Notes from the Underground

I have been made to understand Dostoevsky wrote this as something of a satire. I find this impossible to comprehend.

The character of the underground man is too resonant, too true, to be simple parody. How could anyone write such a character without intimately knowing his madness? Dostoevsky captures so much of my very soul in this work, feelings and sentiments I deemed near ineffable before, are you telling he meant it as a joke?

> I will explain; the enjoyment was just from the too intense consciousness of one's own degradation; it was from feeling oneself that one had reached the last barrier, that it was horrible, but that it could not be otherwise; that there was no escape for you; that you never could become a different man; that even if time and faith were still left you to change into something different you would most likely not wish to change; or if you did wish to, even then you would do nothing; because perhaps in reality there was nothing for you to change into.
;_;

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/thelastpsychiatrist/comments/5wq4u3/missing_post/dec58lc/?st=j6yj3kjb&sh=993975b7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He was a prophet and extrapolator. He foresaw Lenin in his novel demons (same facial hair, hand motions, manner of speech and of course communism).
He also foresaw autists like you.

The underground man prob was an aspect of dostoevsky. We all contain multitudes. He just accessed that part and exaggerated it. Dost in general was not a stable guy.

It's perfectly possible for someone to make a satire of themselves. There is such a thing as self-awareness.

But is it true that it's satirical? I can find no real source suggesting such but it's commonly accepted here on Veeky Forums.

What would it be a satire of?
He showed what kind of person was inevitable if western materialism/rationalism/utilitarianism were to dominate. And he was right.

Probably not really. Define satirical.

I should add that the saved whore was and still is a cliche and he was satirizing that.

Dostoevsky was exactly that kind of man in his youth as a radical.

The character is so resonant, true, etc, because Dostoevsky understands that kind of person thoroughly and personally.

>Define satirical.
In that he was mocking the character or that he is a mockery, that the underground man is meant to be absurd, not empathized with.

>not empathized with
Then yeah. I don't think it's a satire.

>is it true that it's satirical?
>it's commonly accepted here on Veeky Forums
wrong and wrong

He's a relatable mockery. That's why he's such a great character.

Dostojevsky presents you a few of the darkest thoughts a human can have and he wants you to solve them in the right way. Those who think it's satire do it wrong.

dostoevsky was an autist, he just captures it too well for me to believe he wasn't. I read white nights recently and his portrayal is just too intimate, too personal. it's as they say, every story is a partial autobiography of the author.

Is it a good start to Dosto' works?
It'd be my first book from him.

Dosto is literally insane. That's common knowledge.

Yes this or crime and punishment. This one is considerably shorter though.

this thread is 100% reddit

good post

reddit.com/r/thelastpsychiatrist/comments/5wq4u3/missing_post/dec58lc/?st=j6yj3kjb&sh=993975b7

What is this, who is alone