ITT post a subject matter and anons respond with the best authors/books concerning that subject matter

ITT post a subject matter and anons respond with the best authors/books concerning that subject matter

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Legacy-Totalitarianism-Tundra-post-ironic-spook-concious-ebook/dp/B00NJZ17AK
youtube.com/watch?v=e9wzX1Jc73I
cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/semantics-and-pragmatics/lexical-semantics?format=PB&isbn=9780521276436#TEC36sS0Rm8YYMV3.97
goodreads.com/book/show/7509076-the-selected-works-of-t-s-spivet
twitter.com/AnonBabble

that gay shit

Anybody know a book where a character falls into fantasy land and saves it, but the book handles AFTER he gets back and nobody knows why he has crippling PTSD and he can't tell anybody?

Because whoo boy, do I have a hard on for a book where a character falls into fantasy land and saves it, but the book handles AFTER he gets back and nobody knows why he has crippling PTSD and he can't tell anybody.

Systems Biology
Topological modeling

the closest I can think are ''Slaughterhouse 5'' by Vonnegot and ''No Longer Human'' by Osamu Dazai, bu they're both more to do mostly with PTSD

eh, I've read slaughterhouse 5 and No Longer Human is on my to read list, but neither are quite what I'm looking for.

JAMES
BALDWIN

Pure confusion. Books that you felt like were just made for confusion, like finnegans wake. But I want something even more of a shitpost than that.

Artificial Intelligence. Already expecting dozens of people saying Bostrom.

Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra - the author known as "Veeky Forums".

Naked Lunch

where can I actually buy this?

Satan Burger

Howl, by Allen Ginsberg. Les Champs magnétiques by André Breton and Philippe Soupault.

Giles Goat-boy. In most all respects.

De Chirico's Hebdomeros

my diary desu

Recommend me a book to prep for college level calculus
Bonus: any interesting and helpful math books (especially mindfuck ones)

I came to Veeky Forums for this very reason, I want to find the literature equivalent of the following:

Groundhog Day, Majora's Mask, and Tatami Galaxy are three entirely different stories, created through entirely different artistic mediums, with entirely different narrative structures. The key element of each of these is that they are all stories about repeating the same day/3 days/2 years, but even the purpose of the time travel in those stories are all different. In Groundhog, the protagonist is trapped in the loop and can't escape it. In Majora, the protagonist has 3 days to save the world from an apocalyptic event, and in Tatami Galaxy, the point is to show how the characters would interact with eachother if they had chosen a different path in their life. All of these try to take advantage of the unique traits of their chosen medium in order to further create a unique experience.

What novel, poem, or anything written, uses the same core premise as these three, but take full advantage of the written medium and are completely different in every other way?

Didn't even find a pdf anywhere, you'll have more luck with hypersphere.

How are you going to explain to normies why you spent actual money on a book about semen and lizard Dakota Fanning written by the literature board of a right-wing extremist Filipino finger-painting website
Also, check amazon.

>Didn't even find a pdf anywhere
Are you trolling.

MBTI

I'm watching The Mist (tv) right now and I know it's based off a Stephen King book, but I don't trust King to not have it be an awful ending.

Any books like it?

Feeling a void where there used to be something completly fundamental for your soul and now not feeling the escential little light that could somehow reveal something worth doing. If I ask myself, what do I really want? There is no answer.
What are some books about this?

Here you go, user
amazon.com/Legacy-Totalitarianism-Tundra-post-ironic-spook-concious-ebook/dp/B00NJZ17AK

Has anyone here fucked around with semantics?

I don't have the remaining credit hours left to be able to fit in a semantics course, so I'd like to teach myself.

Some good guide on self dick sucking?

youtube.com/watch?v=e9wzX1Jc73I

Artificial Intelligence: A modern Approach - Russell and Norvig

A whole life- Robert Seethaler, best I could think of

schizophrenia or mental illness in general

the same way I explain I spent money on a book about dick sucking corpses

Sword Art Online desu

Tatami Galaxy novel that anime is based on.

How good is this book actually? Worth buying a copy for further research?

Stewart calculus if you're a plebeian
principles of mathematical analysis if you're a patrician

This is tough for me to admit. But I am quite a jaded 25 year old who feels I have too many facts and not enough experience. Like Good Will Hunting with a broken heart thrown in.

People say I always appear lost in my thoughts. Tall order, but what do you guys recommend will open my mind a bit?

>The Bell Jar
>Mrs Dalloway
I don't think they're exactly about schizophrenia, but definately MI.

How to rid the world of non-whites.

cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/semantics-and-pragmatics/lexical-semantics?format=PB&isbn=9780521276436#TEC36sS0Rm8YYMV3.97

Read Dostoevsky

Revenge and/or escaping from jail
I've read the count of monte christo

Thanks a lot.

Have you worked with this book yourself?

Moby Dick?

I also want this

Seems interesting, any in particular such as Crime and Punishment, or the Idiot

I got you pham just give me a few years.

If I wrote this would you rather have two separate parts or one interwoven narrative that joxtaposes both times?

Juxtaposes*

self improvement

Damn y'all are some boring ass people who need to get laid

no problem dude

Both are good. I've dabbled with the idea myself, and attempt 1 was a non linear mess that slowly coalesces into him getting back home. Just in concept, of course. Second was the kid living in the normal world, and having flashbacks of his fantasy adventure, so the reader has to cobble together what happened. I kinda liked that one more, but I'm not picky.

Not that user, but the juxtaposed narratives could be interesting. You could show a traumatic event that happened to him in the fantasy world, and then the next bit could be him coping with the effects that event left on his psyche and so on.

Start with the Greeks. Then boyos like Wilde, Gide, Mishima, Genet, Mann, etc.
Look up Kenji Siratori.
The Turner Diaries
I don't know if it's any good or not, but NYBR has a book called The Three Christs of Ypsilanti, about a particular experiment and case study on schizophrenia. Also, I can't really speak for its literary quality, but I read some of a book called Brain Lock, about obsessive-compulsive disorder and CBT treatment. Has a lot of interesting stories mixed in. I know they also consulted the author for the film The Aviator.
Film: Visit to a Museum
Misleading title, by the way.

I'm actually gonna start writing this and credit "that guy who wanted a book like this"

Working title: "A Life Left Behind"

aww, thanks!
make a post when it's out and I'll make sure to pick up a copy

Russian history from the October Revolution to the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Memes

Bible

Autism

This is what I have right now:

A group of 12 year olds--each living in less than satisfactory homes--play with their new friend they found in the forest and beg him to take them to his home. Despite his warning that returning could be impossible, they agree that any other life is better. Only two return "a few seconds later" having lived many years, haunted by what they saw and did. They are unable to prove their story was anything more than a dream, while their fragmented visions slowly make more and more sense.

Thirteen years later a man visits the grave of his friend on the tenth anniversary of her suicide, struggling to keep his promise to her to live a normal life for all of them, and begins to look for something to hold onto, eventually discovering a talent for talking. His work with children in inner city schools has been praised for his ability to reach into the hearts of those thought too far gone, but he abandons it after a rather harrowing flashback to study different forms of meditation and coping practice from around the world.

BVMP

SERIOUSLY - Giovanni's Room
Also confessions of a mask, death in venice, the persian boy, and a thirsty evil

Water

yes

books about characters with gigantic egos

Advanced calculus loomis

Strange Life of Ivan Osokin, by P.D. Ouspensky

Law and Law School both

The Machine Question, David J. Gunkel

yes I've dipped into it couple times, haven't gone through the whole thing though. i keep an eye out for these red Cambridge textbooks, they're usually the best combo of breadth, depth, and accessibility

how to get [b emoji]ussy

Not something that takes full advantage by any stretch but a similar time loop book I fell in love with was All You Need Is Kill.

A purpose in life ;-;

Crime Scene Investigation
Criminal Defense
Martial Arts
Weapons Engineering
Critical Theory
Cobbling

Farming humans for resources (like for for food, or slave labor)
Cannibalism
Overpopulation

the movie "Soylent Green"

Already seen it and read the novel it's based on Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison (though the novel doesn't have cannibalism)
I'm looking for similar stuff, I'm especially interested in the idea of accidental cannibalism, general fiction about overpopulation, and the idea of human farming other humans.

>David J. Gunkel
Thanks. His works look at what I'm interested in the philosophy of technology. Anyone else you might suggest I read?

The Establishment

notes from the underground

A story which has a character interact with the world (characters, protagonist, etc) and the reader. Or just a book that attacks the reader through the story.

nah not really senpai. Check out some uni reading lists on artificial intelligence maybe? They've usually got pretty good recommendations

Any novels that are basically /r9k/: the book?

No Longer Human

Laberintos. No Borges pls

Any books that capture something like this? Surreal foreboding in the distance?
I know Chirico wrote a novel but I can't find it so please recommend something different.

There's a book called Mister b Gone by Clive Barker which does this but it's shit.

Give Slaughterhouse-5
a shot if you haven't.

The Road

Anything where the here turns out to be the villain in a skillfully tailored way?

I'm not sure why, but now I also have a hard on for that idea. Someone please do it.

Cyberculture

maybe the lime twig? i hear john hawkes' other stuff is similar in feeling too, but i haven't read anything else

The Elliot Rodger Manifesto

I kek'd

Human Rights

THIS THIS THIS SO MUCH
Never seen that painting before, btw. Looks nice

Hey, you still there, user?
It's pretty good. A little different from what I had in mind but it'll do nicely. Maybe after meditating he can learn to keep his triggers in check to go back and help the kids again? The harrowing flashback could make him think that he's useless in this world, but then stuff happens, and he realizes that helping children really is a great goal, and maybe he has to work on it before he can go back, but now he has a goal he wants to achieve. And he once killed a dreadlord tyranny in magic land, he can do this. Maybe a therapist suggests he writes the whole story down as a catharsis, and when he's finished, it's about the size of a book?Optimistic open end.

I'm kinda high right now, but I just wrote this:
It's a sloppy intro to a story idea I got about it awhile ago, but didn't expand on beyond a couple character sketches.
>"In the first story there is a girl, strong and sweet, hiding sharp sharp teeth behind plum colored lips. She saved so young and pretty on the hill at twilight covered in pretty dresses torn asunder and cloaked, down to the dew grass in blood and viscera. She has toppled a tyrant and fulfilled a prophecy of light. "
>"In the second story she is old now, not decrepit, but graying and weathered. But she is still beautiful and her teeth are still very very sharp. Her story is over and it hurts her, aches her and sticks needles in her heart. She is jealous of her story, and envious of the new young thing, strapping a sword to her belt."
>"In Between those two stories was a boy, young still, but younger then, all but fell into an adventure in the fashion of those before, but was sacrificed to return, broken and confused, to suffer alone."

Birds

goodreads.com/book/show/7509076-the-selected-works-of-t-s-spivet
I'm not sure who this book is for, but it's about a kid that is probably autistic- he's like 10 or something, and he makes the best maps and scientific drawing in the country, so some foundations want to give him an award, not knowing that he's only a little kid. So he just... goes. Food, Train hopping, hitchhiking. And has adventures along the way. I really suggest getting this book analog- the margins are really wide because they're filled with sketches and maps an observations. I actually really enjoyed it, despite me generally not liking coming of age stories.