What is the DEEPEST thing you've read? what's the book that made you go: "whoa... really made me think.."

what is the DEEPEST thing you've read? what's the book that made you go: "whoa... really made me think.."

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran tied for tops :) they both mde me think

the bible

Anything by Cioran

Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan

"dat says de bibble"

a transcript of a Joe Rogan "comedy" show

Emily Dickinson, Paul Celan, William Shakespeare's poetry. David Hume, An Essay on Human Understanding.

Todesfuge is fucking harsh

Did the man who invented college go to college?

hm
ok den

Discourse on Metaphysics by Leibniz

I know I'll get shit on for saying it, but the ending of Life of Pi unironically made me think, and I'm not even religious.

I'll second Hume, but it's Enquiry not Essay. I think that's Locke

Any single page from Finnegans Wake.

"Der Naturwissenschaftler vor der religiösen Frage" by Pascual Jordan. It's an attempt to combine religion with science. The author developed the mathematic for quantum theory and didn't get the Nobel price because he was a Nazi.
I recommend this book to everybody who's desperately looking for a less pessimistic view on life (so to all of you)

The Critique of Pure Reason. First book that truly changed my thinking. Subsequently the Confidence Man and Spinoza's Ethics.

Culture of Critique by McDonalds.

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Probably that one article about how being able to perceive reality is an evolutionary disadvantage.

Definitely Cours de linguistique générale by Saussure. The concept of a semi-abstract structure constituted by contrastive relations absolutely blew me away, maybe the single most profound and clear idea I've ever read. Deeply influenced every aspect of my thought, it was as if someone turned the light on inside my head. Saussure is in my estimation one of the most overlooked minds of all time.

Also worth mentioning is Syntactic Structures by Chomsky. Specifically around 60 pages in, he makes this passing reference (literally probably 2 sentences) to the most core fundamental nature of a generative grammar: that essentially it is a finite-state machine with an additional dimension. I think my jaw actually dropped when I first read it. I was completely dumbfounded by the utter genius of his innovation. I still am.

As you can probably tell, I'm a linguist.

the library of babel by borges

What should I read if I want to get into linguistics and work my way to the heavyweights like Saussure and Chomsky?

"Oh the places you'll go" by Dr. Seuss and only years later I can look back and ask where did I go and why am I still here in my mom's basement?

If you've got an appetite just dive right into Cours de linguistique générale, it basically laid the foundation for modern linguistics. There's not much written prior that will be very relevant, unless you're really into historical linguistics (philology) .

If that's too much, there's a good book called "How Language Works" by David Crystal that's a good pop intro.

If that's too little, find an intro textbook on phonology.

2015 /mu/ was just one giant shitpost

YOU QUESTION THE WORDS OF THE MIGHTY JIMMY?

Anti-Oedipus by Deleuze and Guattari. It changed the way I think about being a part of a society, and for the better too.

Is there something i should read before diving itno that one?
How difficult is the prose? I'm more or less able to read in french and understand everything, so i think i could read it in french too.

holy shit that unironically made my neurons fire

t. pretentious undergrad
kys my man

Modern man in search of a soul. Ive read only like 3 Veeky Forums tier books though so this is subject to change.

Phaedo

Tasty trips

phenomenology of perception

it's rare to see it here. Mind-blowing stuff dude

Eat, pray, love!

This! also The Secret! brilliant stuff........

??? just trying to contribute to the discussion my man

My diary desu

Lol ignore him, Saussare is cool. But you didn't have to use the French title :^)

whoa..

The future of an illusion by Freud. Philosophical Investigations by Wittgenstein. Sometimes Heidegger, although some days I think he's a jackass. Almost all that I've read of Plato and Aristotle. Also a lot of DeLillo desu senpai

Not particularly deep, but something that I read in philosophy that I personally haven't been able to actively disagree with or disprove in pretty much any way. Which is pretty rare in philosophy, and also pretty impressive. It made me respect Heidegger a ton.

He said that all humans in any societal sphere live one of three different lives, that often change throughout their lifetimes. An aesthetic life, ethical life, or religious life. The aesthetic life meaning they do what they want when they want, for pleasure, fun, etc. Typically kids, teens and young adults do this. They don't care about anything but themselves more or less, just want to have fun. The ethical life refers to doing whats best for others, trying to help people out, etc. Religious is like ethical, but is centered on relationships with a deity.

The 'stigma' or whatever, is, that at any given point, every person is ultimately consigned to one of these types of lives. You may say, 'well I'm religious but I also like helping people.' In that case, you are either helping people for the sake of religion, or involved in religion for the sake of helping. One type of life is always dominant.

job
car
apartment
better job
etc

I love Joe Rogan. Which one in particular are you referring to