at home.

weed is bad for you, ok?

Everything you know about Greek mathematics comes from a paragraph in a Morris Klein book... That the Greeks didn't use notational algebra is not the same as not having algebra.

I'm sorry but that was a while ago. I do not drug, but I have traumatic brain injury. I am not good at always expressing my opinion.
Aristotle demonstrates the idea directly more than windows with other teachers today. The second version of the Obscurine note for the camera in Aristotle's article shows that it is in the post 350 CC. Aristotle's equipment is a dark room in the small pool, open to the sun.

>everyone in here subscribing to enlightenment progressivism

I'm getting my phd in pure maths, man. stop embarrassing yourself

Reads like a blatant defense mechanism.

also 1) i don't know who the fuck morris klein is, your americans are so ethnocentric, gosh 2) notational algebra is a pleonasm. the actual breakthrough that is early algebra is precisely the idea of abstractly denoting quantities

Well, to explain a scientific concept beyond using analogies about fucking cats in boxes or space as a rubber band, you need a certain knowledge about mathematics and why things are modelled the way they are. But the analogies work well for making people "understand" things on a basic level, i.e "quantum physics are weird".

But I think what's more important is a sense of...I don't know, logical thinking? An ability to view things from a scientific or problem-solving point of view. Things like symmetry, convergence, divergence, stability, logaritmic vs exponetial growth, combinatorics, statistic etc, all the concepts that are at the core, so to speak, of this kind of thought. If you have a grasp of that, you don't need to know exactly how a particle accelerator works, but you can get a grasp on why it is reasonable for it to work.

I'm in the best scientific school in France, and I've spent 6 months at Princeton. I haven't met more than something like 15-20 people who really intuitively understood basic concepts like angular momentum, magnetic field as relativistic effect or Huyghens diffraction. everybody can sort out the problems sure but very few people actually try to understand the actual physics of things. i can say with confidence no layman actually gets any understanding of physics from shitty shows or anything. if it's only about making science ignoramus feel better about themselves,

PhD in pure maths on the Veeky Forums Veeky Forums board. Do they offer PhDs at Adtalem Global Education?

Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm a physics STEMfag myself, and I sure as shit don't think quantum numbers and spin make any sense at all. In fact, I would bet money that if I asked my classmates specifically HOW magnetism is generated, I would get a few blank stares. It's a shame really - of course, I'm doing engineering physics so it's more towards the practical, but I really feel a lot of people (myself included) are skirting by with our problem-solving knowledge, rather than a solid understand of physical phenomena. I think it's because it's all book-learning, and no real discussion. One of the most interesting discussion I had was when I was a freshman and we simply talked about: How do you know if you're falling? What physical sensations and what causes them? It's a simple question, but that kind of work leads to more understanding than any book will teach you. But atleast in my Uni, the really interested ones will grasp it and go towards PhD:s, while the rest will get engineering jobs.

What school by the way? École Polytechnique? If so I'm jelly, heard good things. Chalmers in Sweden myself.

I'm working towards one. I work in arithmetic geometry, more specifically on shimura varieties. they are in a loose sense geometric objects endowed with important informations that can ultimately lead us to things concerning among other things prime numbers. the standard tools to get that information from them come from what is called cohomologh theory, and I try to use recent développement in cohomology theory to obtain novel stuff about them.

what about it is hard to believe? Veeky Forums is kinda fun and i need to work on my english

yes, people don't try to dig below the surface, it's pretty sad. happens less in maths because you're closer to the substance but still. I study at the école normale supérieure, it's a bit better than polytechnique, but it's actually about science, not money ;). the ENS is paradise on earth, but I personally spent two years in hell to get in (there's the big french competitive exam). even now I wish I could've gone to university like in other countries 2bqh (french university is shit because all the bright students go for the exam preparation)