Why aren't you vegetarian yet, Veeky Forums? well? i'm waiting

why aren't you vegetarian yet, Veeky Forums? well? i'm waiting.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/10/how-much-water-food-production-waste
huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/food-water-footprint_n_5952862.html
vegsource.com/articles/pimentel_water.htm
thecattlesite.com/news/49594/how-much-water-does-it-take-to-produce-meat/
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/too-much-protein.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

probably because the vegan/vegetarian community is such a degenerate uneducated circlejerk

Because it takes more than one iffy infograph with no source that Linda shared on Facebook to convince me to abandon my basic biological functions

fuck water

Because steak tastes better then a huge bowl of bean salad.

But give me veggies and potato on the side plz

im not a vegetarian but i dont eat beef

its by far the most ecologically harmful meat and its also probably the worst for you health wise

i also try to limit other meats to once or twice a week

well it's a start. some day you might make it.

Because I dont wanna.

Because I’m a man, and society has taught me that men eat steak, drink whiskey, and bully vegetarian faggots over the internet.

In all seriousness though, I’m taking my wife out on her birthday to a place in Portland that serves Foie Gras. I’m driving four hours to get there, just to piss off my ex girlfriend who chastises me on Facebook for posting pics of the deer I kill and butcher.
My wife hates the idea of eating Foie Gras, but I swear to Christ if she doesn’t eat it, I’ll emotionally abuse her to the point where she can’t even form complete sentences anymore.

I love beans, but digestible protein is higher in beef than beans by far, and they ignore carbs. Fat is also a big player, both in the pro and con areas. Then there is the matter of complete vs incomplete proteins. That's easy enough to make-up for without the meat, but you'll be adding more carbs and/or fat. Fat isn't a big deal since beef has a lot more anyway, and it's generally a healthier fat from vegetable sources, but it plays into the big picture. I really don't like it when nutrition is oversimplified for the sake of promoting vegetarianism. You are essentially promoting unhealthy dietary choices at that point.

>1,480L of water

I'm a heterosexual.

Because its boring

How about you make jerky from the dry beans?
Seems like a good solution. BERKY

>I’m driving four hours to get there, just to piss off my ex girlfriend
Married and still butthurt about your ex-gf.
Truly pathetic.

Because I'm pescatarian master race.

Cause meat tastes good and yolo

Zach the fishmonger?

They've been doing it for decades in Asia, kid.
See "Tempeh", a specialty of Indonesia and other Asian countries nearing it. It's LITERALLY "bean meat", structure, cooking properties (can be fried like a pork cutlet AND they make burger cutlets from them), and taste-wise.

Well, I don't eat a heap of deep fried pink slime drenched in HFCS for every meal, so by Veeky Forums standards I'm not just vegetarian, I'm vegan

Want to know why its unsourced? Because its a crock of shit

>married
>still going out of your way for an ex
God damn that's pathetic

I like food.

because meat is fucking delicious

This (you) farm is coming along nicely.

I was for a year. Considering it again. My shits were so nice.

I think they mean that's what it takes to "grow" each thing. Cows drink lots of water making that steak.

> it's a crock of shit

Nope. It's just dry beans like the first commenter stated, while you're posting boiled ones. Dry beans are around 20g protein per 100g product, boiled are closer to 7-10g, because of the amount of water absorbed.

>meat comes from the store

because meat tastes good and im a chef so. fuck vegetarians and vegans.
Just dont eat too much meat and dont eat trash meat and youll be fine.
Not much about that its more about the millioans and millions of cows farting and burping all day.

thats extremely dishonest then
it should be the amount of water the cow drank divided by the % of the cows body mass the steak made up

unless of course they want to hold each individual apple responsible for all the water a tree drank over its entire life

>unless of course they want to hold each individual apple responsible for all the water a tree drank over its entire life
but that is in fact what people do. not so much apples because those tend to be grown in areas where water is not much of an issue, but for stuff like nuts, pomegranates, etc.

is this the first time you've ever considered where your food comes from?

>extremely dishonest
I don't believe that, but I'll give you disingenuous at least. You have to grow a full cow to get any steak. You can grow beans with more precision.

I believe I could do vegetarian, but I could never manage vegan. Any good beginner tips?

Try to cut one thing a year. Maybe start with pork this year.

Not all proteins are the same, you know. They might have the same amount by weight but that doesn't mean they have the same amino acid score.

More general question here, but how do vegetarians and vegans feel about hunting? Even if I did go full vegetarian, I would one hundred percent support hunting. Unless/until people see value in conserving land for its own sake, hunters are one of the biggest contributors of wilderness conservation by both land and money.

man i love beans but how the fu/ck/ did he measure them

I went vegan totally on a whim. I'd say It's mostly force of will. Otherwise, start with what you like and add new ingredients has you feel comfortable. I hated kale, didn't like eggplant or cabbage etc before. Now my tastes have adapted and I love them all.
Take it at your own pace, any progress is good progress.

What, do you think there's like some pope that tells vegetarians what to think?

Let's try an analogy. You know how meat eaters are sometimes gung ho about hunting, sometimes have a shit fit about hunting, and sometimes are neutral? Well as it turns out, people who don't eat meat also have a variety of points of view, largely because people who don't eat meat may abstain from meat for a variety of different reasons.

I don't live in a dust bowl struggling for water
if people want to stop growing cows and nuts I don't care, I'll eat something else. Food and water will never be a scarcity because of where I live

6/10 bait

>I never had kale before I tried a fad diet
That isn't "veganism" that's just "trying stuff at the supermarket other than hot pockets"

Brotip: vegans need protein, kale is just for the micronutrients

Many vegans treat vegan like it's a religion, so you could say that popular vegans are their source of pope-esque divine revelation. Would be a reasonable way to find an estimate.

What about more grey areas? Like I'm fine with dairy, but that means cows are getting raised on farms anyway. They're domesticated, so once they end their useful life, it's more cruel to free them than to butcher them, and it's prohibitive to continue raising them for free, especially when farmers are usually on the brink of bankruptcy anyway. Would a utilitarian approach of "Well, for now I'm trying to minimize impact as much as is feasible. Hopefully in the future, we have a better solution to this, but for now, it's an unavoidable consequence" or a something like that be a morally/philosophically justifiable answer?

Obviously the easiest solution is to go vegan and cut out all animal products, but what are some vegetarian answers if I'm unwilling to commit to a full vegan lifestyle?

unless you're a subsistence farmer, it's highly unlikely that your quality of life is unaffected by global commodity markets

"I don't care" is a totally different matter and of course that is your decision

because i stopped caring, there's not much else to it.

I was curious if there's a generally accepted or standard stance. Like Veeky Forums is not a hivemind and there's no Veeky Forums president to decree these things, but the general consensus is still that reddit and people from there suck.

I don't know how you define "religion", do you mean they don't budge when you insistently ask them why they aren't eating steak? huh? huh? how bout now, bet you want some steak, huh? huh? god why are you people so obnoxious, it's just steak?

for the record, I am not a vegan, but I dated one in college

>the general consensus is still that reddit and people from there suck.
I think you're confusing a "meme" for "consensus"

I shitpost about reddit like everyone else, but I also have 4 accounts there and have been a regular for the last few years. in some ways it's less tyrannical than Veeky Forums, where a single mod can follow you around and global ban you for having wrong opinions.

It does get broken down like that to where one pound of beef is something like 400 gallons of water

I'm not, but I also wouldn't mind being one
c'est la vie, if I need to start hunting my own meat then so be it. The only reason I don't is the convenience of not having to
if the stores stopped selling it I'll pay the $15 for a permit and go shoot a deer

>The only reason I don't is the convenience of not having to
understatement of the year, that's like saying "the only reason I go to the doctor is that it's more convenient than going to medical school and going through residency"

yeah basically this
everything is fucked and there's nothing i can do do or not do to change it so i might as well just enjoy it

I hardly think spending the weekend camping once or twice a year is that much of a hardship
it's basically going on vacation with a side quest

>once or twice a year
it's cute that you think that's what it would take for you to become self-sufficient in the event global commodity markets were to shut down

I have this attitude, but I still feel bad for mistreated animals and can't really enjoy meat anymore because of that. I dont care if others eat the stuff, i just personally don't.
Still will eat the fish I catch and animals my brother hunted though

This article theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/10/how-much-water-food-production-waste is saying between 5000 and 20,000 liters of water for 1 kg
huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/food-water-footprint_n_5952862.html is giving a similar number. In pounds/gallons, but converting it gives about 15000
vegsource.com/articles/pimentel_water.htm is giving a little lower, closer to 10,000 liters per kilo
thecattlesite.com/news/49594/how-much-water-does-it-take-to-produce-meat/ And this one's supporting 15000 again

So no, looks like that 1500 liters is for the 100grams and not the whole cow. Feel free to try and find some counter evidence. BUT you also have to remember that water is renewable. I feel like the acreage requirement is more important than the water requirement since land isn't renewable. It also takes far more fuel and energy to raise meat.

I'm really not at all concerned, I live in a northern wetland, millions of migratory waterfowl come through here every year
deer cause more car accidents than other cars
I can walk outside during the warmer months 200 yards in any direction and fill a basket with figs, apples, or pears

and I don't even know how to really forage or hunt yet. Meat is so abundant though I can just toss a rock into the bushes and it will probably kill something
a pellet gun would be more than enough for bagging the geese, rabbits, and squirrels all over the place. and I haven't even thought about the fishing possibilities yet
there's so much fish in these rivers that some varieties don't even have a harvesting limit imposed on them for non-commercial anglers

>why aren't you vegetarian yet, Veeky Forums?
Because I'm still an embarrassment living at home and my mom cooks dinner for me.

I'm not contesting that you are physically capable of being self sufficient, any more than I'm telling you that you can't be a doctor if you set your mind to it

the point is, "I buy food at the store because it's more convenient" is a massive understatement just as "it's only $15 for a permit plus fifty cents for a bullet" is a misrepresentation of the cost - to you, in your actual real-world circumstances, including opportunity costs - of obtaining meat from a wild animal

it's like these people who talk about "saving money" by clipping 5000 coupons and driving all over town for on-off deals, costs are about much more than the cash value of a transaction, it's why we have specialization of labor

i don't eat factory farmed meat because it tastes bad

So this is a cooking board, right? Where are all the vegetarian recipes?

You can't really call it that here without manchildren sperging out about muh peta. People are fucking insane about these labels. Like, I took my coworker to a south indian joint and he loved it and kept asking me to remind him of the name (it has a "foreign" name) so he could tell others. Then he was like "hey wanna go to the place again" and I'm like "oh the vegetarian joint" and he was like "no, I ... uhh" and there was a long silence as he wrestled with the fact that he not only had eaten at, but had enjoyed and in fact promoted a VEGETARIAN restaurant

He never brought it up again and has not agreed to go there since

tl;dr: you want vegetarian recipes, find 'em yourself and post them here if you like, but don't call them that unless you want drama

oh shit nigger I could have simply been eating 6.8 lbs of cooked beans a day for my incomplete protein!

800% of my daily fiber to help regulate me as well, wow! so health!

You need to have this fight with yourself, so I am glad you're starting it. I am on my way to vegetarian and started by cutting out all red meat (mammals) for the past 6 years. You just need to find what you're comfortable with morally, ethically, and healthwise. Good luck.

Why don't you just drink protein shakes with beans, huh? Works like a charm.

>incomplete protein!
that isn't a thing, user. there is such a thing as essential amino acids but they don't combine like voltron in your stomach, you can get them from separate food sources. if you're a one-pot meal kind of guy you can just do rice and beans and that contains everything you need, amino wise

>combine like voltron in your stomach
kek

>want to be vegetarian
>cut back on the meat
>turns out I have to also stop using other products if they so much as touched an animal during production
>can't use computers
>can't drink anything with sugar or anything refined in a farm, since threshers and tractors hurt animals
>can't live in a house, since most construction equipment was made from animal products
>end up living in a hovel in the forest, die of natural causes because medicine was tested on animals first

T-thanks veganism.

oh shit nigger I could simply been eating 16.7 lbs of potatoes a day to get my incomplete protein!

How stupid of me!

Thick skull

Black beans have 6g of protein per 100g of mass.

Unless you want to be a literal soyboy, you have to eat meat to get a lot of protein.

>beef
>$3.00/100 g

How much protein does a non-bodybuilding human need per day though, user? You need to answer that first.

What about kendrick farris

even bodybuilders need way less protein than GNC shills want people to believe. it's crazy how much money teenagers spend on protein powder thinking that chugging 3 scoops a day is going to magically turn them into some kind of Mr. Universe

>2 of the top 3 are vegetarian options
So... no we don't need to eat meat?
>soyboy
You know that's just a meme, right?

Depends on what you mean. Every man should be working out. If by “bodybuilding” you mean extreme muscle head shit, it’s still the same amount of protein, which is a shitload.

>shitload
[citation needed]
I'll wait.

I don't even feel bad for them. The tiniest amount of research tells you that you don't need a ton of protein to gain muscle. People have smart phones and can't even use them.

"working out" is some zumba tier soccer mom shit

if you have a strength deficiency, sure, by all means, train to correct the deficiency. for instance my push movements are weaker than the rest of my body owing to my lifestyle, so I do some push exercises (mostly just barbell push press) twice a week. I also have underdeveloped hip abductors due to cycling so I train those specifically

being physically active does not require getting yelled at while wearing a leotard

t. bike commuter

You dont become vegan/vegetarian because it tastes better. Nearly every OP for meatless threads starts with an essay about how evil someone is for eating meat or animal products. Naturally this draws anyone who feels like being defensive or antagonistic, and has also been a great source of (You)s for pretty minimal effort.

The iron in beans is less available than in meat, as well.

those are called "trolls", user

same as the people who claim not to tip

Before I answer your soyboy request, what is your definition of “shitload?” Because mine is about a hundred grams per day.

What the fuck are you babbling about? Just go to the gym or get some home equipment. There’s no need for meme-tier Zumba or leotard shit.

Okay, show me a study that says men need 100g of protein a day. Let's start there.

B-but I am

Oh man, I think everyone should lift heavy to be healthy and if you lift it should be symmetric. You might want to add some more shit in there to even it out bud, just a thought.
>being physically active does not require getting yelled at while wearing a leotard
got a snicker out of me

How do they fit so much water in such a small mass of food?

How much do you weigh? It should be about .65g/lbs of lean body mass. Excessive protein consumption leads to a lot of complications

never gunna make it
>been eating 250g/day

[citation needed][again]

Jesus Christ woman, let me look it up. But I know for a fact the average sedentary adult needs about half a gram of protein per pound. That’s about a hundred grams for someone who’s 200 lbs and not working out. This is according to the NPD. do I really have to do the legwork to spoon feed you the rest?

>Excessive protein consumption leads to a lot of complications
if you don't have impaired renal function they even studied diets where people went up to 300-400g with no complications.

>why aren't you vegetarian yet, Veeky Forums? well? i'm waiting.

Because Vegeterianism causes a long list of health issues, not the least of which is Colon Cancer.

> Long term vegetarian diet changes human DNA raising risk of cancer and heart disease

Long term vegetarianism can lead to genetic mutations which raise the risk of heart disease and cancer, scientists have found.

Populations who have had a primarily vegetarian diet for generations were found to be far more likely to carry DNA which makes them susceptible to inflammation.

Scientists in the US believe that the mutation occured to make it easier for vegetarians to absorb essential fatty acids from plants.

But it has the knock-on effect of boosting the production of arachidonic acid, which is linked to inflammatory disease and cancer. When coupled with a diet high in vegetable oils - such as sunflower oil - the mutated gene quickly turns fatty acids into dangerous arachidonic acid.

The finding may help explain previous research which found vegetarian populations are nearly 40 per cent more likely to suffer colorectal cancer than meat eaters, a finding that has puzzled doctors because eating red meat is known to raise the risk.

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/too-much-protein.aspx

I'm talking long term

220 lbs. I’ve been lifting heavy for about a year and a half. I started off as a chubby noob barely lifting at all, and still ate the same amount of protein. It’s ok to be careful, but the line in the sand isn’t that thin. I’ve aren’t as much as 160 grams in a day, maybe more, and was never negatively influenced.
The point is, don’t be a faggot. If you’re counting calories or protein intake, you’re doing it wrong. Be careful, but don’t be gay.