Hey

Hey,
Im not sure if this belongs to /int/ or here but in one year I will be leaving for college to get degree in translationship (english+german, Im from east europe), Im not worried about my english but I need to raise my A2 level of german to B2 at least and I decided to do it through reading books. What german books would you recommend to me that arent too hard, can be some children books/fairy tale books as well

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!3NAEFQiD!pu7nQwa3rzYX7VoVGJvPJK-wE1uigWi0GxiAJyC1nZQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The idea of being able to convey a language in a school. You will never hit native level or get an actual feeling for those two languages. Please only translate into your native language.

Still want to learn a language? Ok turn back time and grow up in the respective countries. If you can't time-travel, at least make it a habit of speaking to natives several hours a day. Reading won't cut it.

The idea isnt to be able to know 100% about a certain language, I enjoy learning/speaking other languages, wordplays etc... and want to do it for work.
Also how do you explain I learned english just from reading? Being able to speak language comes naturally when you are able to read/write it, if you arent a language brainlet (Which I assume you are).
Feel free to post an autistic two page essay on why I shouldnt pursue my dream but it wont change anything. I have decided what I want to do in life, what about you?

hesse's fairytales (Märchen). they're not exactly fairytales, but kind of fantastical stories.

I'm actually a translator who was lucky enough to grow up in two cultures and learn two languages, which is where my understanding of language acquisition comes from: It's innately tied to culture.

Without total immersion, you cannot learn a language. You'll always sound like a tourist in foreign territory. You can kick and squirm as much as you want.

Good luck with your studies. Books alone won't make you what you want to be.

Are you actually retarded? He just wants an acceptable level.

Translator/acceptable level.

Pick one.

To add to my last comment, I know translators who let news/documentaries/etc. in their non-native language run in the background all fucking day long. Natives living abroad regularly return to their home countries to refresh their language.

Again: Books alone won't cut it.

And what the fuck do you know what's he going to do? He's asking for books and said his target is b2. If he wants to fucking translate internet memes for a living, so be it. It's his life, not yours. Pretentious fucks like you are the most annoying thing ever.

I think you misunderstood, its impossible to learn a language purely through books but its a nice starting point, I think its better than going completely naked to another country (although some people have success with that too). Anyway saying you cant be a translator unless you were raised in some multilingual family is bullshit, there would be like 10 translators in the entire world.
It aslo depends on what you want to translate, if its just some books, some technical stuff (manuals for electronics) etc... you dont need to be a god at certain language.
If you want to do some real time translating where no error or hiccup is allowed, or if you want to translate some extremely difficult stuff (laws for example) then yeah you have to be one of the best around. (which can only happen through decades of experience anyway)

I have this
mega.nz/#!3NAEFQiD!pu7nQwa3rzYX7VoVGJvPJK-wE1uigWi0GxiAJyC1nZQ

thank you so much for this

People like you have yet to find a profession. B2 isn't the final target by the way.

Again: Translation into the native language is okay given a very, very good grasp of the source language. For god's sake, concentrate properly before you insult people for giving actual advice.

>If you want to do some real time translating where no error or hiccup is allowed

He's studying to become a professional. You don't study to translate memes as a hobby.

In that field, no error is allowed, ever. You work to produce flawless texts.

An error rate of 1 per 100 words characters is already too high and you'll be required to fix/justify your errors to satisfy the proofreader/company.

do you have space for this ? Also i suggest you to buy those books irl rather than reading pdfs

Please lets try to not act like translating is a rcoket science. You are thinking too highly of yourself. It is HARD, but not impossible and practically anyone can reach C1/C2 with enough patience and enthusiasm.
Difference between the examples is that in real time translating you cant go back and fix mistakes, if you are just translating some text, you can always go back, read it again and fix everything.
If you think you need to be born with some special talent or need special upbringing to be a translator you are either stupid or elitist

No I think that books don't offer all of the answers, just the foundation. This probably applies to everything and not only to language.

all those files are in that .rar ?

gibemedats and what you got in russian too if that isn't too much trouble. Thanks mate

On topic, a here’s a few books that are both good and relatively easy to read:
- Faserland (often rather colloquial speech; no heavy slang though)
- Homo faber (mimics strict / precise expression of engineers)
- Thomas Bernhard’s writing, e.g. Alte Meister (sentences can be long, but are then mostly just repeating one thing over and over)
- Dürrenmatt’s crime novels (he mostly wrote these for money, but they’re still quite good, and also entertaining of course)

The final target for this thread I meant. And I found my profession years ago when I became a mathematician my dude.

yes, I do

I got really excited for a moment, thought these were novels.
I can't find Japanese language novels for the life of me.
Fucking chinks have really strict piracy laws so all I can find online are anime,manga and light novels.

Read the Harry Potter books. If you are into that,
Murakami is also pretty easy to understand haven't read the German translations though.

Maybe not for you.
A huge percentage of people online don't speak English as their native language, still sometimes it's hard to decide if someone is a foreigner or a native speaker judging by the text they write.

Bullshit I learned German in school and got better grades on my essays then my fellow (native) classmates in the final two years of Gymnasium. You can literally change your language of thought permanently if you're willing to.

T. monolingual retard

Google "German graded readers torrent"

There are around a hundred short, around twenty pages each, stories with questions at the end and short explanations for words that are uncommon.

Read short shit:

Die Physiker by Dürrenmatt
Everything "Gänsehaut" by Stine

This, back in HS I got a classmate from neighbouring country and she was better at our language than anyone else in the class. The guy is just trying to be a prick

faggot

its all in the link i first posted
that link is just torrents for the actual content
just download it ,its all in there