Who's the first postmodern philosopher? is it Hegel?

Who's the first postmodern philosopher? is it Hegel?

No, it's Derrida.

you could call Nietzsche a proto post-modernist, his ideas on truth and morals certainly had a big influence on the movement

define postmodern. Its probably diogenes or someone from way back

Hegel is the opposite of postmodernism because he proposes the idea of absolute truth and tried to prove it

nietzsche and husserl sort of lay the groundwork.

heidegger is probably the first big one.

Stirner

Who was the first philosopher?

>define postmodern
Anti-western, jewish-influenced thought

So Abraham? Jesus?

in western canon, thales

Balfour was postmodern?

Socrates

The Sophists.

Epicurus.

yep. sophists were fully pomo.

I told you, this is what Stephen Hicks does to your brain, but Kermitites won't listen.

redpill me on hicks
I've seen his name brought up on Veeky Forums sometimes

Matthew the Apostle

i think it's a submeme of peterson. i saw some user in another thread say he thought kant made postmodernism inevitable. if that's true, whoever he is, he hasn't read kant and took fichte's position as kant's.

Hegel is the first continental. Heidegger is the first post-modern. Nietzsche helped but it's really Heidegger who launched the po-mo skepticism, concern with ontological questions, feminist epistemologies etc

Proto-post-modernists: the sophits, Husserl, Nietszche
Actual po-mo: Heidegger

Neither of those is anti-west. Abraham is also the father of Edomites. Ya fools.

>feminist epistemologies
But I thought Heidegger was nazi????

Can someone explain how Heidegger is pomo?

>tfw a literal nazi started the movement alt-right fags are now complaining about

Heidegger's philosophy isn't a wholesale endorsement of Nazism but in it there is definitely some pro-Nazi ideology and people who deny this are dishonest (see: Derrida) or plain stupid. Heidegger's philosophy is Germanic neopaganism with no after-life.

Heidegger's de-struktion (ie. deconstruction) of western metaphysics is what allowed him to open the flood gates of relativism. While he was doing this in order to clear a space for a Germanic/Nazi socio-cultural renewal by eliminating any traces of Semitic philosophy (both Judaic and Christian, and Plato as well, whom'st've Nietzsche referred to as 'that Semite by instinct') there was nothing to replace the void he created.

Heidegger strongly critiqued origins of meaning that Europe had held on to since Plato and that opened up the possibility for radical relativism. So we get someone like Judith Butler who can rightfully claim Heidegger as an influence.

In short, Heidegger said that things come out of nothing and return to nothing. Existence doesn't come out of another apriori meta-existence but out of non-existence, to which it will return. So whatever meaning we have is ultimately finite, impermanent, subject to change and flux. Heidegger thinks this is the authentic way of looking at life, everything else is ignorant idolatry.

So now we have people who can deconstruct gender identity, race, religion, history, because most non-Christian and non-Marxist philosophers accept Heidegger's claim that everything is founded on nothing.

How worthwhile is Heidegger's philosophy depends on whether you believe he's presenting real arguments rather than just some observations. Part of this is whether you think Heidegger can argue that this 'nothing' isn't a thing, which he's simply using clever language to disguise the fact that if we're talking about nothing we're still talking about something (Plato already adressed this, and later Heidegger tries to move beyond language to help his case but the critique remains, is he simply reifying the nothing?) The other question is whether you think humans can believe in finite gods for the source of their morality and meaning. Nietzsche foresaw this latter problem and couldn't resolve it. I don't think Heidegger did either. I don't think most neo-pagans believe their gods are merely temporary.

Can humans really get beyond the Platonic-Judeo-Christian conception of God and morality?

He's post-modern in the literal sense of the word. Heidegger considered that modernity was the attempt to achieve an absolute mastery over all asppects of reality. The symptoms of modernity are the rise of modern science and technology; the attempt to discern all human activities in terms of culture, and to explain them through social sciences; the "degodification" of the West; and the understanding of Art as Aesthetics.

Ultimately, these symptoms stem from the subject/object division that was introduced by modern philosophy. To treat the world as a watertight world of objects in front of the subject is to fundamentally misunderstand the nature of Dasein and how it dwells into this world. Heidegger rejects the modern approach and asks us to consider the more fundamental way in which we already exist into the world. It's in this sense that Heidegger can be called post-modern.

I fucking hate you, Veeky Forums

>Can humans really get beyond the Platonic-Judeo-Christian conception of God and morality?

Isn't already the case outside of the western civilization?

>most non-Christian and non-Marxist philosophers accept Heidegger's claim that everything is founded on nothing.

You mean in continental Europe?

Paulus

Pontius Pilatus

>tried

That people still don't know he actually did it is one of the greatest victories of propaganda keeping people from reading Hegel and succeeding. How hard is it to realize that absolute knowledge is tied to a knowing?

Abosolute knowledge is self-knowledge, and it is a product of self-knowing, a pure recall of activity via activity. Literally the build up of culture, and especially empirical science, is nothing but a proof of the reality of absolute knowledge.

Literally this

Background
Kant->Hegel->Kierkegaard->Schopenhauer->Nietzsche->Heidegger
Postmodernism
Rorty, Derrida, Facault.

Hahahahahahahaha Who The Fuck Is Going To Die Hahahaha Layman Just Walk Away From Samsara Like Layman Wake Up Haha

yeah Heidegger critiqued buddhism too though even if he was arguably closer to buddhism/taoism

It is strange to think that Nietzsche is attached to Postmodernism. He seems to me the absolutely central figure of modernity...

The dissolution of all and everything is what modernity stands for...

Joyce wasn't postmodern, he was modern.

Celine was modern too.

And all the others of those, all those innovative, psychological novels and what not, those structurally experimental novels are modern.

So why is wallace post-modern? He reminds me of a morally cuckolded musil

What did he say about Buddhism?

Socrates

>Plato already adressed this

where?

It's like when people don't read the Shakespeare play but know Romeo and Juilet both die, and maybe some of the secondary character's names. Only with less basis.
I wouldn't even grade this because I'd assume someone got memed by Veeky Forums for trying to plagiarize their homework.
Much closer but you're veering a bit with the watertank analogy. Try to be clearer rather than captivating.

when people say shit like 'postmodernism ruined western civilization', they mean postmodernism as an art movement, or one specifically (philosophy)?

>or one specifically (philosophy)?
*one medium/one mean of art such as literature, philosophy etc

They're just retarded or linguistically sloppy. Saying that implies that Western Civilization was good before post-modernism, i.e. that modernism was good, as if there was no gradual thread of decline before 1945.

Nietzche - Genealogy of Morals

They have no idea what the are talking about and are mixing up relativism and postmodernism because they haven't read the texts get their philosophy education from canucks on YouTube

well done on bumping it and sharing your opinion

Jews created postmodernism in order to dismantle society and destroy western values

see
so its basically, supposedly, postmodernism = cultural marxism?

Postmodernism and Marxism not only are unrelated, but postmodernism rejects Marxism as it is a grand narrative that attempts to explain everything through historical materialism.

Marxism is another project of modernity which postmodernism attempts to move beyond.

>postmodernism = cultural marxism?
Nope, even though they're both anti-white, anti-western ideologies

t. someone who has no clue what post modernism is.

GO back to reading your infographs made by neckbeard stormfags.

Mein Kampf by Hitler. Unironically.

Fucking Based.

Parmenides

a before after modernist

What's wrong with my quick rundown? I'm trying to explain Heidegger to people who haven't read him. Or you were triggered by someone who claims Heidegger is flawed?

Protagoras.

christians fucked up pagan neoplatonism so theyre anti west

Dude, Hegel is the modern philosopher par excellence.

Nietzsche proclaimed the end, but his own philosophy falls trap to a 'reverse platonism', replicating the figures of the metaphysical tradition in inverse.

Heidegger or late Wittgenstein are both good bets for early 'postmodern', although the term first won ground with the 1970's movements. Tbqh, these people were also talking of a condition that was yet to come (although they mistakenly didn't see so themselves), and we are just now in our time right in the eye of the postmodern storm. It's scary.

JOHANN GEORG HAMANN

Paul of Tarsus

Jewish influenced
Spent his whole life scribbling about he hated the evil west and how it was "evil"

it's post-structuralism

it's also postmodern