Soude vive help thread?

My son got me a Soud Vide cooker and I just made a filet. It was fucking delicious, but what am I doing wrong? What else can I do with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw/videos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You should pan-sear it on both sides just before serving

What? My son never said anything about that. I'm going to kill him.

Dubs of truth, Allahu Akbar!

Figuratively not literally. Obviously.

Oh....well then

You can cook eggs in it OP

Pussy

Throw it in a smoking hot, oiled, cast iron pan for a minute or so, each side, to get a nice sear (also, if you're making anything with a fat cap, hold that down on the cast iron, too). You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the tip. I seared some of the leftovers, holy fuck was it delicious.

What else can I cook in a sort of set it and forget it method?

stop it

youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw/videos
This is a good channel for sous vide method test videos.

>Soude vive

It's "sous-vide" you uneducated fuck

the eggs are amazing. nice fudgey, custardy yolks with the just-set whites. yum.
Duck breast comes out preddy gud
72 hour short ribs are incredible
The best way to cook the worlds most worthless meat. boneless, skinless chicken breast.
Fish comes out great
Venison comes out great

It's worth trying different things. mostly what i do with mine:

>Catch a shit ton of fish
>clean, cut and portion
>pre-season and freeze with lemon, butter, herbs, salt, pepper, aromatics, right in the Foodsaver bag.
>vacuum seal and throw in the freezer for another day.

then in the cold of winter when i have screaming kids and i have a hankering for some fish, i just throw the bag, frozen, right in the water at 130 and come back and in hour and wa la.

>but what am I doing wrong?
Quickly sear it in a pan on high heat before serving. This will give you caramalization and a better appearance

>What else can I cook in a sort of set it and forget it method?
The benefit of Sous Vide is that, because the temperature stays constant and does not increase or decrease, you can theoretically hold something indefinitely.

>then in the cold of winter when i have screaming kids
why are there screaming children in your house. are you kidnapping peoples children? Fucking stop it you pedo

believe it or not, there are a tiny minority of 4chaners who actually manage not only to have sex, but to get married and have families.

It just seems like a contradiction, because I always imagined normal functional people would eventually grow out of this site. That they would find a lot of the content reprehensible, and not require anonymity to relate to others. That they'd have healthier hobbies. My picture of a 4channer in their 30s is of a grand wizard, because otherwise, what the fuck are they still doing shitposting here?

I guess i just give 'normies' far too much credit, and I have no idea what social media / reddit/ whatever is even like and why you might choose this instead. Just know anyone over the age of 30 that isn't a wizard posting about their piss bottles is ruining the culture here.

tldr ; muh sekrit club

I'm 29 and used to spend lots of time on /tv/, /sp/, /r9k/ but feel like I have largely outgrown most of this site. Retarded /pol/ shit has infiltrated almost every board and none of the memes are really funny anymore and are pretty much all mean spirited. Veeky Forums is the only board I regularly visit anymore. There is actual good content sometimes and as a cooking novice I do learn some stuff here. I think some of the memes here are funny and not nearly as autistic as the other boards. I will admit I cannot watch /jack/ webms without laughing heartily.

>My picture of a 4channer in their 30s is of a grand wizard, because otherwise, what the fuck are they still doing shitposting here?

Where else would I shitpost - facebook? They know me at work and IRL, there's no fucking way I'm sharing spicy memes on facebook.

>That they'd have healthier hobbies.

Ah see, there's some of it - I don't read Veeky Forums "as a hobby." My hobbies are gaming and cooking. I read Veeky Forums for the bantz.

>Retarded /pol/ shit has infiltrated almost every board

God yes.

is the only board I regularly visit anymore.

Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums here.

My mother and father are in their 60's and use Facebook, as do most of their friends their age.
I want you to think about that for a while.
I've been on this site since I was 14. I'm 28 now.

post meatbread recipes

Most other social sites don't allow you to be an asshole w/o repurcussions so this is a good place to blow off steam. Also Veeky Forums occaisonally has good threads as do /diy/ and /out/.

this is precisely why I'm still here after 11 years despite how much I hate the place.

More like, the more and more censored the normie web becomes, the more likely I am to come here.

>Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums here

I did a sous vide beef tenderloin for the first time last night, 132F for 3 hours. How did I do? It tasted pretty awesome

nice

i didn't shitpost tho. I just said i use my sous vide cooker mainly to reduce prep and cook time because i have kids.

allhumdillah my dubs will smite you down

ive been here 10 years now and have a relatively normal/sane existence.

Veeky Forums has been around for a while, and people in their 30s and up could have been mosting since the start of the site. I'm 32 now and I started frequenting the website longer ago than I care to admit. (I don't want it to become an oldfag pissing contest.) Maybe some people do normie out like you're saying, but the character of the website has changed a great deal since the early days. Things used to be a lot stranger, a lot more edgy, a lot more genuinely fucked up content. I remember when cheese pizza was fairly common, and that type of stuff has left the site. I think a lot of users just grew out of the edginess and stuck around.

Same, I'm pretty normie in my daily life but I've been here so long I literally can't function socially anywhere else on the internet because nowhere else allows you the freedom of expression Veeky Forums affords you. I wouldn't even know how to use reddit if I wanted to and I'm too stubborn to learn now.

Most other sites get bogged down with advertising and bullshit content that the users can't do anything about even if the site is primarily user content generated. Veeky Forums has a natural amount of advertising defense in assburgers and teen angst edge, even with numoot going hard at it. Someone will eventually find a way to convince people to spend money on Veeky Forums or it will simply die off, but until then, a lot of the BS here is preferable to the BS elsewhere, at least for stretches at a time. It's probably the closest thing to a user friendly site so long as you can wade through garbage content, which I find easier than most of the garbage content on sites that have squads, if not armies of people being paid to shove their garbage content in your face.

This.

Its called reverse seared steak.

You cook it to just under the temp you want then you hard sear it just before you eat it.

Best way to cook steak and its the only way i do my steaks now

It did turn out delicious.

I do this to prime rib

Delish

Question: what the hell is reverse sous vide? I saw that on a package at the store the other day, and it has haunted me since .

>meme vide

Instead of grilling / searing the outside of the steak first and finishing it off to temp you sous vide the steak to the temp and then hard sear it.

Its a backwards way of cooking a steak so they called it reverse seared.

na thats not true, the structure of the meat starts breaking down into an unpleasant mush, actually rather quickly with lean cuts.

you should try anything with lots of connective tissue op, pork belly is my fav sousvide thing, leg of lamb also great, desu everything comes out good if you have the right time/temp

Which way is.more delicious?

The regular way

This is the only large platform where at least some of the population actually says what they're thinking, and if it's an unpopular opinion, it can't be hidden by user votes, and won't be removed by an offended moderator.

I've been browsing this site since being an underage 14 year-old about more than 10 years ago. Presently, I just graduated university, prepping for law school, have a girlfriend, and a job. The KHV basement dweller does exist, but they're mainly relegated to the containment boards and memes, plus a lot of the oldfags just lurk now.

Usually won't be removed by an offended moderator, it happens at times but we're luckily sensitive as fuck about censorship here.

mods are cucks/soyboys/fags

I'm 23 and the whole "anonymity" aspect of the website has certainly lost it's charm ever since I outgrew my "le super secret club edgy mcedgelord" phase. I literally come here just because, shitposting aside, I enjoy the content and opinions that generally flow through the boards I frequent

>also get an urge from time to time to shitpost like a madman, but that's less frequent than it used to be

Mah nigga. No quicker way to get into a good playgroup than with a good pizza recipe

Is cooking sous vide safe? Cooking in the plastic bag and all. Or does the temp not get high enough for it to leach into the meat?

The Vac seal plastic is better then using like a ziploc sandwich bag.

I made 36 hour Corned Beef @ 175f

Usually I cook on the stove in a pot of water simmering for 4 hours.

But the Sous Vide way is in a water bath for 36 hours in a bag.

When it comes out its very tender but the flavor is much more intense.

You get more beef flavor when done sous vide. But when you boil it alot of the flavor is lost to the water i guess.

I just know that I always sous vide my corned beef now.