ITT: Post your most contrarian literary opinions

ITT: Post your most contrarian literary opinions

You don't need to be well read to write well.

Reading is only immersion, emersion is essential in order to become a Hero

Camus and Orwell suck as fiction writers. Their essays are awesome though.

Oh god I'm gonna get thrashed.

>Corncob really is a try-hard. I have read The Sound and the Fury twice and still can't stand it. Stream-of-consciousness is a flaky technique that's not pulled off by everyone
>DFW was a great essayist
>Cormac McCarthy is a puffed up Zane Gray
>Heart of Darkness is a beautifully written boring book

sailor moon > all literature

Mannerisms for the sake of mannerisms is fine.

I was legitimately about to say the same thing. The totality of all the plot elements employed in the various versions Sailor Moon are superior to any equivalent in the canon. Save for the numerous issues of its actual commercial execution it is closer to the ideal Aristotelian drama than anything else.

Anime, movies and any other form of media can be as thought-provoking and deep as books.

awkward pictures of hotties who don't wear underpants

18 people who definitely didn't get the right bikini size

you won't believe what happens next

No Bra Needed Here! Crazy Pics You Can't Unsee

These photos will make you love women's volleyball

Husband divorced his wife after looking closer at this photo

i'm gonna fucking kill myself

>text is dead
>videogames, movies and anime are the new literature

That's not an opinion
That's a fact

Literally all these are objectively false

ts eliot is overrated as fuck

Thats obviously your bullshit hipster opinion

Sailor Moon > Culture

Sailor Moon is a gift from God himself With K-ON and Sakura Card Captors

Joyce and Jesterman are shit. All Russian novels could do with a hatchet wielding editor. Austen and Bronte are garbage.

I agree, its a matter of depth of experience

Words are natural to all

Whether your vocabulary is refined or not wont matter when the content is sincere

you'll be welcomed in the afterlife by understanding individuals

I have no idea about objective standards but

I did not care at all for The Wasteland

There were certain parts that elicited the tedium of modernity for me, but the rest seemed unnecessarily obscure just for the sake of it or something

I'm sure there's more to it, but it ought to be also appreciable by the so called 'layman', otherwise you are just in an echo chamber of academia and there is no value in that alone.

sailor moon doesn't know how to use a computer, and is kind of obnoxiously proud of it

Wrong.

What are some examples of this?

This is like saying ''you don't need to see other drawings in your life to draw tell'' or even ''you don't need to listen to music to compose well''

Indeed; it is true. Think about it.

Have you tried reading "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock?". I haven't read a lot of poetry, really, but that's the most beautiful piece of poem I've ever seen. Haven't read the Wasteland, though

Lita is staring too long

Forgive my autism, but it's The Waste Land

Oh, don't worry, user. It's the right level of autism

I think it's more like "you don't have to have listened to every influential piece of music from the last 500 years to make good music."

you forgot the greatest maho shojo

It's garbage.

The Bible is overrated in terms of pure literary merit, all religious and cultural preoccupations notwithstanding of course :^)

Stephen King's reputation will grow after his death and his writings will be appreciated to some extent as literature by future generations.

Homer
Rimbad

To Kill a Mockingbird is an awful book about the author's classist detestation of poor white people.

Women can actually read, comprehend and write literature, and are capable of being intellectually deep. Most people (not just women) are simply dumb now, since democracy has meant there is no "intelligentsia" class anymore.

Joyce is overrated amongst the modernists. Eliot is far better.

It's more important to draw from life than to look at other drawings.

tfw no Sailor Moon blu-rays of original series

has science gone too far

> Veeky Forums is now /a/

BOOOOOO
BOOOOO
Please return back to your own board so I may discuss books in peace thank you have a nice day

Nope. How do you fail to understand a text this accessible?

post modernism is cancer

But that's also true, you gigantic faggot.

I enjoy reading books

Totally agree, feminism is cancer

Dude, the stranger is a fucking masterpiece, kys. Plague was only ok tho. A bit monotonous

So is Sailor Moon actually worth watching? The artstyle looks great but I'm not sure about the rest

The Raven is Poe's only acceptable poem. The rest is garbage.

As long as you accept that half of it is just straight up crap, it's the best anime series ever made.

> as long as you accept that it is shit
> it's the best anime series ever made

Nah fuck you

Copyright laws shouldn't exist so I could incorporate a fanfiction printing publishing house.

You don't need to read the Greek in this day and age. Most people haven't and if you somehow get into an argument with someone you can just call yourself a Platoist and call it a day, no one will actually call you out on your bullshit except for spazzes on Veeky Forums

Only the 90s anime though. The manga and the remake are actually quite bland.
Seems like all those Goldfish Warning writers salvaged the show.

The Bible, Homer, and Shakespeare are all unreadable and their influence on muh canon is predicated on showing how over educated the author is.

That's not Princess Tutu

>...won't matter when the content is sincere.

Sounds almost like a direct quotation from hemingway

Killua cute

I do not believe in powerlessness before the times. I only act like I did.

If you seriously think The Stranger is a masterpiece you need to read more, friend. It's pretty mediocre.

Hey fuck you guy. The first and last chapters of The Stranger are some of the best literature ever written.

Moby Dick is mostly filler.

Translations are fine if you don't care about linguistics and it would actually be an insane waste of time to learn German just to pick up on some obscure linguistic flourish Kafka made when you could easily just Google it.

King is a good writer, just not a good thinker.

Holy books only have literary significance. There is absolutely no logical reason to believe in God or anything that isn't physically/ scientifically demonstrable.

DFW was a genius.

Joyce was a genius, but he made the incredibly stupid decision to obscure his genius.

Why?

Please go back to r/books, where you belong.

this is awful, across the board

Every second we spend on the internet actively makes us retarded and discontent.

No its not

Reading the Greeks is a waste of time for anyone who's not a philologist

how do you explain the fact that the best writers were also the most well-read? I don't know about the earlier greats like Shakespeare, Milton, etc. (though Dante was clearly extremely well-read), but Joyce, Beckett, Borges, and virtually every other significant author read a SHIT load.

>Basement dwelling gatekeepers don't even respond to the points

Back to ribbit

Retarded yes, discontent I'm not so sure

GUYS! GUYS! HE ATTACKED RELIGIOUS BELIEVE!! QUICK! CALL HIM AUTISTIC BEFORE THE THREAD DIES!!!

>talks about camus
>doesn't mention the fall
come on man that's his best book. The stranger is child's play in comparison

Stream of consciousness makes me physically ill to read, and I think anyone trying to employ it is probably just full of themselves.
The Sun Also Rises is wholly worthless.

>doesn't read the Greeks
>associates with plebs
>lies to plebs to feel superior
You are an absolute pseud, user.

Serious question: are you in highschool?

not that user, but Camus is indeed pretty mediocre. He's not terrible, just not Dostoevsky tier.

Can't wait for someone to reply to you and insist that Dostoevsky is terrible

Russian writers are the worst (except Gogol and Turgenev).

kek

The far majority of critics of religion are experts in their respective field but laymen at best when it comes to criticizing religion and accurately representing/understanding the theology they're attempting to attack. IE Nietzsche, Dawkins, Hitchens etc. Sam Harris is only marginally better and Bart Ehrman is probably the best that I know of

>implying you need anything more than an American high school education to understand any of these

childish

Ulysses is pretentious

Cormac McCarthy's storytelling ability is ropy shits falling through a sweaty asshole.

>Akio: It hasn't been that long since then, but everybody's forgotten about her completely.
>Anthy: That person hasn't vanished. She's merely left your world.

high
school
chump

The fuck? Annabel Lee is on the same tier. Diving into his literal perverse nature is as good as understanding his paranoia.

I understood them, but did not feel i'd gotten much out of them for the time invested. Old Testament especially being padded out with genealogies and reams of laws that are pointless to read.

Dostoevsky is terrible

I don't care about what Veeky Forums recommends

One of the largest problems with them is they attempt to criticise religion from both a ecumenical and secular point of view, which any half-decent orthodox, conservative or traditional theologian won't even entertain.

Like how can anybody take academic biblical criticism seriously when half the department hold absolutely bonkers opinions like "Judas never existed, he was a later addition personifying the Jewish state" or that "Mary was a prostitute".

>IE Nietzsche
>Sam Harris is...better

Ok, you've proven that you yourself have no conception of anything of relevance worth talking about.

why post if you're going to say literally nothing
you could have simply said "I disagree" and your post would still be just as useless as the one you chose to type out

Popularity is the only somewhat objective way to determine the literally merit of a book.

>the literally merit

Reading anything except the Greeks is a waste of time.

definitely applies to your post

The live action is painfully underrated tho, even tho its all corny and shit the writing is amazing

Please explain to me hoe Sam Harris's understanding of religion is better. I will give an exception for his understanding of Buddhism, as I hold that Nietzsche genuinely misunderstood it in significant ways, but Harris's comprehension of Christianity simply pales.

>Being an atheist in 2017
If he wants to be a brainlet let him be

You're not wrong